Best HTPC Build

TrueDink

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've built a couple of PC's in the past but have fallen behind on tech over the past few years. I'm looking to build a HTPC to handle 1080p broadcasts and play bluray (preferably ripped to a HDD). I have a Sony STR-DA3600ES so will need it to pass HD sound via HDMI. I was going to canabalise my old tower running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4800+ 2.51GHz but don't think this will cut it.

What current kit list would you recomend for a dedicated near silent HTPC not for gaming use?

:lease: Help

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Grangey.

Couple of problems with that solution.

My tower is pretty damn noisy and I want to have my HTPC in a case to sit next to and compliment my amp in a cabinet.

Would transplanting mobo into a new case be an option?

I was going to canabalise my old tower running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4800+ 2.51GHz but don't think this will cut it.

I'm running the same processor in my Windows 7 32 bit system. No problems at all with any HD material. Chuck an ATI 5450 in it as Grangey said - the GPU will handle all the decoding rather than the CPU with the right software.

Last edited:

My tower is pretty damn noisy and I want to have my HTPC in a case to sit next to and compliment my amp in a cabinet.

yep, transfer as much as possible into a new case, change to some noctura fans or similar, upgrade cpu cooler fan to a silent one, job done :)

to get it a quite as possible use NEXUS fans they are amazing look for the ones with white fans they are silent

Great. Thanks for the help.

What case would you go for between the SilverStone LC10 and LC17?

Has anyone had any experience with the MS-Tech MC-400 case?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom