Question Best headset for movies

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by RayArt, Jul 28, 2018.

1. RayArt

RayArt
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Until recently I have been watching my Blu-ray movies with a projector onto an 11ft wall. Unfortunately this is no longer possible. So, I'm thinking an alternative maybe a video headset. But which one? Can anyone please advise which is best for watching Blu-ray movies and 3D? Bearing in mind that I will not be gaming or using VR. I just need a headset to simulate watching a large screen with good quality. Can anyone please suggest a solution? Many thanks

2. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +199
      The Avegant Glyph may be worth a look. It's specifically designed as a display replacement, rather than a VR device, which gives it a number of advantages. I have no personal experience, but a friend who is a tech journo (and who has tried most of the current crop of VR headsets) reckons the Glyph is superior if all you want is a head mounted display.

3. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      Well it all depends on how much money you want to spend. The Rift's displays and optics are sharper and clearer than the Vive's and it's $100 cheaper. And you get a ridiculous amount of free games and software with it.

Forget about the Vive Pro because it's WAY too expensive, NOBODY should be buying this device out of fudgeing principle tbh.

The Oculus Go would be a good idea, it's as cheap as chips and the display and optics are top class.

What I would do personally is wait until the end of September to see what Oculus are bringing to the table with the Santa Cruz and the CV2 next year.

I'm 90% certain that the CV2 will be released in the first half of next year and will have 4K displays per eye, eye tracking and foveated rendering.

And you SAY that you won't be using it for gaming but once you experience gaming in VR it's VERY difficult to stop. It's literally a game changer.

4. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
      why not get a holder for your mobile and see if that works for you before shelling out for a headset.
      I cant recommend the Oculus go for watching movies, the battery life is crap, even if you go through the hassle of re-encoding movies down to 720p 60.

5. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      This is why people use USB battery packs.

Personally I think he'd be better off waiting until September to see what Oculus reveal at OC5 myself.

I'm expecting a 4K CV2 next year, will certainly be worth waiting for 4K goodness. Wouldn't surprise me if they sell two SKUs as well, a standalone headset for those that already have Touch controllers and sensors for $500-600 and a bundle for $100 more.

We might see it being around $100 more expensive depending on who's displays they use but my money would be on the price I've suggested because there's a VERY good chance that Oculus will be using the BOE flexible 4K fast-switch LCDs that they showed at an event recently.

6. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
      Only reason for suggesting the phone holder option is because it’s cheap as chips. I know you can get power banks for the go, I have one. It’s a shame they skimped on the battery. Having to charge two items fast becomes a massive drag. I used it three times on a trip. And had to charge the headset and pack three times!

7. pRot3us

pRot3us
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,899
      You'd be better off using a large TV if projection is no longer an option. While you may partly be able to simulate the scale of a large projection screen, you're going to be taking a massive hit in image resolution by going VR.

8. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +199
      While that's certainly true of a VR headset, as I understand it the Glyph delivers full resolution 1080p video, which is why I think it's worth a look. However, I totally agree that a TV is going to be the simplest solution if the OP can accommodate one.

Edit: Scratch that - looks like the Glyph is only 720p.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    9. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      The Rift CV2 would be his best bet, although he'll need to wait a bit for it. The next best bet would be an Oculus Go imo, even though it's going to have less resolution (unless of course Oculus Go as insane as HTC did with the Vive Pro and release a 1.5K headset, but I can't see that happening given what we've seen from BOE recently and what we've seen of the Half Dome prototype).

I mean it all comes down to how much money he wants to spend tbh. 200 quid is great value for money for the Oculus Go and some people might be happy to spend those 200 notes for a year's use of a product until the CV2 is released next year.

The Samsung Odyssey and Vive Pro are also viable options but I honestly couldn't recommend the latter to anyone, what HTC have done with the Vive Pro is fudgeing disgraceful imo. Some people have also criticised the Samsung Odyssey for being uncomfortable, I think it depends on the shape of your head.

It should also be worth noting that the Oculus Go doesn't have an adjustable IPD setting, the IPD is 64cm and you can't change it.

And then we have the Santa Cruz too.

Out of all the options if the OP has an average or close to average IPD (64cm) then I'd advise him to go for an Oculus Go and then use that until the CV2 is released next year. I'm sure a retailer somewhere will be happy to give him a demo in-store.

10. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      There is no CV2 or even a hint of a CV2 arriving anytime soon. You're going to be waiting for a very long time.

11. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      There is simply nothing (at the moment ) that matches watching movies on TV or Projector. Maybe it's me but I can't see myself getting used to watching movies in an enclosure no matter how great now or in the future VR becomes. Just too claustrophobic, I need to have some level of awareness of my surroundings.

Maybe OP can get the Go from amazon, Use for a couple of movies back to back and keep or return depending on how he feels

12. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      It'll be here next year, probably during the first half of next year. We'll probably be seeing it revealed at OC5 at the end of September.

Too many things are lining up for it not to happen - the Half Dome advanced prototype, BOE's flexible 4K displays and a recently filed patent for flexible displays in a VR headset.

They know that they can't have as much as a 4 year lifespan for the current Rift because next year we'll see more competition for the Rift with higher resolution headsets. We'll see the CV1 coming down to $299 before the end of the year and when the CV2 is released we'll see the CV1 dropping down for the last time to $249 as an entry level VR headset for a year after the CV2 is out.

There's no way in hell that Oculus will wait until 2020 to release the CV2, that's ALMOST as bad a business decision as HTC releasing the Vive Pro this year.

13. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      Facebook are more focused on mobile VR, that's their bread and butter. Santa Cruz will release next year. The CV2...who knows, probably never unless the FB board can figure out a way to leverage a significant profit out of it.

Repeatedly claiming that the CV2 will launch next year as some sort of fact with no official announcement to back up your statement is just blatantly misleading. At least HTC actually released a hardware update. And Valve have actively distributed new prototype controller hardware to devs.

14. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      Facebook are focused on mobile/standalone VR as well as high-end PC VR. They've stated this multiple times. The Oculus Go, the Santa Cruz (which I believe will be released late this year) and CV1/CV2 are aimed at three completely different demographics (although I personally think that releasing the Santa Cruz is going to be a mistake as far as consumers are concerned, but it's going to be a huge hit for training purposes).

Why on earth would Facebook show such an advanced prototype at F8 this year if they're not going to release the CV2 next year?

And why would they stick with an outdated 1K headset until 2020 when the world and his wife will be releasing 1.5K to 2K headsets next year? That makes absolutely no sense at all, even if they get the price down to $249 next year.

Oculus-Facebook have had these plans in place for YEARS, this is why they said the Rift would have a lifespan between that of a mobile phone (two years) and a console (five years). Three years is the perfect lifespan for a VR headset, technology is moving VERY fast and to have a 4 year lifespan is too long.

And yes, HTC have released an update, but it has several problems:

1) It only matches the resolution of the highest res headset, not beating it.

2) It has the same crappy lenses as the old Vive, so bad that people are modding them ***.

3) It has the same FOV as the Vive.

4) It's WAY too expensive.

It's looking like Vive are going for a 2 year lifespan for their headsets so we won't see the Vive 2 until 2020...but if they DO decide to release the Vive 2 next year who would buy a headset from a company that has released 3 headsets in 3 years? The way they're going (assuming that they release the Vive 2 next year) the Vive 2 will be superseded a year later lol

Oculus-Facebook are quite capable of releasing the Oculus Go and Santa Cruz this year and the CV2 next year. You're not the only person who has doubts that this is going to happen, Facebook are loaded, have the best in the business working on their R&D and are quite capable of working on multiple projects at the same time.

15. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
      But the Vive pro is a nice shade of blue and super comfy to wear for extended periods. the lens thing is a bit of a shame. It is defiantly a well built product, sturdy.

16. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      I'm not saying the Vive Pro is a BAD headset per se, but it was a TERRIBLE business decision from HTC. If they were going to release the Vive Pro at that price then it needs to be better than it is.

If they had dropped the price of the Vive to $400 to match the Rift and then released the Vive Pro bundle for $800 it would have been a MUCH better decision, but the price they're selling it for is pretty disgraceful tbh.

They're basically repeating the mistakes that their mobile division has been making for YEARS - releasing good quality technology for too much money.

17. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
      Maybe the penny will drop at long last. We can only hope.

18. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      If Oculus had a CV2 waiting in the wings, they would have shown a prototype by now and sent it to devs. Instead they've shown Santa Cruz, and the Half Dome tech demo which they quickly had to put out a statement saying it wasn't tech that was going into a CV2 anytime soon when fanboys got too overexcited.

19. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      There's really no need to get CV2 dev kits to developers. Developers can use the CV1. The only difference is going to be resolution and FOV.

And they said not ALL of the features will be going into the CV2 anytime soon. I believe that the CV2 will have eye tracking, dynamic foveated rendering but won't have the varifocal feature because the eye tracking needs to come up a notch to make that possible.

And the CV2 won't be waiting in the wings, I'm expecting it to release during the first half of next year, so maybe 8 or 9 months away from OC5.

20. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      I'd be very surprised if OC5 doesn't primarily focus on the release of Santa Cruz with no new PC hardware announced. Facebook really aren't that concerned with PC gaming - it's a minor blip on their balance sheet that doesn't guarantee recurring revenue.

21. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      People said the exact same thing about F8 this year but Facebook decided to showcase that advanced prototype. It's pretty obvious that's a CV2 prototype, we're not as far away from seeing the release of the CV2 as you might think.

Of course a great deal of OC5 is going to involve the Santa Cruz, because it's the next headset they're going to release, but there'll be CV2 news too.

I personally predicted H1 next year but if we don't see it releasing then it'll certainly be releasing during H2 next year.

They certainly won't wait until 2020.

22. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      It's not a prototype but a proof of concept they decided to show to generate media attention. There's no way that sort of mechanical varifocal display will be suitable or reliable for consumer use anytime soon. But keep dreaming...

Large companies have large budgets (maybe less so at FB these days) to pursue research avenues, and most never get turned into consumer products. Mostly they just patent the stuff for future royalties.

23. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +908
      couldnt watch a movie on the rift, the resolution is dogsh#t.

maybe the pimax 4k though?

24. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,175
      The AVforums review for the Royole Moon was very interesting (as well as the discussions). Worth a read:

Royole Moon AV Headset Review

Seems pricey though.

25. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      The first version would have been a proof of concept device, the second and third versions were prototypes. And I've already said that the varifocal display is what Facebook were referring to when they said don't expect all of these features anytime soon.

The 140 degree FOV, 4K displays, eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering, however, are highly likely to be seen in the CV2 next year, imo.

As I've said, Oculus-Facebook waiting until 2020 to release the CV2 is ALMOST as bad a business decision as HTC releasing the Vive Pro this year, and I just can't see that happening. Oculus-Facebook have MUCH better decision makers than HTC.

26. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +738
      We'll have to wait and see what's announced. Hopefully they will announce something concrete and not just show off the usual tech demo fluff in an attempt to keep their half of the VR community onside. The trend for FB over the past year has been to wind down the PC VR side and scale up the mobile VR side, so I'm not holding my breath.

27. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      The thing is that they haven't wound down anything. They're working on both at the same time. They've made this clear with statements for a while now. Contrary to popular opinion Oculus aren't abandoning or winding down their PC VR division in any way at all. They're working on BOTH divisions AT THE SAME TIME.

The Half Dome advanced prototype is proof of this.

28. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95