Best Horror DVDs?

apart from all the mentioned films on here, classics like elm street series, the thing (JC version), etc, Slient Hill does a pretty good job for a new film.

Do you consider the Elm Street series classic? Personally, I thought it proved the law of diminishing returns that all horror franchises are guilty of.

And Freddy Krueger just never scared me. Maybe in the first one, yeah he was a bit frightening but beyond that the character just degenerated.

All my in opinion of course; ultimately if Elm Street is your bag then that's fine.

Saw the Korean movie 'the host' at frightfest last night - very good black comedy horror movie.

9.00 p.m. THE HOST.
Move over Godzilla. There’s a new giant monster on the loose in Asia that’s bound to become a classic and it’s Memories of Murder director Bong Joon-Ho’s thrilling mix of Toho-style mayhem and zesty Alien scares done in the politically aware pulp style of Larry Cohen’s Q-The Winged Serpent. Old formaldehyde dumped years before into the Han River causes a humungous tadpole mutation that unfurls under South Korean bridges to attack Seoul natives and carries off young schoolgirl Hyon-seo (Ko Ah-sung). The mystified government claims the sea beast is host to a terrifying unknown virus and fumigates the area. Assumed dead by the biohazard authorities, Hyon-seo’s distraught, if gormless, father Gang-du (Song Kang-ho) is convinced she’s alive, avoiding military capture and surviving lobotomy to enter the cavernous sewers to locate and save his spunky daughter. Meanwhile the citywide panic gives new strength to Gang-du’s frayed family ties, especially failed National Archery Champion Nam-ju (Bae Doo-na). High drama and low camp combine with Jaws-style shocks from the terrific CGI monster (supervised by Kevin Rafferty of Star Wars: Episode 1 * The Phantom Menace fame) in the screaming, chortling, jumping hit of the Cannes 2006 Director’s Fortnight sidebar. Marbled with straight-faced character humour that constantly throws the viewer into giddy touch, and a keen awareness of genre-savvy fright fusion, The Host is a corker of a Korean creature feature that will set the pulse pounding and the heart racing.

Thats what they said. They were pretty much right. Great monster effects and a couple of real jump scenes - I don't think I have jumped that much in years. Its not really a scary horror movie but very good fun.

By the way agree with the posts re the old hammer movies - i was checking out dr phibes rises again just the other night on sky+.

bcham said:
any one seen southern comfort best horror film.
I did once, didn't make me jump. Worse 90 minutes ever.

Bottle just sat there, glaring at me. :D

quarry2006 said:
Do you consider the Elm Street series classic? Personally, I thought it proved the law of diminishing returns that all horror franchises are guilty of.

And Freddy Krueger just never scared me. Maybe in the first one, yeah he was a bit frightening but beyond that the character just degenerated.

All my in opinion of course; ultimately if Elm Street is your bag then that's fine.

i should of said the first film is. Dont forget it been out since 84, about 22 years old. People today might not rate it as a classic, but when it came out and years later, it was and is a defining movie, and scared alot of people. Def cult classic. I still liked the rest. A least the final one helped to save the weaker in-between movies.

raigraphixs said:
i should of said the first film is. Dont forget it been out since 84, about 22 years old. People today might not rate it as a classic, but when it came out and years later, it was and is a defining movie, and scared alot of people. Def cult classic. I still liked the rest. A least the final one helped to save the weaker in-between movies.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Liam:smashin:

My wedding video.....(joke,still unmarried).

Descent,made me jump watching it here in my dark,dingy flat.:eek:

the descent is seriously scary! Watched Exorcism of emily rose last week and it was pretty good as well.

As for classics.
The Thing is great and american werewolf in london made me not walk in forests for years!

oh and the shining

Stephen King's 'Christine' did me in, however I was only like 9 at the time ;)
Problem for me is like some here, nothing scares me anymore, some things make me jump but little scares. The last thing to scare me was the girl in 'The Grudge' the frame skip and creepy music as she 'walked' towards the security camera in the office building un-nerved me somewhat.

Jamesy_UK said:
The last thing to scare me was the girl in 'The Grudge' the frame skip and creepy music as she 'walked' towards the security camera in the office building un-nerved me somewhat.

Just reading that scene sent shivers up my spine, that whole scene in the toilet then that bit freaked me out no end :eek: :eek: :eek:

Neil

Brother said:
Has anybody seen the grudge 2? Is it any good?

There is also a U.S. sequel on the way - see trailer here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/thegrudge2/

Yep I've seen all 4 movies in the saga (2 TV (Ju-On 1 & 2) & 2 Cinema (Grudge 1 & 2) ) and they are all great, the TV versions are the best as they explain the story more.

I recommend tracking them down, well worth seeing.

Neil

My personal favourites at the moment could no longer be considered scary but are classics.

Frankenstein and the sequel The Bride of Frankenstein.

They have both been given good transfers but by far the best thing are the disc extras.

The frankenstein files on the first title is a superb documentary telling the story of how Mary Shelly's novel went through many adaptations over the years (stage plays mostly) before Universal picked it up. How Karloff got the role and how James Whale came to direct.

Karloff's portrayal of the creature remains a haunting masterclass in mime and pathos.

I would not claim these films as scary ( although i'm sure they were to 1930s audiences ) but they are both wonderful movies worth owning.

Too many to name as favourite but I did watch Dawn of the Dead the other night on Sky and enjoyed it ,and Im not usually a fan of zombie films.the final scene in Blair Witch creeped me out as I bet it did to a few:D

This made me laugh (ok nervous laugh) I had exactly the same thing after watching Black Christmas late one night in the early 80's, I was in the house alone -family had gone on holiday- and the bedroom door had a little glass window above it through which i could see the loft hatch , if you've seen the films ending you'll know what I mean :-

QUOTE=Soundwave]Had me creeped out all night...my old room at my parents used to have the loft door right outside so I'll say no more :eek: :eek: Neil[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of horror flicks, especially the old ones (Nightmare, Halloween etc.) recently I've enjoyed (or not :D ) the total suspence ones;
Descent was edge of the seat for me as I hate confined spaces !!

1/ Saw2 was awsome :thumbsup: Very horrific, very very gruesome but well worth it, has to be one of my favourites especially because of the twists at the end
2/ Hostel was horrific, like watching a snuff movie, didn't feel right watching it, one hell of a film and to think that this sort of thing probably goes on all the time !!
3/ Wolf Creek - totally edge of the seat stuff !
Also Jeepers Creepers had me spelled until the last part when it got ridiculous, ruined what could have been a totally believable story :(

Any suggestions for others for me to watch ?

An overlooked classic is Brad Anderson's Session 9

After everyone going on about how scary The Descent was, I watched it last night and was left disappointed. Yes, it is jumpy and gory in places but not scary imo.

The last film that left me really scared was Ju-On, now that was scary! :eek:

Tejstar said:
After everyone going on about how scary The Descent was, I watched it last night and was left disappointed. Yes, it is jumpy and gory in places but not scary imo.

The last film that left me really scared was Ju-On, now that was scary! :eek:

I didnt find Descent scary, for me it was a action survival movie. Only supernatural/ghost movies are scary, like Ju-On, The Eye 1 & 2, etc. And they tend to be foreign too.

I think with the Descent, for me it was more the thought that it could be me stuck down there and actually feeling what they must be going through, with the occasional 'don't do it!!/don't go that way' - I think if pot holing isn't a scary thought for you then you probably wouldn't find it too much of a horror story ...? It did it for me though :eek: :)

raigraphixs said:
I didnt find Descent scary, for me it was a action survival movie. Only supernatural/ghost movies are scary, like Ju-On, The Eye 1 & 2, etc. And they tend to be foreign too.

Action survival was the word I was looking for! You're right though, Asian cinema seems to have the supernatural chiller market sewn up. Ju-on scared the bejesus out of me, have't plucked up the courage to watch the sequel yet… :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom