Quantcast

Best home made curry kits.

brad123

Used a simply cook pack from Asda to make a gorgeous chicken curry, bit like a korma, so now after a kit thats a stronger curry, maybe masala etc. Anyone use owt?

Maybe a nice lamb curry not too hot.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
This one with lamb :love:
Screenshot_20200309_181820_com.asda.android.jpg

IronGiant

"Not too hot..." :laugh:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Get a proper Indian paste. If you have an Indian wholesaler, pop in there, else check the world food isles in the supermarket.

IronGiant

I quite like the Spice Tailor packs, but only if they are on special offer.

spudtator

If you don't want to start totally from scratch, Patak do some very good curry pastes Patak's Indian curry products and recipes
Slowly fry off some garlic, ginger and onion and add the paste. Cook off for a few minutes. Add a tin (or some fresh) tomatoes and some water.
I usually add some sliced small chillis and fresh coriander. Spoon full of lime pickle also is nice and adds a sharp note.
You'll get 3 or 4 curries from a jar and they store well.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Pataks are nice but I’ve found they all pretty much taste the same.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
+1 from me. I'm not a fan of very hot food - but these are very tasty and simple to make.
Yes I love Spice Tailor too. My friend initially thought they were too expensive but came around when she tasted the quality. A cut above any jar and usually better than when I manually put the spices together myself.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Make your own paste. Dead easy. And will beat anything out of a jar / packet.

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Buy a copy of the curry secret or I think it’s available as a free pdf on line somewhere, dead easy and once tried you will never look back!

nabby

Distinguished Member
I've recently tried the Tastesmiths ones and found them to be a cut above anything else. I've run the whole gauntlet - make my own from scratch, paste jars, sauce jars, sauce jars with dried spices, sauce pouches, own brands, Pataks, Spice Tailor, etc.

They're available online at tastesmiths.com

The trick I found helpful is to use frozen diced onions (much quicker and no chopping so no tears) and let them cook for at least 20 minutes (10 mins lid on, 10 mins lid off), no matter what the recipe says. Unless the onions have caramelised properly, you don't get the full depth of flavour. Use a neutral oil (groundnut or sunflower) or ghee.

8andythebrave

Standard Member
Buy a copy of the curry secret or I think it’s available as a free pdf on line somewhere, dead easy and once tried you will never look back!
Seconded

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Home made here.

helps that my parents are from India.:D

mtenga

Distinguished Member
There is a level of convenience to the kits. Results good as well.

Wersi

Standard Member
I've tried for years to replicate a Chinese Curry Sauce and the nearest I got was with Maysan Curry Paste.
They do Original... Mild ... Hot etc.

I normally buy a tin of supermarket beef/chicken curry then band some Maysan paste in the mix and it's not bad.

Always amazed me how Chinese Takeaways wherever you are tastes very similar.

lowmans100

No endorsement of the site but these Laziza and Shan boxes are good. I get them from an Asian supermarkets. I think I have seen a small selection of these is the bigger supermarkets as well.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I've tried for years to replicate a Chinese Curry Sauce and the nearest I got was with Maysan Curry Paste.
They do Original... Mild ... Hot etc.

I normally buy a tin of supermarket beef/chicken curry then band some Maysan paste in the mix and it's not bad.

Always amazed me how Chinese Takeaways wherever you are tastes very similar.
This will do a chippy Chinese curry.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Mine are too, but sometimes I crave a more British curry experience, or something that my folks wouldn't cook (e.g. south Indian food or Thai curries, or fish).
Fair enough.

to be honest, I make stuff my parents never have but by watching them I gained a grounding in the basics.

the biggest difference is they are veggie, I am not.

all good.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
There is a level of convenience to the kits. Results good as well.
Agreed.

I don’t cook Indian often after years and years of it.

maybe one every two weeks. So I plan.

nabby

Distinguished Member
Fair enough.

to be honest, I make stuff my parents never have but by watching them I gained a grounding in the basics.

the biggest difference is they are veggie, I am not.

all good.
Mine are virtually veggie now but weren't when I was growing up. Which part of India are yours from? Mine are punjabi but both grew up in Bombay/Mumbai.