Best hdmi cable to use for a 15m run.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by silverback1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. silverback1

silverback1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    May need to replace my current 15m hdmi cable as it may be the cause of picture problems we are getting after changing from an Onkyo 905 to a Marantz AV7005 pre/proc.

This is not definate but may be an option,although I had no issues with this cable while using the Onkyo as soon as we put the Marantz in we struggled to get a 1080p feed to the pj....my first thoughts were its a fault in the Marantz as nothing else has changed apart from that so seems logical...but after returning it to my dealer he has hooked it up in the store with no picture issues at all,admittedly only over a 5m run so they are attempting to get a longer cable just to try it.

If worst comes to the worst I may have to remove my cable so they can test that but it is not an easy task as it is burried uder the bedroom floor...

But back to cables.there are no marking on the cable I have at the moment but guessing it may be a pretty low budget item as it was supplied with the pj but I could be wrong just wanted to get some feed back on what sort of cables people would recommend for a long 15m run...thanks

2. leecavturbo

leecavturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    going to have to convert to cat5/6 and back i think mate

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    At 15m your way beyond the maximum length you can achieve and meet the High Speed HDMI cable certification test - though that's not to say you can't achieve 1080p over a 15m cable; in the real world, it simply means that it doesn't take much to disturb a 1080p signal on a 15m cable.

I doubt your cable is 'faulty' more likely the New Processor is Outputting a slightly lower voltage than the replaced AVR.

First option would be a powered HDMI Extender on the far end of the 15m cable - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDE-UK.htm

Next option would be to replace the HDMI cable with 2xCAT6 and go the HDMI over dual Twisted Pair route - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDCATIR-UK.htm

Joe

4. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113