1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Hardware Components for PC AV Jukebox

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by milanlad, Feb 13, 2005.

1. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which hardware components give the best performance for a PC based audio and DVD movie Jukebox?

A few components people have mentioned:

SweetSpot Video Processor
    RealMagic Xcard DVD and Divx player

What do you think?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Sweetspot is a great capture card for use with external analogue ( or sdi modded) equipment.

For dvd playback I'd avoid the Xcard combo and go with theatertek or zoomplayer combined with ffdshow You simply cannot better this sort of quality from dvd . I doubt there is a better way of viewing sd material on the planet to be honest. And you can play back other media types including HD and recordings made from a suitable TV tuner ( recommend the nebula digitv myself).

You'll need a decent cpu to run ffdshow with any sort of major settings going on though.

3. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which components are suitable for connection through PAL RGB via a standard TV, for capture and playback, DVD playback, and hard drive based DVD jukebox?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Depends on what display you are using. You've got yuor plasmas and LCDs which pretty much behave just like normal computer monitors on the whole and are best treated as such.

Then you get the odd CRT TV that can take a vga input.

Then you get the normal bog standard interlaced Tvs . Then its a question of getting the PC to output a suitable format. Some cards will output a suitable signal in component in your TV takes it .You can also hack together a vga to rgb scart lead . You could use an svideo output on your graphics card .. depends really. The Xcard has its own output seperate from the graphics card but I don't remember it being particularly good quality.