Best HD Box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by phardy, Feb 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. phardy

phardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have just cancelled my sky subscription so will be looking for a freesat HD box in the very near future. Have any sites done a review of them all comparing features, pros and cons, etc. Which box tends to be the most favoured?

2. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Very wise choice you have made.

In terms of boxes then it depends if you want recording functionality. If you do then there is only the HUMAX PVR available at the moment for about 290 quid best price. Its apparently a very nice piece of kit. There is a new PVR coming around april I believe which might be cheaper.

In terms of non recording boxes. I have the goodmans model from argos and it does a very good job. I did have the BUSH but it had a very directional remote which annoyed me. the goodmans also has buttons on the front when the bush didnt, but internally they are the same.

For all info on the boxes id try

Join Freesat

3. rbrian

rbrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd definitely recommend getting the Humax HDR, if only because it is the only one that records. Like the Sky+ ads a few years ago said, it really does change the way you watch TV!

And if you've previously been paying for Sky, then £290 is not a lot of money, you'll probably make it back in a year, depending what package you had.

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I have just bought a Bush HD Receiver from Argos (£97) and I have to say that it works well. The manual is hopeless but you can find out how to do stuff that is doesn't cover (like add Non-Freesat channels) from these forums.

The Bush, Grundig and Goodmans are all the same box (Alba) anyway and so you may as well buy the cheapest.

However there is currently a dirth of HD on Freesat, especially if you are used to Sky HD.

5. pdoherty76

pdoherty76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Freesat HD is by far the best value as the HD output is free. There may not be that much of it but at least it is all pretty good quality and true HD rather than upscaled. For me, the ITV HD football was worth the price of the box alone, but other people may feel differently.

Regarding the BUSH box, I agree there are no major problems with it but the directional remote drove me mad. i only say the goodmans is slightly better because the remote works from anywhere and you have simple buttons on the front of your box in case you lose the remote etc

By the way, as a BUSH box owner, have you seen anyway to get the channel to automatically change when you set a reminder?