1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDMI DVD Player under £500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tim k, May 11, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to invest into a high definition dvd player, i have seen pixmania have the phillips dvp 9000s which apparently is the long awaited release of the renamed 900sa.

Heres the product spec:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp900sa_00/dvp900sa_00_pss_eng.pdf#toolbar=0

Not bad for £220 http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/98610/art/philips/dvp-9000s-dvd-sacd-player.html

My dad has the denon 3910, but i have heard its had a couple of problems, what other players are there, is the samsung 945 any good? I personally wouldnt jump on the bandwagon of hdtv dvd for a budget samsung player, surely over the coming months loads of hdmi players will be released and the samsung will be £50 in argos!

Also i find that the phillips doesnt come with an hdmi lead, wheres the best place to get these from?

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The Samsung HD945 is very, very good. A couple of odd quirks that should be fixed with a firmware update but the picture quality is superb. The price is right too.

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Just checking that you aren't confusing HDMI with high definition DVD??
    It's just not clear from your post - I'm sure you realise that none of the players you mentioned are high def DVD players capable of playing either HD/DVD or Blu Ray when they come out- although the Phillips blurb actually says it has a 'high definition picture'. Figure that one out...

Phil

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    HDMI is also an over rated connection method in my experience. Its good at video, but pretty poor at audio.

5. DM 73

DM 73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I had a look at the Denon dvd 2910 which you can get for less than £500 if you shop around and it was superb through HDMI but that may have been down to the screen,best thing to do is go to a dealer and have a look for yourself :smashin:

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
  7. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i must have been confused. So your saying that all these players panasonics, denons, and samsungs and phillips all are in-compatible with hd-dvd or blu ray??

If so arent we all mad with the release of hd-dvd in months?

I found a 2910 on ebay for around £325 delivered from USA, this would need an adapter though.

8. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    HD-DVD players are going to be more than a few months away. Toshiba and sony are still in talks as to wether or not they are going to unify.
    I can't see us having players on sale this year.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    or next? I am not even sure they are talking about unification either.

10. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will a HTPC play HD-DVD using a standard DVD Drive? If so im chuffed after investing a lot of cash into mine.

11. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Check out www.thedigitalbits.com

They've been in talks for about a week now but it does'nt look like it's moving along very quickly.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    TimK

Manufacturers are very good at 'fooling' everyone into thinking many Standard Definition (480i/p and 576i/p) products are High Definition by careful use of the letter 'HD' in product codes and using terms like Progressive Scan, Higher Definition etc.

What the Philips blurb you link to is highlighting is the ability of the Video Processing within the DVD player to 'up convert' the Standard definition information stored on a standard DVD to one of the recognised High Definition formats (720p or 1080i).

Up conversion within the source if handled correctly can be better than up-conversion within your Display or Projector if the manufacturer of the source kit has spent more time and effort employing a better processor than the one provided in your Display or Projector.

As many Displays and Projectors are based on Pixel technology aimed at the PC market (1024x768, 1366x768 etc) or the latest products at the up coming High Definition video market (1280x720 or 1920x1080) then at some stage your Standard Definition 'legacy' source signals need to be converted to the required format for your Display or Projector.

The Sources with up conversion usually offer you fixed output options (720P or 1080i) which is fine if your intended Display or Projector is in this format - if not an external processor from the likes of Lumagen or DVDO is possibly a better option as you can set the processor to Output the optimum resolution for your Display (and make lots more Per Input adjustments to ensure each Input device DVD, Digibox, VCR, DVR etc... is optimised).

Best regards

Joe

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  14. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no answer, will my pc work with hd dvd?

15. snark

snark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short answer - No.

Not without a HD-DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive.

Snark

16. AVC

AVC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beside the Blu Ray and HD DVD there also another format from China, i think they call it HVD.
    it will not play new Blue ray DVD or HD-DVD format.
    They have their own movies to choose from and also their player can upscale normal DVDs as well.
    Looks nice but i didn't try it yet.

http://www.neuneo.com/body/product/hvd2081/feature.asp

Not many movies available yet.