Best hi-fi speakers for electronic/bass music £1k-£2k?

Tallness

Novice Member
Hi there,

I’m considering some new hi-fi speakers for listening to / DJ-ing (primarily) drum & bass and house music.

I have a budget of up to about £2k for the pair. I’d be prepared to spend a more if, say, £3k is going to make a massive difference in quality.

I’ll also need an amp. This could get pricey, I guess.

I’ve heard good things about KEFs and Dalis previously but I’m totally open to suggestions. Floor standers or whatever.

I currently use a little pair of Mackie HR 624s for mixing. They’re punchy for the price, with good bass but they’re studio monitors and I’m keen to get something that interprets the music a bit more this time around.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Your £2K budget would get you a pair of KEF R5s. Won't go the deepest but given the right amp the bass is fast and tight with terrific mids and highs. Upping the budget would get you the bigger R7s with a possible bass response of 27Hz. KEFs perform best when given a really good power supply as they will dip to 3.2 ohms.

Dali tend to be more forward than the KEFs and personally I don't hanker after them.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
These PMC OB1 with their transmission line bass may do the job but will also give you the clear mids you are used to from mixing.

Here's a couple of amps to look at -

Rega Elicit R

Arcam SR250

Musical Fidelity M6i

Hegel H200

But if you want to run the speakers of your mixer then you just need a power amp, Cambridge 851W is worth a look or the Nord NC500 amps can be tailored somewhat by changing the opamps to the sound you want from bighter to more relaxed.

Last edited:

Orobas

Klipsch R610-F and higher are always good speakers for dance / electronice / dj style music.. they are benign loads to drive.. very airy and will rock you to an ASBO for sure :)

Word of caution though .. as they have that huge horn loaded treble.. they are bright! so avoid bright electronics like the plague :smashin:

John Simon

for your style of music Event Opals are perfect, but, they're active so you wouldn't need an amp. Sadly they are not available so second hand is the only route.

Matt 0987654321

Standard Member
Hi there,

I’m considering some new hi-fi speakers for listening to / DJ-ing (primarily) drum & bass and house music.

I have a budget of up to about £2k for the pair. I’d be prepared to spend a more if, say, £3k is going to make a massive difference in quality.

I’ll also need an amp. This could get pricey, I guess.

I’ve heard good things about KEFs and Dalis previously but I’m totally open to suggestions. Floor standers or whatever.

I currently use a little pair of Mackie HR 624s for mixing. They’re punchy for the price, with good bass but they’re studio monitors and I’m keen to get something that interprets the music a bit more this time around.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
LS 50 II another active option,other actives Elac Navis ARB5 or if your budget stretches Buchardt A500 for lower bass response.

hunt808

Adding a musical sub to a pair of stand mounts may be a better option in terms of performance and cost, if you really need the bass to be impactful and reach down low.

1. A pair of Kef LS50 (original or new model)
2. Two small subs, such as the BK XLS200 or Gemini (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/)
3. A MiniDSP 2x4 HD to manage the integration of the various elements and calm down any room modes (miniDSP 2x4 HD)

That should be do-able within your £2000 speaker budget.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Adding a musical sub to a pair of stand mounts may be a better option in terms of performance and cost, if you really need the bass to be impactful and reach down low.

1. A pair of Kef LS50 (original or new model)
2. Two small subs, such as the BK XLS200 or Gemini (http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/)
3. A MiniDSP 2x4 HD to manage the integration of the various elements and calm down any room modes (miniDSP 2x4 HD)

That should be do-able within your £2000 speaker budget.
Or just go the whole hog and get two Double Gems and use them as stands for the LS50’s!

Craso

Standard Member
I am literally listening to house music while I am writing. I am extremely satisfied by my Audio Physic Classic 20 floorstand speakers. It is really as they say "No loss of fine detail".

dogfonos

I currently use a little pair of Mackie HR 624s for mixing. They’re punchy for the price, with good bass but they’re studio monitors and I’m keen to get something that interprets the music a bit more this time around
???

The inference in your post, if I'm not mistaken, is that you intend to purchase passive 'hifi' speakers? I think that would be heading off in the wrong direction. You need solid bass for house and D&B yet you're thinking of passives? Active bass = better bass. Although most actives are marketed as studio speakers, more of us hifi enthusiasts use them in place of traditional hifi passives.

You could buy new main active speakers (as has been said, Event Opals are renowned for their solid, extended bass) or employ an active sub. It somewhat depends on your listening room size. Maybe something like:

The benefit of sealed box bass, like the KH310A, is that bass will be more accurate due to lack of time smearing (i.e. no delayed bass exiting a port).

The Acoustic Energy AE22 were considered great speakers with excellent bass for a modest price but only available pre-owned now:

(Even What Hifi don't often use the word "breathtaking").

Just to add that those of us who have used both passive and active speakers over the years usually consider actives to offer better sound per pound.

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Can I ask what electronics you are using at the moment, I'm guessing you have Decks with you mentioning DJ-ing, but what else will you be using and keeping in the system?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Keep current speakers and plonk 2k into a sub(or two)..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom