1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Graphics card for LC26GA3E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by phew, Dec 9, 2004.

1. phew

phew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peeps,

I have a LC26GA3E and struggle to get 1366x768 as a 'desktop' from XP with a nVidia FX5600 via DVI (even with PoewrStrip 3.55?).

A good read is: http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/ (mostly related to nVIDIA cards), for well researched information.

My ? is: What graphics cards are known to work OK at the Sharp 1366x768 resolution from a WinXP point of view; with what 'PoewerStrip' (if required) settings?...

...Is there is a card that gives a 'native' 1366x768 WITHOUT 'stretching or shrinking' in software or firmware then that maybe what I need?

My plan would be to ultimately send a 1366x768 desktop to the LC26GA3E and have that display it 'DOT to DOT'

...later,
    phew

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only cards that I know of, that can display 1366x768, are a few Matrox graphics cards. You'll never get 1366x768 (DOT to DOT) with a regular card, as they can only do reoloutions that can be divided by 8. The closest you could get would be either 1368x768, or 1360x768.

I have a 32GA3E, and have it connected to my computer via a DVI cable. It is running at 1360x768, so there are 3 pixels on either side of the screen that aren't used. From a normal viewing distance, you can't even see the missing pixels, and the picture looks perfect.

The only options you really have, are to either buy a graphics card that can handle 1366x768, or put up with 6 missing pixels on either side of the screen (or loose 2 pixels with 1368x768).

3. phew

phew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, concentrating on the EDID of the Sharp is a waste of time then?

...later,
    phew.

4. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Output 1368x768, you'll lose 2 rows of pixels at each side.

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - use 1360 or 1368 x 768, as I found out the other evening (thanks to one of the other contributors on here) this works via either DVI or VGA but you *MUST* remember to set the input type to 1368x768 in the TV menu - if it's set to 1280 x 768 or 1024 x 768 then you'll get a wierd display with loads of "dropped" pixels.

All my graphics cards seem to be ATi Radeon based (9000, 9600 and 9700) but this is just by coincidence...

Phil

6. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - complete waste of time - Just choose one of the 1368 x 768 settings in powerstrip and "Add" it. I think you then need a reboot and it should appear in your list of supported resolutions under Display Properties. Choose it, select Input Type of 1368 x 768 in the TV menu, set "Dot-for-dot" mode and Richard should be your mothers immediate male relative...

Phil

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Shouldn't that be Robert ?

8. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all,

I have just managed to get the Sharp from John Lewis and am impressed, apart from what looks like a dead pixel near the centre of the screen I have spoken to JL and they are getting another screen for me as it is within 28 days of purchase. But am having trouble setting it up. when I set it to 1368 * 768 (have added it via Nvidia driver 71.84) then set TV to this and DOT for DOT I loose the right hand edge of the display so no taskbar. What am I doing wrong ?? The graphics cards are state of the art 2 6600 GT running in SLI mode so no issue there. Also when trying to what a DVD from Windows Media centre the image is not filling the screen. Any ideas as I am using the Nvidia DVD Decoder ??? Cheers In advance

Jason

9. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    go into advanced timing and I bet it says "1280", change that to "1368" then apply. For some reason you'll have to type it backwards. I have no idea why this is the case either. I assume this happens because the Nvidia drivers detect your display to only allow a max of 1280 horizontal, even thought it's 1366? After you've got your 1368x768 you'll need to run the sync options on the TV. Auto Sync first, then see what it looks like. In my case after I run auto sync Im left with shimmering, especially noticeable on white backgrounds. You could get rid of it by doing some fine sync and adjusting the phase but with me everytime I turn off the TV and turn it back on later the syncing problems returns.

10. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    9800pro will do 1366x768 no problem mine dose it

11. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    my radeon x300 at work has a 1360x768 default setting, obviouly cant test it though. oh and its a pci-x card by the way.

12. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    By the way since JL are going to replace my set, Is there any better set for this sort of money at present ??? Toshiba ??

Cheers Jason

13. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Why are JL going to replace your set?

14. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    It has a dead pixel or two right in the centre which if I was just using if for TV would not be an issue. Since I am using it as a PC monitor then once you notice something like this it really bugs you. It is within there 28 day no quibble exchange policy so they have said they will get one in to replace it no problem. I did say that fair enough if it had been 2 years down the line but out of the box I expect the product to be perfect. That said the manual says that a few dead pixels are within product specification (Which in my mind is a way of saying we have not quite perfected the manufacturing process yet). maybe I am expecting too much. That said others on this forum have had there replaced for the same reason.

Cheers Jason

15. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Also just tried setting the Advanced timing as suggested and you are correct it is set to 1280 but every time I change it to 1368 then apply the screen goes blank and I do not get the desktop. I have tried setting the TV to the correct settings before and after change in driver no difference. Any further Ideas???

Cheers Jason

16. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sorry one last thing, when watching TV, via Media Centre I am getting black bars at the top and bottom of the image.any ideas ??? since I can not get 1368 * 768 working i am currently using 1280 * 768. This is fine in Windows and Media Centre menus but as soon as you watch TV I get black bars.

Cheers in advance

Jason