Best HDMI cable for 10 metre run?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by yarand, Mar 27, 2006.

1. yarand

yarand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently use IXOS Scart to connect my Sky+ to my HDMI TV, over a distance of c. 10 metres, and there is a significant loss of signal quality.
    What would be the best HDMI cable to invest in when I get my new Sky HD box, with the same c. 10 metre run to the HDMI TV?
    I don't mind spending up to £100 - £150 if that is what it takes to guarantee a quality signal, but I'm not keen on spending c. £400 that I've seen for some such cables.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. yarand

yarand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting HORRIBLY confused on this issue.
    I keep getting conflicting advice - firstly I am told (by 2 separate sources)that, over a 10 metre cable run, QED Qunex HDMI-P is the best, but then I am told that over a 10 metre distance it is not good. I have also been told that the IXOS 458 is very good, but I have also been told that it is not!
    I am now being advised that Display Magic HDMI-12-HH is the best.
    Can anybody help?
    My concern is to maintain as close to maximum signal quality - vision AND sound - between HD source and HD TV.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Look to 1080p for future proof especially if it is going into an install. This limits many potential candidates at 10m length. Buy only on sale or return so you can test the cable yourself. I would buy Better Cables Display magic myself given the choice as I know they work.

Ask any potential supplier if they will guarantee 1080p at the length you want and that usually separates the men from the boys. Then ask for sale or return just to turn the knife. You will end up with a much shorter short list.

4. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    maybe move the Sky box closer to the TV? im presuming youve already thought of this :) but it will save you alot of money and peace of mind due to a much shorter cable so maybe no quality loss.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello yarand

The QED Qunex HDMI-P is definitely not the best option to consider - this is from the QED catalogue and web site:

'QED’s QUNEX HDMI–P cables are fully compliant with the version 1.1 of the HDMI specification.

All (HDMI-P) HDMI leads of over 7m in length do not comply with the current version 1.0 specifications'.

So a possible contender up to 7.0m and then best avoided I'd suggest - and keep in mind QED now also have the HDMI-SR (up to 10m).

The QED catalogue says the HDMI-SR is 'exceptional' whilst the HDMI-P is only 'excellent' - which sounds like your definitely missing out on something with an HDMI-P.

Best regards

Joe