Best height for rear surround speakers?

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Cinema/Media?Studio room is being built right this very minute. Pretty soon I'm going to be feeding the cable through for the rear surround speakers. The cinema area of the room will be around 15ft long x 10ft wide. What is the best height and distance apart for positioning for listening from a 3-seater sofa? My current room has the rears at around 6.5ft from the floor and around 13ft apart, which I think is too high and too wide, as I have to turn the rear channels up quite loud to hear them. As the cabling was done at the time this room was built, I have never had the opportunity to change them.

Also, I'm considering in-ceiling speakers for Atmos duties. How close to the listening position should they be. What is the best budget make and model? Is it important to use full range speakers if using a sub?

If you have a diagram of room layout, that would help everyone help you get the right position for your rear speakers

The speakers you already own, are the bi/di/ti-pole as these are usually a little higher to disperse the sound

With Atmos, you really need to focus where the speakers are going to installed based on the MLP and as you can see, below is a moc-up of where you could place any Atmos speakers based on a .4 system. Dolby do indicate that all the speakers should be angled as illustrated in their image I've also included

room-atmos-options-4.jpg

5-1-4-dolby-offical.jpg

With Atmos, it is recommended that the surround speakers should be placed around ear height (when seated), which is lower than recommended for earlier surround systems such as 5.1/7.1. This is to give a larger separation between surrounds and ceiling Atmos speakers, otherwise they tend to lose the effectiveness.

OK, I was never any good at "technical drawing" as it was called when I was at school. So a diagram like any of those is beyond my scope if expertise.

Also, my wife says the viewing area is going to be LxWxH 16ft x 13ft x 8ft

Have you got a copy of whatever drawings your builder is working with?

Ideally provide a copy of the drawing with your seating layout and screen position marked on it, you can print and mark it up with pen/pencil then take a pic/scan, no ‘Techy Drawing’ skills required :)

Joe

Have you got a copy of whatever drawings your builder is working with?

Ideally provide a copy of the drawing with your seating layout and screen position marked on it, you can print and mark it up with pen/pencil then take a pic/scan, no ‘Techy Drawing’ skills required :)

Joe
I'll ask him for the drawings and take a few pictures.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom