Best Harmony for MCE

Spy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I would like to control a variety of AV equipment but also an MCE computer.

In your experienve, which would be the best Harmony to buy ?

Spy said:
I would like to control a variety of AV equipment but also an MCE computer.

A lot would depend on your other AV equipment. However, I have an LCD TV, surround sound amp, Telewest TV Drive, dvd player, vhs recorder, Xbox 360, and my pc runs MCE.

I would point out that I only use Media Centre streamed to the Xbox 360, so don't have a need to control any pc functions.

To control all this I use the Harmony 360, which is automatically configured for the Xbox 360, but only available from the US. However it controls all my equipment faultlessly, and was simple to set up.

The other equipment is a Denon 3803, Sky Digital and probably a Panasonic PHD8 screen.
The MCE would be used for all TV, DVD, music playing etc hence the need for really good MCE compatibility

Spy said:
To be honest I think you could use any of the Harmony remotes with a Media Center. The Harmony website has a "Media Center PC" as one of the devices you can add to your remote and it has a full set of Media Center remote commands - so you can add a Media Center device to any Harmony remote and have full Media Center functionality. This means your only real decision is choosing the remote that best suits you in terms of functionality, design and price.

I have a Harmony 885 and use that to control Media Center and it works flawlessly. Originally when I added the Media Center device the "Green Button" on the Media Center remote was mapped to a button on the Harmony LCD screen but I removed that and made the "Menu" button on the remote my "Green Button".

hornydragon said:

The link you posted is for the 680, whereas I'm using the 360. This does have coloured buttons, only in the order used by the Xbox and not the same order as on a UK remote.

For watching TV I've set these buttons to function as the appropriate colour buttons for my tv drive, so assume it would work the same for sky.

hornydragon said:
hmm perhaps the 360 is the best for Euro MCE as well then (MCE and 360 are very similar i think)

Yes the media functions are identical I think, as the media remote for mce and the media remote for the 360 are interchangeable.

As it happens, I've also just received a 555 that I ordered for my mum. This looks more or less identical to the 360 remote, apart from colour (it's black & dark silver.

The only differences I've noticed so far are that it has slightly different buttons, and it has the coloured buttons at the bottom and in the correct order for sky etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom