Best HD DVD to showcase new equipment

Jonnywishbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finally took delivery of my 360 HD DVD this morning, also have a LE40M87/6 arriving later today along with a official VGA cable for 1080p movies (Thanks AV Forums for advise).

What I would like to know is what film/s should I go and buy to showcase my newly acquired equipment. I'm not looking for film reviews here - just what will blow my socks off for my first 1080p experience...:D

I'm going on picture quality alone here not movie quality.

Matrix Trilogy
Fast and The Furious
Batman Returns

I'm going on picture quality alone here not movie quality.

Matrix Trilogy
Fast and The Furious
Batman Returns

LOL that was a given when you included the Fast and the Furious in it :D

I thought 300 was a quite grainy overlay, so despite a good quality press, surely it's still going to look odd???

thanks for suggestions,

I was already thinking about 300 but it's not out in shops until 1/10/07. I can get it online but I am the most impatient man I know and will pop into town and buy something today (once my new tv arrives anyway).

Are all HD DVD's 1080p????

nobody mentioned "planet earth" ???? :confused:

Indeed, i'd go for planet earth. Don't think it's out here yet though. You'd have to order it from MovieTyme.

For picture quality I'd personally reccommend: -
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Shooter
- 300 (Order from MovieTyme!)
- Bourne Supremacy
- All Fast & Furious

Some of those can be picked up for reasonable prices on the high street too if you need a disc or 2 today! Best bets are Virgin or Gamestation. Some discs for £15 :D

Heroes Season 1 Boxed set is a very good picture aswell, it is also a showcase for how a TV series boxed set should be presented lots of extras including quite a few video commentaries, artwork and interactive features:)

for me Children of Men or Harry Potter both have an incredible picture and sound mix in my opinion, but if i was to choose between them, Children of Men, the picture is really jaw dropping i feel.

I would definately go with any of the Matrix films, they all have an excellent picture.

Also Hot Fuzz has a very good picture as well. I also found Mi III to be pretty good as well.

Personally I wasnt very impressed with Batman Begins, it obviously looks better than DVD, but I wasnt blown away by it thats for sure.
Don't really know why either, maybe the picture has a softness to it, not too sure.

Picture quality.

1. serenity (though the actual film is ***** with a capital S)
2. Aeon Flux
3. Worlds fastest Indian (and its a very good film too)
4. King Kong (good film to)
5. 300 (order from movietyme as above, I got mine about 6 weeks ago for £18 posted.

I'd probably go for King Kong, Hot Fuzz, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, Prestige. All of which have a) really sweet scenes that'll impress and b) once that novelty of HD itself starts to wear off you'll actually want GOOD films in your collection.. and all the above are.. :thumbsup:

How're you finding this? I've a 360 + HD-DVD and an second hand Sharp Aquos lC30HV4U

I'm really tempted by the samsung LE40M87 ,my other half is adamant I don't need another but to truly appreciate Heroes and Serenity (the only two I've got so far) I think I really need the full 1080p screen. For 6-8 feet away the samsung should be ok.

Anyway, how is the LE40M87 with Xbox games / HD DVD?

Cheers,
Dunk

PS - I'm using component, much difference with your VGA cable?

Hi Guys,

Finally took delivery of my 360 HD DVD this morning, also have a LE40M87/6 arriving later today along with a official VGA cable for 1080p movies (Thanks AV Forums for advise).

What I would like to know is what film/s should I go and buy to showcase my newly acquired equipment. I'm not looking for film reviews here - just what will blow my socks off for my first 1080p experience...:D

Picture quality.

1. serenity (though the actual film is ***** with a capital S)
2. Aeon Flux
3. Worlds fastest Indian (and its a very good film too)
4. King Kong (good film to)
5. 300 (order from movietyme as above, I got mine about 6 weeks ago for £18 posted.

you think kong and flux are good and serenity is **** all i can say is stay off the drugs

its a great film and fab in hd :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom