1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDMI DVD for Domino 20H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oliveira, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I finally bought a Domino 20H :clap: , and i´m very pleased with the overall performance :thumbsup: .

Now i want to get the best possible picture using the HDMI port.

I would like some sugestions in a good HDMI match for the Domino.

Is it possible to display 720p via HDMI? :confused:

Thanks.

Pedro

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The best I've seen is the Meridian player, I thought the Pioneer was poor.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I use the Pioneer 668 & 868 players for Sim2 demonstrations and find they perform well with HDMI if set up properly.
    If they aren't they can look pretty dire with "combing" and other artefacts.

You can display 720p with the Pioneer 868 as it has a built-in scaler but you can't use pixel to pixel with the 20H but can with the 30H and 300 series as they are native 1280x720

4. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RTFM,

When you say"(...)they perform well..., you mean that there is a better option than the Pioneer???

5. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

Which Meridian is that??

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Besides the G98 I have not tried any other players than the Pioneers which I find give a very good image with HDMI

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yes it was the G98, I kept seeing banding with the Pioneer 868 on several displays.

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have used the 868 on every Sim2 model in the range including the 3 chipper and have not had any banding problems.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Jeff, I don't know what to say, it's practically inevitable that you will get some banding with HDMI, it's just a question of how much. From what I was, the Meridian was much better. The Pioneer looked better to me via component.

10. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jeff,

Could you qualify the banding you have seen with HDMI ?

Thanks

Jeff

11. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I would have said one of the Pioneers 868i strengths was banding resistance(unless in the source).
    I was paying particular attention to this at first, as i was worried this would show up worse on my DLP.(also clean via my Barco CRT). But was pleased to see almost zero banding.
    I can only assume the display was adding the banding, or that the display was that good as to show what little banding there was.

12. VUDSM

VUDSM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Pioneer S969AVi (Australian Version of 868) into a HT300 Link via HDMI. No banding that I can see. The picture this combo produces is stunning. The other advantage of the Pioneer is that it plays all discs from any region (PAL or NTSC) without a problem (ie. no glitching). This is actually quite rare for DVD players these days.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the setting for "Pure Cinema" in the options. According to the "Secrets of Home Theater" benchmark test, the "Auto2" setting is the best (because it is cadence-based) as below :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=114

I tend to use the Pioneer in "Direct" mode which just passes the source (DVD) direct to your display device, with HDMI set at 720P.

It was basically the comments Jeff (RTFM) had made about the HT300 Link/Pioneer 868 combo via HDMI that prompted me to try it. I'm sure glad I did.

Derek

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I've only seen the 868 at the Bristol show (on several displays), it could well be that they were all setup badly, but what I saw was consistant.

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is the Arcam DV79 out of the running ?

15. VUDSM

VUDSM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

I've got to say that seeing stuff at shows can be problematic. So many great products (Audio components, DVD Players, PJ's etc) are NOT set up properly, which is amazing since shows are meant to be a showcase. But this happens time and time again.

What displays did you see the Pioneer on and was it via HDMI with upscaling (ie. 720P etc).

At least with Sim2 products, the Pioneer 868 is a great match (via HDMI).

Derek

16. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Derek,

Thanks for the hometheaterhifi link. Very useful. Hadn't seen that before.

Regards

Jeff

17. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't think the 79 has a scaler (not 100% sure) like the 868 and G98 so you won't be able to output the native res of a 1280x720 projector.
    Best to avoid scaling if you can.

18. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    At SIM2 UK we use a Pioneer 868i extensively for testing HDMI and I am pleased to report the we have never experienced any banding problems mentioned above. It is important that the correct setup is used, in particular the functions relating to Pure Cinema. The players defaults are generally fine, however as colour saturation is very personal you may find the need to increase the chroma level on the Pioneer to suit as there is no colour adjustment on the projector via HDMI.

At the factory in Italy the Pioneer is used in the final test procedure.

As a package and for the money, the Pioneer appears to be a good bet for many, especially as it is a universal player on the audio side.

Our friends at Arcam have supplied us with their new DV79 which I am pleased to say works exceptionally well, similar to the 668 in the fact that it doesn't have a scaler on board therfore the output is 480p and 576p respectively.

We used the Meridian G98 at the Bristol show and more recently the CEDIA Expo in Birmingham, once again the perfromance was first class, using our new three chipper the HT500 the picture quality was superb, always, if you can ensure the player is set to the native resolution of your display - in SIM2's case use "Pixel to Pixel" mode if your DVD player can output 1280 x 720 on Domino 30, 300xtra, 300 link & 500 link. 1024 x 576 on the Domino 20h and HT280.

We also have in our armoury a Denon A11 again for testing with DVI to HDMI.

To date we have had few problems with HDMI, the most common is failure to obtain a picture when the cable is connected while the products are on. In some case the handshake appears not to connect. Our recommendation is to disconnect/connect when the products are switched off. Then power on the display and player and all will be well.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Managing Director
    SIM2 UK Ltd

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes thats right the DV79 does not have a scaler - but wouldnt the use of an external scaler produce a much better result than using the internal one on the Pioneer ?

Ad Roser - it would be good to get your thoughts on the PQ difference between the Pioneer and the Arcam when used with the Domino 20 . I'm looking to buy a PJ for those moments when I feel I want a bigger picture than my plasma can provide and I already have a DV79. Thanks

20. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    An external processor may give better results but today most manufactures of processors and dvd players use the same chipsets from either Silicon Image, Faroudja, Genesis and Zoran etc so you could get very good results either way. The major benefit of an outboard processor is that you can put other signals through it such as Sky Digital etc.

I have not carried out any side by side comparisons of the Pioneer vs Arcam as i said before both give exceptional performances. Our main reason in having these players here is to assist our customers if they ever get any problems.

Regards

Alan
    SIM2 UK Ltd

21. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since my Projector is the Domino 20H (1024 x 576 ), can the Pioneer (using the internal scaler) output the same resolution (1024 x 576 ) for me to use "pixel to pixel in the projector?

If not what is the best way to go? 576p to match the native resolution of the projector or 720p and let the proj to the downscalling?

Pardon my English, since i´m Portuguese... Thanks.

Pedro

22. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The 868 dooes not output 1024x576 so you can't use pixel to pixel.
    Use "anamorphic" aspect ratio and 576P. The 20H will still have to scale the image horizontally.

23. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!,

A PAL DVD will have 576 lines of information, therefore, I'd expect a better overall performance using a 576i or 576p output from the DVD player to your Domino 20H.
    I'm pleased to say that after a demo over the weekend, I placed an order on a Domino 20H myself :clap: .

After 5 minutes of calibration using DVE, picture quality was absolutely stunning. The only downside I found was the fact that the Domino 20 can't take much ambient light, or it will look washed out.

Another small disappointment was the lack of abilty to have different picture settings (contrast, brightness, color) per input. Is this software related?

Best regards,

NS

24. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You CAN have different settings on different inputs.

If you have much in the way of ambient light you will compromise the performance of any projector.

Jeff :rtfm:

25. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nuno,

What DVD Player are you planning to use with the Domino 20H.

I wonder if i'm going to notice a big difference using HDMI?? Currently i´m using a Denon 2900 with components (Prog scan). :confused:

Since we are both Portuguese here´s my email: pedro.cardigo@energia.edp.pt, so that we can change some opinions in Portuguese :)

RTFM,

Do you think that this lack of abilty to have different picture settings per input is due to the version of software used???

Thanks again!!

26. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your input. When I tried the Domino 20 at home I got the impression that whenever I changed a setting on the component input, it would assume the same change on the S-Video or composite.
    Reading your lines, I'm glad I was wrong!

I agree with you about ambient light, but although 'Home Cinema' means a replica of what actually happens in the cinema (no lights..), there are some projectors that look acceptable with 'some' ambient light. For a true movie experience I prefer total darkness, but for a football match or similar, some light is needed (or else there's some bumping on beer bottles :eek: ).

NS

27. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS

You should find the picture quite acceptable in low ambient light with the football which is a fairly bright image. This is assuming you don't go too big on the screen size or have a low gain (below 1 ) screen.
    Annoyingly in the UK ( and elsewhere ? ) they are not broadcasting the matches in 16:9.
    With the Sim2 projectors you can use one of the user aspect settings to stretch the picture to fill the screen width. You will have to adjust the height too otherwise it will look more like rugby.

Jeff

28. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Jeff!

I haven't purchased a screen for the projector yet. I was thinking on a Draper Luma. Do you have other sugestions that might suit best this projector?

Cheers,

NS

29. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    NS

I would choose a matte white screen or one with a small amount of gain, say 1.3

Any of the well known brands should be fine as long as the coating is uniform and the material lays flat you should be fine.

Jeff

30. adefesio

adefesio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Domino20 (without H), and I have reciently bought a Da-Lite Model B High Contrast Matte White (it´s not white, it´s grey:). Before, my screen was a Da-Lite Matte White (1.o gain and really white:)
    You will see a best contrast and more luminosity. It´s a good screen and not expensive. I think is one of the best screen for this projector with a good price.
    Agur from Bilbao