Best HDMI player for use with 42WLT66??

bigshout

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been reading loads of threads recently about the sub £150 units from Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic etc. They all seem to have the pros and cons and after hours of reading I'm still not in any better position to picking a player.

So those of you out there who have a Toshiba LCD 42WLT66 and have recently bought one of these players can you give me recommendation from your knowledge from reading these reviews and first hand experience which is the best. I'll be looking at using HDMI connection and looking at getting the best out of the displays 1080i picture capabilities. I will be looking at purchasing a Pioneer VSX-916 next month for audio only.

Cheers:thumbsup:

I bought a Samsung 850 for use with my 42wlt66. Very pleased with it for the price ~ £ 70. I wanted a cheap stopgap until HD DVD players and discs are more widely available at reasonable cost.

Only snag with this machine has been when connecting via HDMI and setting audio out to bitstream (for A/V amp) results in an "HDMI audio not supported" error flashing up on screen all too frequently.

I found the answer to this in firmware for the player available on the web.

Not only does this firmware solve that issue, it adds the HD jpg functionality of the 950 player - great for watching digital stills off CD in full 1920 x 1080 glory!

regards

Brian

Sub £150 - The best is most likely Pioneer 696.

Go a little higher you could get an OPPO 971 from CRTProjectors.

Go higher than that and you could probably pick up a Denon 1920 for £200.

With a TV as good as yours you probably shouldnt get a DVD player lower than these examples, you want to get the best out of it.

I've been looking at the poineer but the 490, is there really much of a difference between the 696 and 490?

Hi,

I am considering linking a Sony DVPNS76HSMR into the SONY HTTSS1000 Cinema system while using the TV on this thread - Toshiba REGZA 42WLT66.

given the comments above and "bigshouts" initial question I'm wondering if I need to rethink my choice of DVD player?

I dont think there is really much difference between the 2 actually.

Theres a thread on ths site somewhere.

I think maybe the 696 is better (or has better Audio Dacs) although you would have to check that out, as not too sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom