1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best graphics card? Will it do what I want?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hoyin, Jan 24, 2005.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I will be connecting my HTPC to a Sharp 26" LCD. Which means I will have true 16:9 and 1:1 pixel matching.

However there are many things I want to take into consideration:

1. What graphics card will be suitable as my LCD will need a DVI cable about 12-15m in length. I have heard some card drivers cannot handle this. Could you suggest some that are capable of doing this?

2. I am hoping to use my work PC as my HTPC as well. However I forsee some problems.

Currently I am running a dual 17" LCD display. 1 from an AGP Geforce mx4 and the other from a PCI Geforce Mx4.

Now I am fine with replacing the AGP card with a more powerful one and one with a decent DVI out. But the problem I forsee is that I will not have the LCD tv on all the time. Am I able to display a different desktop on the DVI out put and the VGA output?

What happens if I wish to work whilst the TV is on? Will I beable to do this?

It would mean running two desktops from one graphics card, I don't think this will be possible. This would mean I would have to have a seperate PC just for HT?

Something I am trying to avoid.

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Ho yin

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    AFAIR You can easily run two desktops from one graphics card - a mate used to have a Dual Head Matrox card that enabled that quite merrily. My PC has a Nvidia 5900XT in it and I can have multiple desktops - One using the DVI and one using the standard VGA connector (I just had a quick look).

So basically you shouldn't have any issues with getting something similar and running a PC Desktop on one output and the Movie output on the other :thumbsup: (I just don't use my PC that way - so I can't physically confirm it - but it's all there in my config)

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

But I did have a dual head graphics card but I binned it infavour of having two seperate video cards the reason being was that the desktop was shared over two monitors. So when you maximised a window it spread across both screens.

Whereas now when I am using two different graphic cards it treats them as two seperate desktops, when I maximise a window it fills one screen only.

Hence my question .. does the DVI output a seperate desktop or just an total extension of the main desktop.

Will the Nvidia card driver support 15m of DVI cable?

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The driver I'm using enables Multiple Desktops - not just an extension of one across two screens. I can't unfortunately check beyond this as the driver detects the screens attached to the card - and i've only got one! This web page seems to explain the multiple desktops as you would probably use them. As for a 15m cable working - check this link out, it may assist

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html

Again - I just use my PC as a PC, not for anything else :thumbsup: