1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HCPC setup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RobsterD, May 15, 2004.

1. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My approach to my HCPC setup has changed since I put in a 100Mbps
    network ,previous to the install I was running everything from the PC in my lounge ie DVD burner,2X160g,2x200g Sata(raid0).
    Since the network I've moved the burner out and now am seriously thinking about the hard drives.
    Streaming a film over the network worked flawlessly and looks like I'll be building a cheap server up stairs.
    Wondering what setups people are using ie dedicated HCPC or networked HCPC,it would seem this HCPC lark is again gonna take me in another expensive direction.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated on advantages/disadvantages
    Cheers
    Rob

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Rob

an interesting post..we are working on a number of solutions to this 'centralised media' approach.
    The benefits are 'watch anything, anywhere' , but at the moment the complexity of setup means that it is really beyond what most people are prepared to do. Things are starting to change though, this is seen as a hot new sector in the world of AV.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi Rob,

I would say definitely go with the networked approach. I am currently running an HCPC downstairs linked to my main PCs upstairs with 100mbit cable and it seems to be a perfect solution. I've got all my CDs ripped using monkeys lossless audio, a collection of about 150 films, various series of friends and scrubs all on HD upstairs - I've got to say I've had little or no problem with this type of solution.

At the moment I only have one client PC (only a small flat at the moment), but when we move this could easily be expanded and I could have several clients around the house. I don't envisage the 100mbit network becoming obsolete for this purpose for some time, certainly not until HDTV is popular in the UK.

I have a single small, quiet HD in the HCPC and do all my recording of TV shows over the network onto larger noisier disks upstairs, again no problems with this setup, the nebula digitv software simply sees a mapped network drive and reads and writes to it flawlessly.

Of all the parts to do with setting up an HCPC I would say this was the most straightforward for me. The software side of things has had a lot more troubles :censored:

I'd say go for it, it's a lot more elegant solution and is a lot more expandable in the future too.

Just my 2p,
    Owain

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    what about networking captured live TV from one PC to one or more clients?
    That would be the killer app for me, but I'm having probs seeing how to do it.
    I've got a Leadtek Winfast capture card, for experimentation and have the sweetspot at the top of my list for when I can network TV. But the sweetspot web site is a bit vague and it looks like the sound has to be captured seperatley. But how?

Any ideas anyone?

I've looked at SageTV. SageRecorder and SageClient sound like they do just this but don't support the Sweetspot or Leadtek cards.
    I've also tried http://www.videolan.org/ but it also won't work with my current capture card.

5. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    All that time I spent trying to get that Silverstone case cos it could take 4 hard drives and 2 DVD drives and now I'm gonna only need 1 hard drive and 1 DVD drive,well I suppose I can discard all those fans now !!!!
    Regarding the server what would be the minimum spec I could get away with re CPU and memory. Will be running XP pro.
    Cheers
    Rob

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    NaTT, there are some options for serving live TV over Cat5, the nebula digitv PCI card (DTT) can do this although I've struggled a bit then given up on mine (I don't really need that function so didn't bother chasing it up, others have it working fine and the customer support is great so I wouldn't be put off by my experiences!). Short of VideoLAN I'm not sure of a solution, you can get some quite cheap cards now so may be worth upgrading - a hauppage PVR 250 can be got for £79 and works perfectly with Sage I believe.

Rob, For a server which just has to stream music/DVDs/avis to one or two PCs I reckon you could get away with very little power, one of my PCs upstairs is an athlon 1600+ and it copes fine, I'm sure you could easily go lower if all it was doing is disk reads and writes. Might be worth looking at some of the cheap pre built deals that places like www.microdirect.co.uk do, they would be up to it I'm sure. You can upgrade the PSU and add extra storage cheaply and easily with RAID cards if you wanted. In fact for about £75 you can get a four port SATA RAID 5 card.

HTH
    Owain