Best GPU for Q6600?

Hi peeps, just wondering what the best GPU is that the Q6600 can wok with without being a bottle neck in modern games?

paulktreg

Not that simple. What resolution is your gaming monitor? The Q6600 is still a capable processor but low monitor resolutions will keep it occupied whilst higher, 1680 x 1050 for example, rely more on the GPU.

@1080p
Im just wondering because I want to ge a GPU [for my younger brother] but theres no point getting the best one I can and it being bottlenecked by the CPU when a lower end model would perform exactly the same.

Atm im thinking a 6950 or 5850. Wont be getting for a while

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
PCplod said:
@1080p
Im just wondering because I want to ge a GPU [for my younger brother] but theres no point getting the best one I can and it being bottlenecked by the CPU when a lower end model would perform exactly the same.

Atm im thinking a 6950 or 5850. Wont be getting for a while

My last PC coped fine with a GTX460. Have you overclocked the CPU as it will go to 3/3.2 very easily providing you have a good cooler?

LJx

a Q6600 is not going to "bottleneck" any graphics card so feel free to get him anything. Very few games are restricted by having a CPU like that

shadowboxer

At stock setting the Q6600 will bottleneck the high end graphics cards but if you can get yourself a cheapish cooler and overclock to 3.0-3.2GHz then it will eliminate the bottleneck.

Depending on budget, I would go for;

£130-140 - HD6870

£150-160 - GTX560Ti - Here + free game.

Circa £200 - 2GB 6950

Thanks guys, He hasnt yet got a Q6600 and is running on an old Pentium D atm [although on a new motherboard with DDR3 RAM] but im looking to upgrade it in a month or 2 to a Q9550/Q6600 and a 6950 [for the 2gb Vram] based of your advice [hopfully the 6950 will have dropped in price by then due to the 7*** series] Thanks

shadowboxer

Should be a fair few 2GB 6950's appearing on the classifieds in the next month or so as people look to upgrade to a 7950/7970. Good time to pick up a bargain. I wouldn't hold your breath for retailers to drop their prices that much.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
You'd need something better than a Q6600 to cope with a GTX580. You are talking i5 to get the best from that.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
At stock setting the Q6600 will bottleneck the high end graphics cards but if you can get yourself a cheapish cooler and overclock to 3.0-3.2GHz then it will eliminate the bottleneck.

Depending on budget, I would go for;

£130-140 - HD6870

£150-160 - GTX560Ti - Here + free game.

Circa £200 - 2GB 6950

Will a stock Q6600 bottleneck a HD6870? If so, can you recommend a cheap cooler for me to add please? :)

Thanks

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
A Q6600 is really easy to overclock. It is one of the best CPUs for this. You can easily get to 3ghz with a decent cheap cooler. Noctua are good for this sort of thing, but anything that isn't a complete piece of crap will be fine.

shadowboxer

Will a stock Q6600 bottleneck a HD6870? If so, can you recommend a cheap cooler for me to add please? :)

Thanks

It'll be marginal I think at stock settings. The best bang for buck cooler is the Gelid Tranquillo for around £25.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom