1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best headphones for HD3 ??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by flamejob, Apr 23, 2005.

1. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RIGHTYO FELLAS, im ditchin the pityfull headphones that came with the unit and am lookin for a decent set to bring up the sound of the HD3.

im talkin about inear headphones too to use out and about .

i already got a pair of seheiser hd202 but they are far too big cumbersome to leave with the house with obviously!

any suggestions will be most gratefully recieved.. im obviuosly thinkin about the fontopias but has anyone got any better suggestions.

the volume on the HD3 seriously needs a boost even though iv already removed the EU soundcap!

thanks for your help! :smashin:

2. mark rosser

mark rosser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I use Shure E2C's with my HD3 (soundcap removed!) and i find the volume is loud enough between half and three qaurters max.

I think the Shure's are very detailed, and give good bass too! :thumbsup:

3. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i can find a pair of inears that are of the same sound quality as my cheapo senheisers (they only cost me £20) then im well happy with my HD3.... da funk by daft punk exit music for a film by radiohead sound GLORIOUS when the HD3 is comin through my senheisers cans!

gotta have the volume at 90% though.. its tough being an audiophile.. im used to my music blowin my brains out from a cambridge audio special edition cd player comin through a musical fidelity E10 amplifier!! :clap:

and dont get me started about my mission floorstanders filled with lead shot.. ill be here allday and bore the pants off everyone hahahahaha :D

oh yeah;

whats black and sits at the top of the stairs??

stephen hawking in a housefire!

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Panasonic RPHJE50 / Sharp MD33 / Shure E2c / Sennheiser MX500 or 550 /
    Sony EX71 / Sony EX81

All these are canal phones that isolate outside volume. 'Cept senns, but they are GOOD but cheap. Try canal phones or get speakers :D

Have u a budget? P.S with my Sony EX71's the right channel blew out after 6 months use. This is a KNOWN problem with them. Also wire is a bit flimsy.

Some people might suggest headphones with impedance of 32 ohms above due 2 "hiss" problem with quiet moments of songs with HD3. Some people have this, others don't. For me some songs have them. Weirdly one song on an album will have hiss but rest of album is OK :rolleyes: Although being honest, out of 50 albums, only about 5-8 songs have a hiss during queit periods of songs. So not 2 much of a bother.

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any chance of a couple more reccomendations of headphones, im looking for somthing different to this guy but want some high quality 'phones too.

what im looking for:

-in ear headphones
    -NOT canal ones (i have a pair of sony EX71's and the shape really irritates my ear)
    -reasonably cheap £20-30
    -ones with asymetric cord that you can wrap around the back of your neck
    -preferably ones that wont break withing about 2 days like the EX71's seem to

any advice on this?

thanks for any replies.

6. mousebong

mousebong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel your pain, went through the same tough decision ;)

In the end I've ended up with the Sennheiser MX500s, this is after reading LOADs of comments and consulting the all-mighty What Hi-Fi. Have to say I'm 3 months in and am very happy with them. Sounds wierd, but I swear they're getting better the more I use them...

7. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crikey, shure E2c's are over 50 quid a pair!!!

i want serious performance for that... are the shure's twice as good as the sennheiser mx550s which i can get for £20??

decisions, decisions....

8. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

what did 'what h-fi' say about them??

i can pick the mx500s for a tenner...... do tell!

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Forget about what hi-fi! Just type MX500 review in google and I challenge you to find one bad review. Most websites agree for price, they have great range and balance

As for Shure E2cs are £50 because they have great sound, range and still does that when it isolates you from outside world. Try Ebay for cheaper price.

10. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on ebay the cheapest E2c's are 32 quid a pair but charge a tenner shippin from the states..... im more inclined to buy the E3c for £70 includin p&p , only a 28 pounds difference!

iv seen the sennheiser mx500 for a tenner on ebay and i think on amazon!!

i think i might buy all types !! :D

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    I think u should spend however much you can afford. Spending £200 on a player, u deserve decent sound. Take this for an analogy. I spent £100 on specs. Mates ask why. I say £30 specs would have done but also about style.

Likewise, the 'phones that came in the box suffice. But without the quality. :)

12. flamejob

flamejob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree entirely.. although im wonderin if these mp3/atrac players are worth the investment of a decent set of phones.. i swear to god HD3 and ipods have the audio dynamics of a flatulant ant.. im seriously frustrated with the sound levels.

i think an ear syringin is in order too,lol.. ill do anythin to bring up the noise level on this lttle f*cker!

iv been spoilt by listenin to sennheiser 202 cans comin through a musical fidelity E10 amp at max vol all these years... my HD3 dont even register *sob*

E3c it is then....

13. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    U guys tried the Bang & Olufsen ? Funky design but do they perform ?

Rgds Steve

14. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I use the Shure E3c's with my mini ipod, and they are bloody awesome - brand new off of eBay for £69.99

Quality costs ...... but its worth it the long run.

15. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233

Just to add, since using the Shures, I've had to lower the volume on the ipod, by about a third. They can take the full brunt of the ipods volume - however, I on the other hand cannot!!!

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'm not surprised with the iPod... it's got a seriously powerful headphone amp when uncapped. The Sony on the other hand is (even if uncapped) relatively speaking a gnat squeak. But the Shures are very efficient. The E3c will be more efficient than the E2c, but the E2c is perfectly usable on the HD3.

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Expensive. Might as well go for established brands in biz; Shure, Etymotic, Sennheiser etc.

Actually why don't u people go to:
    http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Head hi fi is an excellent forum website, one I'm also a member of. They are informative and knowledgeble. Be aware members are quick 2 recommend the best method to blow all ur cash on (good) 'phones :D