Best good camera for someone who will mostly point and click

mutamist

Hi all

I've bought so many different cameras over the last few years; from Sony A200 to Panny LX5, to Panny FZ38 to Fuji F72 and now I own a Panny TZ10. I'm pretty happy with it most of the time apart from low light.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably not going to get into the manual settings of cameras, not for now anyway. So what I want is the bets possible image quality with a camera that I will not change many settings for, apart from maybe aperture if it has the ability.

I don't want anything too big and will probably not buy a second lens if it has that option. One of the biggest uses will be on trips to Disneyland Paris where my TZ10 is fine outside, though not awesome when it's overcast. But inside it's not wonderful. Though the high sensitivity mode is better, it drops the resolution of the photo down to 3mp and the extra noise is very noticeable.

The kind of thing I have been looking it is possibly an Oly E-PL1 for £250 or the Canon S95 at around £230. This is the maximum price range I'm really looking at. I realise with the E-PL1 that by point and clicking I'm really not getting the most out of it but will I get noticeably better images? With the S95 it's more pocketable but am I losing image quality to the E-PL1?

Any others I should consider?

Last edited:

godsakes

if it ISO & image quality you want the NEX have the best sensors (should be able to pick up a nex3/5 for £250) but equally they lack a decent standard pancake lens so might not be the most compact. Have a play with one in currys/jessops and see if you could manage the size of one with the 18-55mm kit lens

mutamist

Thanks, I think one that size would be ok, and a better option than the Oly and Canon?

The NEX cameras seem to be way out of my budget, unless I'm not looking in the right place?

Last edited:

godsakes

currys were actually clearing out a few nex2's the other day for £185 odd - keep an eye on the 2nd hand market

there's probably better people to ask regarding comparisons, but one other one to consider is the samsung NX range, their sensors aren't as good as the sonys but they have a nice 30mm pancake lens - I currently have a nx10 with that lens which i got on a clearance deal, afterwards I sold my nex5 as it was a more pocketable combo (but the image quality of the nex was definitely better).

FallOutBoy

The E-PL1 is a brilliant camera for the money and offers great low light performance. Also gives better IQ and depth of field than the Canon S95 would, due to the larger sensor and Interchangeable lenses. The lenses, however, are quite expensive. And it will NOT fit in your pocket, so if that is a big concern, go for the Canon S95, or take a look at the Olympus XZ-1 as well :thumbsup:

mutamist

I don't the size of the E-PL1 with lens, just don't to go up to the DSLR size. I would stick with the kit lens to be honest as there's no way I could afford one of their other lenses.

Would the E-PL1 be better in low light than the S95 as I read somewhere, sorry can't remember where, that the LX5 is better in low light than the E-PL1?

FallOutBoy

I don't the size of the E-PL1 with lens, just don't to go up to the DSLR size. I would stick with the kit lens to be honest as there's no way I could afford one of their other lenses.

Would the E-PL1 be better in low light than the S95 as I read somewhere, sorry can't remember where, that the LX5 is better in low light than the E-PL1?

The LX5, S95, XZ-1 etc have f1.8 or f2 lenses I believe, so are very good in low light. The E-PL1 will give better image quality I think, with the larger sensor, but it's kit lens is more like f3.5-5.6 so won't be as fast to focus or quite as good in low light.

FallOutBoy

I remember when I had my E-PL1 it was slightly slow to focus. The kit lens isn't the fastest example either. So I guess it's not great for low light in this respect either. The compacts mentioned Will probably focus faster so might be better for low light, especially for handheld indoor shots etc, as I found the E-PL1 had to use a slower shutter speed and thus a lot of indoor shots came out blurry.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom