Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards & Comments

I am sometimes confused by these awards, take for example the subwoofers the BK P12-300 SBN-PR, needs an award just for that name, and the REL HT/1205. Both look very similar but both win a category only because the REL tops the £500 mark. Again in the REL review it is mentioned as a alternative to the BK but is pricey, so how does that work when it gets 10/10 in value for money, as does the BK, lost how this works.
Do agree entirely with the sub £500 soundbar still love my under £200 Polk.
I will not even start on why do the AV receivers kick off in the £1k plus ball park.

Last edited:
I am sometimes confused by these awards, take for example the subwoofers the BK P12-300 SBN-PR, needs an award just for that name, and the REL HT/1205. Both look every similar but both win a category only because the REL tops the £500 mark. Again in the REL review it is mention as a alternative to the BK but is pricey, so how does that work when it gets 10/10 in value for money, as does the BK, lost how this works.
Do agree entirely with the sub £500 soundbar still love my under £200 Polk.
I will not even start on why do the AV receivers kick off in the £1k plus ball park.
I was a little confused by this as well. The REL doesn't "seem" to be much better (if at all) in terms of actual sonic performance than the BK, but costs more.

I was expecting the beam to feature in the soundbar category

Style over substance im afraid with sonos
I think it’s more than that. It’s not cinema but it’s decent sound with good smart features and for the average person a good product. It’s also scooped up plenty of other awards this year

I think it’s more than that. It’s not cinema but it’s decent sound with good smart features and for the average person a good product. It’s also scooped up plenty of other awards this year
Havnt heard it, but had the sonos playbar before with 2 play 1's as rears, and was underwhelmed, for that kind of money you can get better sound.

Havnt heard it, but had the sonos playbar before with 2 play 1's as rears, and was underwhelmed, for that kind of money you can get better sound.
Of course you can... but you are paying for convenience and usability. Remember these products almost all soundbars are for the average consumer not the enthusiast

Of course you can... but you are paying for convenience and usability. Remember these products almost all soundbars are for the average consumer not the enthusiast
Not an average consumer when spending well over a £1000 if buying the soundbar, sub and rears surely, I'd agree on anything below £500 that it's for the average consumer

Not an average consumer when spending well over a £1000 if buying the soundbar, sub and rears surely, I'd agree on anything below £500 that it's for the average consumer
As mentioned the beam is under £400

As mentioned the beam is under £400
I know, it can be picked up for around £350 at the minute, i still think you can get better sound for the same price, i understand if you're already invested in the sonos ethos, then the playbase makes sense.

Nice selection of products there- can never go wrong with a good Denon Receiver the things are really great.

Good to see BK take the sub-£500 subwoofer award - for my money it's a no-brainer as their products are quite possibly the biggest bargain in hi-fi history.
For me REL are overpriced, and BK used to make their parts anyway so basically they're a BK with a fancy cabinet.
Oh, and a much higher price tag.
As for the best AVR over a grand, then the Denon is a fair shout although strictly speaking the Arcam 850 is in another league.
Although I guess at the price it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

The Polk sound bar is virtually hard to buy at the price Richersounds had it for and they dont sell it anymore

I think it actually appeared on RS at £169 or £179 not sure which but either must be bargain of the year.

I may have totally missed it, but the Monitor Audio does not include any Atmos speakers - is that correct, & if so, what other speakers might match well with this package?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom