Question Best hardware to play 4k via Plex server

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by freeflyer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. freeflyer

freeflyer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry for asking - I realise this question has been asked many times and I have searched the forums but I cannot find a clear answer and some of the posts are years old.

At the moment I have a server running Plex Media Server and an Amazon Fire TV (2nd gen) for the Plex client.

I was recently given a 4K TV (Toshiba 55U6663DB 55") so I now want to make the most of it and direct play 4K via my Plex server (which my Fire TV cannot do). I also have a surround sound system so I want to maintain Dolby/DTS etc.

From what I can tell, the Nvidia Shield 4K appears to be the best option - is this still the case ?

Server: Dell PowerEdge T30 Intel Xeon E3-1225v5 3.3GHz (8GB) with 4x4TB WD Red HDD running Ubuntu 16.04 and Plex Media Server
    AVR: Denon AVR-X3300W
    Speakers: Dali Zensor Vokal (center), Dali Zensor 3 (front), Dali Zensor 1 (rear), XTZ 12.17 (sub)
    TV: Toshiba 55U6663DB 55" 4K UHD
    Blu-ray player: Samsung BD-C5500
    Streaming: Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (for Plex) / Apple TV 3rd Gen

2. jwort93

jwort93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're looking for plex specifically, I would actually say the Vero 4K+ w/ the Plex Kodi add-on would actually be your best bet. If you want plex and other apps as well, I would say the Shield TV would be your best bet.

3. freeflyer

freeflyer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks jwort93, Im only interested in streaming media from my server via Plex but in 4k to make the most of the TV. Not interested in the gaming side or apps in particular other than Plex etc

Having read reviews its not clear whether any of these media devices will play 4K without issues. The reason I've never bought a 4K TV myself is because there is little content (unless you pay expensive subscriptions for Sky etc). Other than Plex for my local media I only have Freeview, which actually looks worse on this larger 4K TV than it did on my old 37" Samsung! It seems pointless having a TV which can display 4K when Im only able to display SD or the few HD channels available on Freeview, I'm still considering swapping the 4K 55" TV back to my old Samsung 37" TV and stick with my Amazon Fire TV... at least the SD channels look better on the Samsung !

Theres so many devices out there but they all have limitations and pit falls, there doesn't seem to be any devices that will just play 4K from a media server like Plex.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    The Shield will be fine for the task.

Most 4K is HEVC/H.265 video which the Shield plays and its fine even with the stock Plex client.

Plex is often just a skin over the stock video players on many devices which is why they wont always play 4K media natively, the core media player on the Shield is pretty good so the Plex client can handle most media formats.