1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HD Ready 42" or 50" Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JetJockey, Aug 31, 2005.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just sold my Panny PWD42 Series 5 Plasma and am looking to purchase a new 42 or 50 inch replacement.

Ideally the new plasma must be HD Ready, as I would like to feed it amongst other things, a video stream from my PC using High Def material. Things have moved on since I last looked.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards, Gerald. :)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Gerald, 'best' can mean many things, but current fave is the Fujitsu P50XHA40US, for lots of good reasons. The new Panasonics will doubtless give it a run for it's money, but they are a month away, as is the Pioneer 506. If you loved your panasonic, the Fujitsu or the Panny when it arrives are likely to please you most.

3. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Maw

Had not considered a Fujitsu. I will have a look at it this evening. Sounds interesting on the HD side.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

4. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    get a 50 not 42-43... I use a MXE1

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey!

Just recovering after the fall caused by seeing the price of the 50" Fujitsu!!!
    Jeepers, creepers..........£5K :eek:

Well, I don't mind paying the money if it's that good but is it?? :confused:

Is there anywhere I can go to see one of these in operation, possibly being fed HD material. Preferably not too far from sunny Wales. I'm afraid that for this sort of money, I need to see it running before I buy. :rolleyes:

Just what improvement to the picture do the better electronics make? Has anybody out there got one of these, and would they be prepared to offer an opinion?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, if the price induces that reaction, I'd give it a few weeks and look at the PHD panasonic, for the money you save you could fit in a decent scaler and a night out.... I don't know of anyone demoing the Fuji, or anything non 'pioneer XDE', though Hinchelys of Cardiff used to be Fuji dealers, they've probably only got thr ALIS panel 42.
    There are a number of well convinced Fuji owners here, try a search, they have their own mutual congratulation thread!
    I hope Wales remains sunny, I'll be there next weekend. It always rains when I visit.

BTW, I think if you check some more threads/sponsor websites, you'll find the fuji has had a £500 pricedrop, but is still £1k more than the Panasonic. There, hopefully I've not broken rule 7.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Hello Gerald

Welcome back - you must have collected a few 'air miles' since your last visit to AVForums.

The Fujitsu P50XHA40US is very good - though not convinced you will like the fact its fan cooled! (Note the UK SRP is 4.5K not 5K).

The Panasonic TH-50PHD8BK is on its way and the price is looking pretty favourable - though again fan cooled!

The Pioneer PDP-50MXE1 is getting a bit long in the tooth (nothing new in the MXE range on the near horizon from PGB) but still works very well and is about the only 'silent' 50" Display on the market.

I take it you ruled out front projection?

Best regards

Joe

8. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again.

Whats this rule 7 then Maw, I am intrigued? Whereabouts in Wales will you be next weekend?

Hi Joe. Yup, clocked up too many air miles really. It's reached the stage where friends ask me where I've been over the last few days, and my genuine answer is that I can't remember!! :confused: All these places end up looking the same. They are generally hot, humid, and mostly barren and covered in high rise hotels. What the customers don't see (but we do from the air) is the huge industrial complex just around the headland! It is a real pleasure on our return each day, to look down over Devon and Wales and see that lovely green countryside. Having said all of that, I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice, which brings me right back to Plasmas! :D

Not given up on front projection but I have now got a Beachcomber Hot Tub in my Cinema room. :smashin: The tub is a big piece of real estate and at the moment rules out any other use for the room. :thumbsdow

I am now looking for a replacement display to go in my living room so it has to be viewable (is that a word) in bright sunlight. I had assumed Plasma was the only answer.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rule 7, we are not allowed to quote prices in the forum.I guess pointing out the rec. retail is not quoting! In a bright room, well, as bright as Wales gets.... you might like to consider the MXE Pioneer, it works well with a scaler, and you could deal with HDCP with a stripper. They kick out more light than the Pana and Fuji screens, and can overcome more background light as a consequence, I find. Not to mention they are cheaper than the others.
    I'm heading for Carmarthen, to fit the in laws a system. Plans now slightly awry, my son has got himself picked for rugby, so a moring in the mud in Reading is part of the deal.

10. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Fuji but unfortunately it's the first plasma that I've owned so I can't really compare it to any others. On Sky it is very good but there is the occasional digi artefact (posterisation being the worst) but on DVD it is, to my eyes, flawless.

The fan is annoying. Most of the time I either can't hear it or don't notice it but every now and then it pops into my consciousness and I get a bit ****** off spending so much money for a panel that hums.