Best Guide for EAC / FLAC Set-up

eddiem74

Ok, so I downloaded EAC a few months ago, and ripped my CD collection with EAC and LAME. Oh why didn't I just do FLAC to start with ! :suicide:

I used one of the first guides I came across from an online article to set-up EAC with LAME, and it has worked fine from what I can tell. I guess I at least now have my MP3 version ripped. :rolleyes:

I am now considering going back and doing EAC / FLAC, however before doing this I wanted to ensure I get it right. There seem to be various articles around on the web, none to recent, that have slightly different settings which doesn't help.

Sooo, I need the AVForums EAC experts to either, share with me the best online guides to follow, or post up some screenshots/pics of their settings to follow. :lease: :smashin:

Last edited:

Stone Free

REACT2 a scripting system for running EAC tasks with a relatively simple ini file used to configure the rips is quite good. You can make it rip to multiple formats at the same time, it also includes album art downloading (this can be configured on or off), and replaygain scanning. So you could produce a FLAC image for backup purposes and rip to AAC or MP3 at the same time (I just set it to rip flac tracks).

You can find it on the Hydrogen Audio forums.

The guide is here - REACT - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

You can download it at the link:
REACT:Mods - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

You just extract the zip file into a folder on your hard disk, run the exe which starts EAC. Then press Ctrl-F2 to Configure EAC to be used with REACT.

Kaprikawn

Novice Member

eddiem74

Ok, I have used the guides to compare settings with my current and make minor tweaks where needed.

One thing I don't understand and am confused on is the "External Compression" tab under "Compression Options" and specifically the "Additional command line options".

Both guides are different on this:

I am a little unsure what to put here ? or what exactly this will affect in terms of ripping ? :confused:

peter312

I use the following additional command line:

-5 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

As I understand it, the -5 is FLAC compression level 5. Most of the rest is tagging information.

Cheers

eddiem74

I've also now ripped a track with LAME and FLAC, and FLAC definitely sounds much better. :D

However when I look at the files on my harddrive, the LAME file seems to show tag data e.g. title, track number, genre, however the FLAC file doesn't ?

I have opened the FLAC file in MP3Tag, and do get the tag data, not sure why I don't see it on the harddrive ? Ideas ? :confused:

peter312

I believe it is because windows does not natively support FLAC.

Druboo

Novice Member
Ok, I have used the guides to compare settings with my current and make minor tweaks where needed.

One thing I don't understand and am confused on is the "External Compression" tab under "Compression Options" and specifically the "Additional command line options".

Both guides are different on this:

I am a little unsure what to put here ? or what exactly this will affect in terms of ripping ? :confused:
Never looked at the compression options before, but compared to the bottom one my Bit rate is 768 kBits/s, add ID3 tag and check for external programs return code are ticked :confused:

peter312

The bit rate is irrelevant as the compression is set in the additional command line box: "-8" in this case. I believe the ID3 tags box is also irrelevant, as the tagging is also set in the additional command line box.

:)

eddiem74

I use the following additional command line:

-5 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

As I understand it, the -5 is FLAC compression level 5. Most of the rest is tagging information.

Cheers
What does the "-V" do ?

Last edited:

eddiem74

I have downloaded FLAC version: flac-1.2.1-win.zip from here. I assume this is the lastest version, right ?

Also once I unzip it, do I just disregard all the other files, and just copy the flac.exe to my EAC folder ? :confused:

Thanks again, nearly there now ! :smashin:

eddiem74

Also, if you rip to FLAC, and then use MP3Tag to tag everything. Is there any risk when you then convert from FLAC to MP3/Other formats of loosing the tag information ?

Thanks again.

peter312

I can't remember why the -V is there - I know it works fine though.

Yes, all you need is flac.exe - it doesn't matter which folder you put it in, as long as you specify the correct path.

Assuming you use something like dBpoweramp or foobars to convert your FLAC files to mp3's, you should not lose any tag data (although foobars doesn't copy across embedded album art). TBO, I have never lost tags when convertinf from FLAC to MP3 using any software.

Just don't convert via a wav file as these have no tags!

eddiem74

I can't remember why the -V is there - I know it works fine though.

Yes, all you need is flac.exe - it doesn't matter which folder you put it in, as long as you specify the correct path.

Assuming you use something like dBpoweramp or foobars to convert your FLAC files to mp3's, you should not lose any tag data (although foobars doesn't copy across embedded album art). TBO, I have never lost tags when convertinf from FLAC to MP3 using any software.

Just don't convert via a wav file as these have no tags!
Ok, great ! So what software would copy embedded art, if any ?

peter312

dBpoweramp batch converter

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom