Best Height for Mounting a Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by 7tennyson, Jul 18, 2005.

1. 7tennyson

7tennyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to wall-mount my Pioneer 435xde. Has anyone found an optimum height to mount plasma screen or is in based on the room.

In addition, has anyone mounted their screen above a radiator. I understand the problem with heat but has anyone come up with a solution??

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    eye level is best dont be tempted to stick it high up your neck will regret it, also truning radiator off helps as the panel is cooled by air warm air wont cool it very well and may cause longterm issues if RAD is very hot but remeber these things work in countires with higher ambient temps than the UK so as long as you are sensible it shouldnt be a major issue

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have cold winters here, and if the heating is turned up high it will be VERY hot immediately above the radiator, so I would say it was a definite no-no to hang your plasma above the radiator unless you have some way of diverting the heat away from it. I believe it would seriously affect performance.

The best position is where the centre of the screen is at eye level when you are in your normal seating position. Many people have put their screens high above fireplaces etc. which is not ideal but often this is the only space they have for it.

Mat

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    How do you sit?

I have the screen at the height my head is looking whilst sitting in my regualr position, if I had it at regular TV height my neck would be bent forward all the time.

5. 7tennyson

7tennyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my sofa about 10ft away from the wall where the TV is going to be fitted. I would say that my eye position would be about 4ft from the ground when sat down........that does seem a little low though.

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It always seems low at first but trust me, it will hurt otherwise. Mine is 4ft to centre of screen.

7. 7tennyson

7tennyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess another issue will then be the height of the centre speaker beneath the TV. I think I am going to remove the radiator beneath the proposed positiojn altogether. The missus will just have to wear a couple of extra layers in the winter.

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,854
    We have never had a problem with our plasma mounted at mantlepiece height.
    Much less in your face, and much more out of the way of sticky fingers :thumbsup:

Dave

EDIT:

Interesting, that's 43" to centre of screen :)

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Like Liam ours is just over 4ft to centre, however the centre speaker is hidded behind a radiator cover and the gap between speaker and screen is too great, so I am going to drop the screen a few inches.

[​IMG]

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,854
    Have you stood next to your plasma in this hot weather? It is a radiator :rotfl:

Dave