1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best hard drive partitioning

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by groovyclam, May 10, 2004.

1. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some questions about the best way to set up a hard drive.

I have a 200 gig Seagate for use in an HTPC I am building for watching DVDs, recording TV and viewing photos ( but *not* playing games )

I am going to partition it with an 8 gig partition for WinXP and all the apps to drive the HTPC and leave the rest free on one other single large partition as space for video capture of TV programmes / photos.

My question is what is the best filesystem to format the partitions in - FAT32 or NTFS ?

Also what about cluster size ? NTFS can have 1k, 2k or 4k clusters and FAT32 can have bigger cluster sizes. Is it best with larger or small clusters ?

It's not SATA if that makes a difference.

2. ellie666

ellie666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTFS unquestionably, just go with the standard cluster size there is no need to change them.

personally i would split the remaining partition down to allow backups to be placed on one of the partitions, that way if you're sticking with the single drive then you're a bit safer.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Don't forget though, that if the hard drive goes down, if you are using the other partitions for backup you will lose all of your backups as well. Personally I would never back up onto the same physical drive.
    I would also have the XP partition bigger than 8 GB - but that's just personal choice.

4. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

The HTPC is going to have a wireless connection to another PC in the house which I will be using to backup and archive recorded TV programmes/photos to CD/DVD.

John - why more than 8 GIG for the XP partition ? My current PC is maxing its XP and Apps partition at 4 and a half GIG and that is with several apps that won't be going on the HTPC. Have I overlooked something that needs a bigger XP partition in the HTPC ?

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    No reason really mate - just personal preference. It should function perfectly well with the 8GB partition :)

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,524
    That will be very slow!!!

Consider a copper cable connection instead.