Best HDMI DVD Player with 576i output

Stuart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a good few years since I've bought a new SD DVD player so I'm after some advice.

I need a decent MR DVD player capable of outputting 576i to my Pioneer 6090.
SACD capability would be useful but not a must and I don't want to spend much more than £200. (Unless I would notice a significent improvement).

I have a PS3, XE1 and Denon 2900 but none can output 576i through HDMI and I want the panel to do all of the scaling & deinterlacing.

Of the above, ony the Denon can output 576i but it's through component and the image looks a little soft.

Thanks for any pointers.

Oppo 980 is well regarded. Don't have one myself but may take the plunge soon. About £150 I think.

It's been a good few years since I've bought a new SD DVD player so I'm after some advice.

SACD capability would be useful but not a must and I don't want to spend much more than £200. (Unless I would notice a significent improvement).

I have a PS3, XE1 and Denon 2900 but none can output 576i through HDMI and I want the panel to do all of the scaling & deinterlacing.

Of the above, ony the Denon can output 576i but it's through component and the image looks a little soft.

Thanks for any pointers.

I got the Pioneer DV-600AV in black for 94 quid. had exactly the same requirements as yours as I wanted the Pio to do the upscaling. It outputs 576i for PAL and 480i for NTSC via HDMI. I also wanted region-free and Divx playback. This one even plays back Divx from memory sticks through the USB port. It seems the DV 400 is also very similar, only without codecs, but I got the 600 cos I got it reasonably cheap. Hope this helps !

Thanks for any pointers.

Hi mate. :)
You want a player that can send an "unaltered" image @ 576i over HDMI :cool: the Oppo 980H does this. :thumbsup:
All the best.

why do you not use the ps3 as it is a blu-ray as well, is the ps3 crap for playing dvds ? as i am wanting the new pioneer

I got the Pioneer DV-600AV in black for 94 quid. had exactly the same requirements as yours as I wanted the Pio to do the upscaling. It outputs 576i for PAL and 480i for NTSC via HDMI. I also wanted region-free and Divx playback. This one even plays back Divx from memory sticks through the USB port. It seems the DV 400 is also very similar, only without codecs, but I got the 600 cos I got it reasonably cheap. Hope this helps !

Ditto, I am extremely happy with the Pioneer DV-600AV, on the 6090 having a good print DVD can look almost as good as blue-ray. :thumbsup:

removed sorry

why do you not use the ps3 as it is a blu-ray as well, is the ps3 crap for playing dvds ? as i am wanting the new pioneer

The PS3 is good DVD player :smashin: but it can't send DVD @ source direct,which is what the O.P wants. :)
All the best.

The PS3 is good DVD player :smashin: but it can't send DVD @ source direct,which is what the O.P wants. :)
All the best.

what is the advantage then ? would there be a great deal of diffrence in picture quality or just a little

what is the advantage then ? would there be a great deal of diffrence in picture quality or just a little

It all depends how good your displays internal processing is. :smashin:
All the best.

Plus it's quite power hungry and loud for a DVD player...

And not region free.

Thanks for the help all.

Regarding the Oppo suggested, I would be concerned that I'd be buying something with a lot of bells and whistles that I won't use and possibly sacrificing the best PQ & AQ.

My main concern is to get the best 576i/480i output to make the most of the Pio. Any other features would be a bonus but are not necessary.

Keep the suggestions coming :smashin:

My main concern is to get the best 576i/480i output to make the most of the Pio. Any other features would be a bonus but are not necessary.

Keep the suggestions coming :smashin:

Hi AV Junkie. :)
Don't forget,a lot of players that can send @ 576i still don't send the picture unaltered :( there's some that go 576i > 576p > 576i before sending :confused: don't ask me why.
Cheers.

Don't forget,a lot of players that can send @ 576i still don't send the picture unaltered :( there's some that go 576i > 576p > 576i before sending :confused: don't ask me why.
Cheers.

Ouch. That seems a bit daft :confused:

Thanks for the heads-up. I am drawn to the Pio 600 mentioned or possibly the newer 610. I take it they are 576i direct?

Last edited:
Ouch. That seems a bit daft :confused:

Thanks for the heads-up. I am drawn to the Pio 600 mentioned or possibly the newer 610. I take it they are 476i direct?

I think the Pio 600 is ok :smashin: some Pioneer's have a Direct mode where the picture is sent simply how it was originally encoded.
Happy hunting. :D

Hi:hiya: I realise your budget is around £200 max but thought i would at least mention the merits of the Pioneer DV-LX50. I was recently in the exact same position as yourself (wanting a good 576i capable, multi region player) to replace my faithful ol Denon 1920.
Like you i also am the proud owner of the 6090 and bought the DV-LX50 based on reviews...i couldnt be happier, it is in my opinion a superb player and matches the screen perfectly...This £500 player is currently on sale at Superfi for £269 and comes Multi-region. Here is the Link http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3617
Hope this is of some help.....good luck:smashin::smashin:

Just a heads up about the Pioneer DV-600.....It can't do Blacker than black from either it's Hdmi or Component outputs ;)

Brian

Cheers.

what does the ps3 do ? will it output 576i unaltered ?

so is that the best or do you need it to be 576i ? or P

It just means you are stuck with the PS3's deinterlacing and would not be able to provide native 576i from DVD to a device that has better deinterlacing capabilities.

AVI

Found a Pio 400 in my local comet going cheap - ex demo - so took a chance.

Outputting 576i into my Lumagen HDQ is very impressive. Did want an Oppo, but this was too good to miss at the price.

so will the pioneer 5090 do a better job at deinterlacing than the ps3 ?

so the best 2 dvd players for this tv are

oppo or dv-lx50 ?

or is there any other better ones

is it best to let teh tv do the work using these 2 players or can thay do a better job at up scaling than the tv

and which is better the oppo or lx50 ?

Any other beside the DV980H that output 4:2:2 colour space and do 2:2 cadence detection?

I'm looking at DV-LX50, Marantz DV7600 and Yamaha DVD-S2700 (but only if I can find a black one).

Marantz does 4:2:2 and 2:2 pulldown but not 576i out of hdmi;
DVD-S2700 does none of the above but looks good and is cheap right now;
DV-LX50 does 576i out of HDMI but I can't find out about 4:2:2 or 2:2 cadence.

Anybody knows, big help. :thumbsup:

Otherwise Oppo DV980H beckons.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom