1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best hook-up of DVD32R and AV192R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by hoosterw, Dec 15, 2004.

1. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am the (proud and very lucky) owner of a DVD32R and an AV192R both with PSM and the AV also with the scaler and RGB switch.

What is the best way to hook these two up?
    First look would mabye be DVI to DVI and then DVI on to the PJ (VP12S3 BTW). But I read somewhere that the DVD32R makes DVI from the processed analoge signal. If that is the case also in the AV192R then the signal pass has many DAC-ADC-DAC steps going on and the signal path through analoge might be shorter and thus better?

I am interested in hearing your views/experiences.

If anybody could provide a functional block diagram for both units I would be in heaven. (or send me the schematics and I'll make one!)

2. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember John Mulcahy (I think) saying that the best place for the PSM-ing is in the AV192 so probably the best thing to do is send the DVD image via decent video cables (BNC at each end) into the RGB switcher.
    Incidentally, I don't think there'd be any 'extra' AD/DA as the DVI input would be processed then output digitally.
    I use a scaler taking the DVD32's DVI output and it's great, I'd just feel like it was a waste of the PSM not to use it! Sad, but true!

3. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi!

I have the same config and I run the interlaced YPbPr from the DVD32R to RGB1 of the AV192R (requires a phono to BNC lead). This gives the benefit of full AV OSD on the DVD feed and then uses the PSM to do deinterlacing and VSM to scale it all up. Also minimises the amount of ADC & DAC's in the way!

If you go via DVI then you will loose the OSD support but otherwise all you are doing is using the PSM inside the DVD32R than the one in the AV192R.

If you use the analog progressive outs (the BNC's on a PSM'd DVD32R) then not only will you loose out on the OSD, but you also introduce an extra DAC->ADC into the equation as the scaler will have to redigitise the video signal.

Hope that helps.

4. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That was what I was looking for, a block diagram would have shown that but you seem to know the internals better.

Thanks again.

Rgds Hans.

5. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not full. It will not display the scaler OSD, that will only appear on an interlaced output. So to my opinion there is no OSD capability difference, is there?

Rgds Hans

6. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On my suggested connection scheme the video from the DVD32R to AV192R is interlaced. This means that the OSD support in the AV192R can overlay onto the signal. Remember the video processing units in the AV192R are in this sequence...

Video In->Video Switchers->video format measurement->OSD->PSM->VSM->Video Out

OSD can only be applied to SD interlaced sources.
    PSM can only be used for SD interlaced sources.

If going via DVI into the AV192R then you feed directly into the VSM, hence missing the possibility of having OSD. The DVD32R in itself can provide very basic OSD but it is rather out of date compared to the functaionallity in the AV192R.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Steve's way is the way I do it too, the other added advantage is that you can then use the DVI input for the HTPC :D Best of both worlds really....

8. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I have hooked it up that way (provisional) a new RCA-BNC cable is ordered.

Rgds Hans