Question Best HDMI Switch Splitter?

Mr-Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per title but has to be reasonably priced HDMI switch/splitter for my current TV LX508D. TV has 3 HDMI in.

Clearly don't want to lose any quality or sound by any cheapo brands, but needs to be capable to run all my devices which are Sky HD (2TB), PS4, PS3, Apple TV (3rd Gen), and maybe soon to be Virgin TiVo box and Xbox One. I can live with 3-Port switch - I think it will suffice my needs.

I have seen a few on Amazon and seem to be reasonably priced (£10-£25) with some good reviews.

Any recommendations?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
All HDMI swithces and splitter should have their own power supply and not rely on the 5V HDMI line. This 5v line was never intended to be used to power other devices.

With HDMI you wont lose Video or Audio quality as such as they will either work or they wont.

These are the ones we use on our installation (and sell seperately) 5% discount for AVforum members use code AVF5

Seb

Long story but had a complex long run set up. Tried all sorts and manufacturers ranging to very very expensive (over £200) The only one that worked was Duronics at a fraction of the price. So another +1 for them.

I have Duronic splitters for the opposite of what you are doing, 1 sky box to 2 TV's up to 25 metres away; and it works faultlessly. What I have noticed is that powered Switches and Splitters is a must for Sky hdcp handshake
Duronic 5 Port HDMI Auto Switch Box plus Remote - 5x1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks for the link. Found a 3-Port for slightly cheaper and it's available for Amazon Prime. Same company but is this any good in particular to Sky's HDCP compatibility?

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

All HDMI swithces and splitter should have their own power supply and not rely on the 5V HDMI line. This 5v line was never intended to be used to power other devices.

With HDMI you wont lose Video or Audio quality as such as they will either work or they wont.

These are the ones we use on our installation (and sell seperately) 5% discount for AVforum members use code AVF5

Seb

Are you referring to this?

3-Port HDMI Switch

Long story but had a complex long run set up. Tried all sorts and manufacturers ranging to very very expensive (over £200) The only one that worked was Duronics at a fraction of the price. So another +1 for them.

Have you tried AClassTechnology HDMI switches? How was it for you? 3-Port HDMI Switch

Also which Duronics did you go for?

A battery seems unlikely but the other one is at least powered.

Niall be careful with advice that's not based on fact as can be misleading

yes that looks fine , made my CMI in china . we used to use them so should be ok.

Though with HDMI the only real test is using it with your kit

^^^^ Warning! I'm searching for the same thing you are. A good quality but affordable HDMI switcher. Looking through Amazon has only made the process more confusing because there are more no-name brands than recognized brands. I believe that recognized brands have more incentive to produce quality materials to protect their brand, while no-name's will take any cheap knock-off for the single sale profits.

With that said that same company that "makes" the device you linked to (@Mr-Lex) are also selling the same cheap knock off that dozens of other companies are offering on Amazon. Check this out... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1JC764?psc=1 I was about to purchase until I saw a review on another "brand" of this same exact product stating that while it "supports" 1080p it can only "output" at 720p and saying that it is stated in the manual or something like that. Well even if I didn't believe that claim the simple fact that the exact same product carries dozens of different "brand" names makes me skittish of their manufacturing quality.

It unfortunately appears that Duronics does the same branding game. I think in this topic I may need to actually shop at a local store or at least an online retailer that is more interested in brand reliability. Good luck to both of us. I just bought a Plasma TV with 1 HDMI port so I definitely need one. :-/

Does anybody have reputable name brands that manufacture quality products instead of generic Chinese?

Oh, and affordable too, not looking for top-of-the-line videophile level products yet. (one step at a time)

We now use Aten for our mid level Switches

HDMI Switches
KVM Switch Solutions Provider, ATEN Switches+

My friend...if I was in the UK I would definitely support you and your company. You are very helpful throughout the threads on this site. That's the kind of product I was talking about, a reputable name brand. Thnx!

I did find one company (for US customers) that seems like they may be legit, albeit still on the mid-lower level spectrum. I may give them a shot (unless you specifically recommend against them) since this is a temporary solution until I get a full receiver and audio setup in the room. Kinivo

I dont know them specifically but the products again look like CMI products

Sev

Ok guys,

After fair amount of research and discussion, I found something that does the job. As mentioned above, I got this delivered and works as it should do - Brilliant!

Etekcity ® 4K x 2K Premium 4 Port Auto HDMI Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have tested on all my sources - so had to play around with a lot of HDMI cables. Does it extremely well without any major flaws.

I did notice that the Apple TV remote has some interference with the device - for some reason if you use the Apple remote while the HDMI switch is 'ON' by pressing and this applies to ONLY TOP/UP navigation button it opens the PIP view. It can be annoying if you're navigating a lot of Apple TV contents while using the Apple remote.

However, the PIP is absolutely brilliant and allows many options for users if they wanted to quick view/download anything while watching another source.

Last edited:
HI AND THANKS IN ADVANCE, IM A NEWBIE, I HAVE JUST BOUGHT LG49UF640V, IT HAS TWO HDMI PORTS, MY STEPSON WANTS TO HSE PORT TWO FOR A WII U, BUT I NEED IT TOO, HOW CAN I GET ROUND THIS, US A SPLITTER THE ANSWER. THANKS

It would be a switch you need not a splitter

Switch - Many in - 1 out
Splitter - Many Out - 1 In

Make sure the one you get has its own power supply

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom