1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDMI/DVI-D settings for PWD6 feed by Pio 868avi - Help please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matthew J Taylo, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Panni PWD6 (852x480 pixels) hooked up to a Pio 868avi via a Beldon component cable (slot 3) & a wireworld HDMI-DVI-D cable (Slot 2).

I'd have to say that in all my time with this kit (about 10 months now) I've hardly ever seen a better picture with the HDMI/DVI output (maybe T2 the exception) even when switching to a wireword £150 HDMI/DVI-D cable, dohhhh?

I also noticed the other day that when I had the DVD payer on but wthout a disc in it I could see very small green dotted lines accross the screen when veiwing the HDMI/DVI feed?

I have a few questions about HDMI settings for the Plasma

1. What is the best picture setting for my plasma for region 1 discs ? VGA 640x480, 720x480p or 1280x720p?
    2. Does the screen actually recieve a HDMI signal when also connected to a component cable as switching between the two screen I don't see any difference?
    3. What is pixel mapping/matching?
    4. What do I need to do to recieve HDTV on this screen (I'm off to Australia soon)
    5.. Finally, I can actually play most R2's via the HDMI output which shouldn't happen with the plasma, any thoughts?

I'm just not 100% convinced that I'm seeing the best from my DVD player & plasma.

I've also noticed that over the last 2 months the plasma has started to constantly creek when switched on (almost sounds like it's coming of the wall - it aint!!), it's quite audible & starting to distrupt viewing, it's about 10 months old so close to end of warrenty so I would just like to check all's ok?

Cheers :beer:
    Matt

2. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought PWD6 didn't work with 868 via DVI. Are you sure you are feeding the digital singal?

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    1. What is the best picture setting for my plasma for region 1 discs ? VGA 640x480, 720x480p or 1280x720p?

720p has great results with the Panasonic. 480p would technically be the right res for the screen but quite a few on here use 720p from their iScans rather than native resolution. As always, whatever is best to your eyes is what counts.

2. Does the screen actually recieve a HDMI signal when also connected to a component cable as switching between the two screen I don't see any difference?

Yes the Panasonic shows very little advantage in feeding it DVI over it's excellent analogue inputs. If both inputs are properley setup using an AVIA disc for example then this doesn't surprise me. I'm not the biggest fan of the 868's component output either so you may find a similarly priced, analogue player will give better results than the 868 via DVI (e.g. Denon 2900 I preferred analogue over 868 via digital)

3. What is pixel mapping/matching?

Sending exactly the correct resolution to a plasma so that it bypasses the internal scaler. A 480p signal is exactly the same vertical res as the SD panasonic, but is still processed. As with earlier, 720p I remember gets good results.

4. What do I need to do to recieve HDTV on this screen (I'm off to Australia soon)

Via analogue just component conenctions. Via digital you will not be able to view 50Hz 720p (as with R2 discs set to output 720p on the 868 do not display on the Panasonic)

5.. Finally, I can actually play most R2's via the HDMI output which shouldn't happen with the plasma, any thoughts?

Should work fine at 576p, just not at 720p.

>I'm just not 100% convinced that I'm seeing the best from my DVD player & plasma.

You should be seeing pretty much the best. However reading this forum can confuse so much that you won't know what's going on!! Basically the next step up for you would be dedicated video processing or a higher resolution panel, can't see that settings or new cables are gonna make any difference. I recon you should forget about being 100% convinced and just enjoy your plasma!! If you don't you will only end up spending out a lot more money come the new year because the logic tends to go one of two ways:

1. Well if I'm upgrading to a processor I really need a high res screen to make it worthwhile

or 2. If I'm upgrading to a high res screen I'm really gonna need a decent processor to get the best out of it!

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I must admit, when I bought my SD screen I never ever thought I would buy a processor...now i have a £1k processor, I wish I had gone for the HD screen!!!! doh!!!! :suicide:

Ah well...at least in the future I can upgrade to the HD+ and get a HD screen, but by then I will probs be itching to change my kti anyhow :)...if, and when, HD makes it over here (the key here is that there are HD programs which are actually worth watching!!!!)

5. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam,

I think it was you that sold me the plasma b4 leaving AV-Sales & all your comments make sense. I have left the DVI-D setting @ 720p.

I'm going to sit down with the AVIA disc & have another go at set up.

I am happy with the screen (not happy that I can now but the same screen for £1500!!) & for the majority of disc's I'm seeing a v good picture, I just want to ensure that I'm getting the most out of it.

Jasonjo - the PWD6 does work via the DVI-D module but it will only process NTSC disc's (reg 1) at higher res. It doesn't sound like it would be worth me purchasing a scaler then?

Cheers
    Matt