Best Horror DVDs?

Brother

Recently for me:

The Descent
House of 1000 Corpses (better than devils rejects I thought)
Cannibal Holocaust (uncut edition - saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and it kind of makes Hostel look tame)
The Grudge (talking the U.S. edition - it's not the done thing but I thought it was really very scary)

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Got to agree with The Descent. Watched it on DVD and then on Sky Movies 9HD - superb sound, great PQ and some good jump out of your seat moments!

quarry2006

The Texas Chiansaw Massacre. It's the daddy of all horror films. The DVD is tops too as it has plenty of extras and comes in a an optional black or white slipcase with additional book with comments from Mark Kermode amongst others.

The Hellraiser Lament Configuration Box Set. The first three films from the series and a bonus disc featuring two of Clive's early films. Downside is the depletion in brilliance from the first episode onwards. Second film has an almost Argento feel to it but suffers from a budget that couldn't match the vision of the story. As for the third, it looks like an MTV video. Nevertheless, the box set is going for a song so get it for the first film and the beautiful presentation alone. Some extras - interview with Doug Bradley on all of the films plus some documentaries and conmmentaries on all three features.

I don't have a great deal of recommendations if we're talking "best" here. As with all genre films, there aren't many that would classify as "best" but an awful lot that would pass for "mediocre", "derivative" and "downright bl**dy awful".

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Abbeygoo said:
Got to agree with The Descent. Watched it on DVD and then on Sky Movies 9HD - superb sound, great PQ and some good jump out of your seat moments!
Amen

Can't wait to watch this again (when i pick it up - hell i might wait for the HD/BR version:rolleyes: ) on my Panny:thumbsup:

Pooed me silly first time i watched:rolleyes:

Alone in the dark i might add though:rolleyes:

rhythmslave

Are we talking about best film or best dvd?
There are plenty of great films out there that haven't had the dvd treatment they deserve.
If we're talking about great film and great dvd then I'd have to say The Thing and From Dusk 'Til Dawn, as I love these films and they have great extras too.

Brother

I think a mixture of great movie and great DVD works.

I have the Japanese version of the Grudge at home but I have actually held off watching it as the american one was so scary.

Got the lament configuration - agree totally. I actually loved Hellraiser 2 but the third was very poor. Wasn't it based in the U.S.? It was unfortunately an indication of what was to come for that series.

The Phantasm sphere set is pretty good in the same vein of set.

Got to add in sean of the dead, this is going to sound bad but the remake of dawn of the dead (original is great too but loved the sale of the remake), Evil Dead 2 (which deserves a better disc). And looking forward to Pulse - have you checked out the trailer on quicktime. Worth a look.

Mark_a

There's something of a difference between what genuinely horrifies you, and what makes you jump. And even considering what's horrific can be separated into what horrifies and disturbs, compared to what would have you cowering in terror. They might be the same thing, but they're just as likely not. If you're not religious, or a believer in the paranormal, it's much more difficult to suspend disbelief when it comes to that type of horror film. Which leaves you with man-made or natural horror, such as psychos or snakes, and the like. Suspension of disbelief with those sorts of films is a matter of how much you're willing to suspend your rational thought processes, and disregard how likely it is you personally would come into contact with such situations. Or how much you as an individual are willing to be swept along by a story, or want to remain as an aloof third party observer.

As for what makes you jump, that's largely a matter of how fast, or how slow, your brain processes external stimuli. You may be so quick-witted that your brain has processed and dismissed the threat before your body has had chance to react in its flight or fight response. Or you may be so slow-witted that the threat had come and gone before you've really registered it and so your body never gets to the flight or fight response. If you're somewhere in between you may well jump at startling things, but you haven't really been horrified.

Regards

Mark

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Tejstar said:
Oh my word - one of the scariest films I've seen in a while (despite the plot holes!) :eek:

Not one of that is easily the scariest film I have evr seen period!!

Had me creeped out all night...my old room at my parents used to have the loft door right outside so I'll say no more :eek: :eek:

As for Pulse...I've got the Japanese version & it's not that good...too much like the ring IMO, there are some creepy moments but deffinitley not as scary as the Ju-on series.

If you havent seen it already then I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters...has some very good scares in it & a brilliant story, well worth watching.

Neil

Brother

Right - ordered a tale of two sisters. £7.99 for the double disc at CD WOW.

Thanks for the tip.

With regard to pulse the U.S. trailer looks pretty good - probably one for DVD rather than the cinema.

Quite fancy Silent Hill but feel a kind of sense of inevitable disappointment.

DVD-Man

So many posts and no mention of A Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween!

Liam

Hawklord

Here's a few of my personal favourites not already mentioned (some you may not class as horror but are horrific or unsettling):-

Alien
28 Days later
Dark Water
Devil's Backbone
Day of the beast (not horror but un-missable imo)
Don't Look Now
The Wickerman
Frailty
Shutter
Jacob's Ladder
Ravenous
Suspira
Uzumaki
The Thing.

Brother

Ahh The Thing, 28 Days Later. Personal favourites.

I'm going to this this weekend:

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/frightfest2006fi.html

Click on the dates to see each days movies - going to see The Host on sunday night. Would love to go every day but girlfriend has been fairly clear that it is not happening.

Check out day two - Hammer movies at the cinema. Just ordered the Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles in celebration. Its in the 3 for £15 at HMV right now - with the £5 off vouvher on £30 it worked out at about £4 for that movie.

I may add some werewolf movies: American werewolf, The Howling, Dog Soldiers. Notice that Cursed isn't on that list.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Brother said:
Ahh The Thing, 28 Days Later. Personal favourites.

I'm going to this this weekend:

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/frightfest2006fi.html

Click on the dates to see each days movies - going to see The Host on sunday night. Would love to go every day but girlfriend has been fairly clear that it is not happening.

Check out day two - Hammer movies at the cinema. Just ordered the Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles in celebration. Its in the 3 for £15 at HMV right now - with the £5 off vouvher on £30 it worked out at about £4 for that movie.

I may add some werewolf movies: American werewolf, The Howling, Dog Soldiers. Notice that Cursed isn't on that list.
I had planned to go to this but forgot it was due so early in the year (I expected October time TBH) so have to do the family get together thing instead :(

Hope you have a good time.

As for cursed I guess it depends on which one you mean...The Cristina Ricci one is a good laugh but not what I'd call scary as for the Japanese version...I was S :censored: g bricks in places :eek: :eek:

I think if you want scares you have to look to Japan as they know how to make a truely scary movie IMO but if your just after a bit of blood & guts & some jumpy moments then the US released stuff will do you fine

Tartan have just started a new label called J horror which is releaseing 6 new Japanase horror movies including Three Extremes & Premontion both of which are meant to be very good.

Also look out for the Haunted School trilogy (Whispering Corriders, Wishing Stairs, Memento Mori) these are supposed to be quite good as well.

Neil

joffy1780

Novice Member
The Eye was really creepy I thought.

quarry2006

Completely forgot The Wicker Man. Check out the collector's edition due next month, comprising the theatrical version and a longer cut (I don't know if this restores all the missing footage as I'd been led to believe some of it was lost for good) as well as, and this is the cherry on the cake, the original soundtrack.

"In the woods there grew a tree..." marvellous.

the klang

Mark_a said:
There's something of a difference between what genuinely horrifies you, and what makes you jump. And even considering what's horrific can be separated into what horrifies and disturbs, compared to what would have you cowering in terror. They might be the same thing, but they're just as likely not. If you're not religious, or a believer in the paranormal, it's much more difficult to suspend disbelief when it comes to that type of horror film. Which leaves you with man-made or natural horror, such as psychos or snakes, and the like. Suspension of disbelief with those sorts of films is a matter of how much you're willing to suspend your rational thought processes, and disregard how likely it is you personally would come into contact with such situations. Or how much you as an individual are willing to be swept along by a story, or want to remain as an aloof third party observer.

As for what makes you jump, that's largely a matter of how fast, or how slow, your brain processes external stimuli. You may be so quick-witted that your brain has processed and dismissed the threat before your body has had chance to react in its flight or fight response. Or you may be so slow-witted that the threat had come and gone before you've really registered it and so your body never gets to the flight or fight response. If you're somewhere in between you may well jump at startling things, but you haven't really been horrified.

Regards

Mark[/QUOTE
thats what i thought, more or less.
but i think the term HORROR is a generalisation and covers anything that might upset a young or sensitive person.i for example love gore and jumpy bits but get really uncomfortable with films like THE RING (jap) ect....to much suspence.

Aitch_Kay

Standard Member
Apart from the famous Japanese movies ...... I gotta say, The Descent scared the sleep outta me for a week !!

quarry2006

I dunno, the clang, I think it's just as easy for older people to get distressed with gore and jumpy bits without being deemed "sensitive".

S

sirshambling

The best? "The Maque Of The Red Death" - superb visuals and a storyline to savour. Plus Vince of course.

quarry2006

Ahh, now we're really talking "da classics". Corman's Poe adaptations Fall Of The House Of Usher, Masque Of The Red Death and The Pit And The Pendulum are such vibrant pieces of melodrama. And Vincent Price was born to play characters like Roderick Usher.

I often hear such good things about his role as Dr Phibes but to my shame I've yet to see those films.

Of course, we now touch on classic horror actors and performances. Price was one of the best in the genre (there's good reason why Alice Cooper picked him to play the role of the curator on his seminal Welcome To My Nightmare album and even Michael Jackson was astute enough to repeat the trick with Thriller).

And, even though it bore only passing resemblance to the novel, I'd rate Nicholson in The Shining as one of the best displays of menace and cabin fever lunacy in cinema history.

the klang

quarry2006 said:
I dunno, the clang, I think it's just as easy for older people to get distressed with gore and jumpy bits without being deemed "sensitive".
true, but i mean sensitive to different types of a horror films, not sensitive to horror in general.although some people are .

quarry2006

Yep, I remain healthily sensitive to horror. I'd hate to reach a point where nothing affects me anymore, may as well be dead then.

Most horror is little more than a dumb cast, derivate script and a big budget (New Line made some terrible ones in their time; horror films for the mainstream, what a stupid premise).

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
apart from all the mentioned films on here, classics like elm street series, the thing (JC version), etc, Slient Hill does a pretty good job for a new film.

quarry2006

Do you consider the Elm Street series classic? Personally, I thought it proved the law of diminishing returns that all horror franchises are guilty of.

And Freddy Krueger just never scared me. Maybe in the first one, yeah he was a bit frightening but beyond that the character just degenerated.

All my in opinion of course; ultimately if Elm Street is your bag then that's fine.

Brother

Saw the Korean movie 'the host' at frightfest last night - very good black comedy horror movie.

9.00 p.m. THE HOST.
Move over Godzilla. There’s a new giant monster on the loose in Asia that’s bound to become a classic and it’s Memories of Murder director Bong Joon-Ho’s thrilling mix of Toho-style mayhem and zesty Alien scares done in the politically aware pulp style of Larry Cohen’s Q-The Winged Serpent. Old formaldehyde dumped years before into the Han River causes a humungous tadpole mutation that unfurls under South Korean bridges to attack Seoul natives and carries off young schoolgirl Hyon-seo (Ko Ah-sung). The mystified government claims the sea beast is host to a terrifying unknown virus and fumigates the area. Assumed dead by the biohazard authorities, Hyon-seo’s distraught, if gormless, father Gang-du (Song Kang-ho) is convinced she’s alive, avoiding military capture and surviving lobotomy to enter the cavernous sewers to locate and save his spunky daughter. Meanwhile the citywide panic gives new strength to Gang-du’s frayed family ties, especially failed National Archery Champion Nam-ju (Bae Doo-na). High drama and low camp combine with Jaws-style shocks from the terrific CGI monster (supervised by Kevin Rafferty of Star Wars: Episode 1 * The Phantom Menace fame) in the screaming, chortling, jumping hit of the Cannes 2006 Director’s Fortnight sidebar. Marbled with straight-faced character humour that constantly throws the viewer into giddy touch, and a keen awareness of genre-savvy fright fusion, The Host is a corker of a Korean creature feature that will set the pulse pounding and the heart racing.

Thats what they said. They were pretty much right. Great monster effects and a couple of real jump scenes - I don't think I have jumped that much in years. Its not really a scary horror movie but very good fun.

By the way agree with the posts re the old hammer movies - i was checking out dr phibes rises again just the other night on sky+.