1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Gaming Moment

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Squiffy, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    I was just wondering what other people thought of as their best ever gaming moment?

Amongst many highlights, I have to include the following in mine.

- When I finally beat Lords of Midnight on the C64. The end message might have been a letdown, but the sense of achievement was immense
    - When I loaded up Hexen 2 with my brand new Orchid Righteous 3dfx card - the graphics were just jaw dropping (for the time)
    - The intro to half life. Having read the reviews, my spine was really tingling and the anticipation as Gordon was on the train was just so intense
    - THAT moment in Star Wars KOTOR

So what gaming moments stand out for you?

2. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My best gaming moments?

1 - playing activisions 'Aliens' in a darkened room back in 87 and meeting my first alien head on - jeez, what a fright!

2 - playing my first 'proper' flight sim - Tomahawk on the spectrum - way cool gfx for the time.

3 - mastering the controls on Elite and successfully destroying the thargoids!

4 - getting my very first sound card way back in 92 and playing Wing commander in glorious stereo.

5 - doom happened - my social life disapeared!

6 - playing X Wing for the first time - I had upgraded my rig in anticipation of this game to - 4 meg ram, 40 meg hd and a 386sx40 processor - expensive but money well spent.

7 - getting my very first 3d accelerator and playing Quake gl.

8 - marveling at the intelligent a.i in Half Life - the enemy just don't stand around waiting to be shot.

9 - getting my hands on the scariest, most atmospheric game of all time - System Shock 2 - shodan ruled!

10 - Deus Ex - again, loss of social life, but totally justified!

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    1. Discovering Chaos on the old Speccy

2. Playing Resi Evil for the first time and realizing games can be SCARY!

3. The part on the original Silent Hill where the siren went off and the whole world changed into something from hell!

4. The ending of Ico, the bit after the credits just when you thought all was finished.

5. Beating up a cop (not inciting violance here BTW) for the fist time in GTA3

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Completing "Dragon's Lair" in the arcade with about 20 people sanding around cheering!

Getting to Wave 30 or something beyond that on Star Wars and racking up 30 odd million and taking the number 1 permanent hiscore slot after two years of being stuck at number 3 on 7 million ( coming back from 2 shields left back to the full 6 at around wave20 was also quite satisfying) Again with 20 people crowding round the cockpit and my girlfriend sitting next to me ( I was only 12 at the time)

Becoming Elite!

Becoming deadly in Elite 2 and giving up as nothing else happens!

Completing Warhead was quite satisfying too.

Living Halo for a couple of weeks!

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    these are in no particualar order
    1) getting my ZX Spectrum (**** loads of tapes about) and atari 1600 (why did the cartridges go in backwards) at the ages of 6 :)
    2) as some 1 quoted before playing resi evil when i was 11 ish and finding out games can be scary at night in a dark room!
    3) gettin one of the 1st playstation 2's in liverpool
    4) playing metal gear solid for the first time and being locked in my room for days ! especially at the silly mind reading fella (bastardo wiped some konami stuff of my mem card) who could float and took me days to beat him because of a devious trick
    5) enjoying the delights of the PES series oever a few :beer: especially when it made the jump to the ps2
    6) recently getting a very good computer with a very good graphics card and playing games like Call of Duty, splinter cell pandora tomorrow in all its glory. also just joined the online gaming community about a yr ago.
    7) anything to do with the GTA series, it just dosnt get boring being a badass hehe
    8) Champo baby! how many hours you say ? hehe and the cause of many arguements with the former Mrs BauerCTU :nono:

could go on for ever lol

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Being about 10 years old and playing on 'Elite - First Encounters' on my Amiga 500 non-stop for the next 3 or 4 years.

'Carrier Command' on my Amiga 500 took up considerably similar amounts of my time.

'Stunt Car Racer', again on my Amiga 500!

My dad getting my a PS1 for doing well in my GCSE's! Playing on 'Resident Evil', 'Ridge Racer' and 'Jumping Jack Flash' blew me away! Real 3D games!

There can never be such a leap in gaming graphical quality again!
    IMO the best games ever made, I still play on both on my Amiga emulator.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Buying the arcade machines i used to play so much!

(1) 1987- Commando (Capcom)
    (2) 1988- Ghosts 'N Goblins (Capcom)
    (3) 1997- Outrun (Sega)
    (4) And in 1998 i finnaly got my all time favorite- Super Monaco GP (Sega) The massive sitdown version!!

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Very, very difficult question, but here are my top "moments":

Last week, Halo, Legendary, actually managing to KILL EVERY LAST COVENANT BASTARD (including 8 elites, two tanks and two hunters) on Two Betrayals - the bit where you have to steal a banshee to destroy the last phase/pulse generator. Veterans will know what I'm talking about :)

First time you encounter the Marines in Half-Life. Showed the world the potential and importance of AI routines in the gaming experience.

Being so utterly "in the zone" racing the Piranha craft in Wipeout with Firestarter blaring out at full volume. I stopped being human and became a machine. Awesome!

Final Fantasy 7 - The jaw-dropping CGI, awesome Summon spells and incredible boss fights. A magical, magical world to experience.

Beating your brother for the 10th time in a row in Mario kart battle mode - Red shell up the tail pipe - Yeah Baby!!

Goldeneye - Taking out a guard from miles away with your sniper rifle for the first time. Didn't know what hit him!

SF2 - First time you learn how to punch-dragon punch or punch-hadoken! Sweet.

Eternal Darkness - Too many awesome moments to mention, but I particularly like it when you commit suicide and the game "resets"!

All of Super Probector.

Dishing out Rambo-levels of death in Counter-Strike, especially with the twin pistols!

I think that's enought from me for now.

DT

9. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How about on the first Tomb Raider on PS1, when on level 3, you turn the corner and out of the darkness comes a T-Rex. I nearly messed myself.

Just the size of the damn thing compared to Lara

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Got quite addicted to star wars arcade a few years back. Beating vader in the light saber duel then actually completing an arcade game on one credit was very satisfiying!! :thumbsup:

11. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    getting that first diamond in Mr Do!
    Elite on BBC Micro
    Completing Ghosts N Goblins Arcade

probably more, but can't think of any at moment

12. bobbinboy

bobbinboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me they would have to be:

1. Aliens on PC. I'm still frightened now 2 years later.
    2. RTCW on multiplayer when my mate came into work boasting how he had the most deaths (thinking he had had the most kills).
    3. The original football manager game on the Spectrum whereby you could name the players after yourself. We always put one of the guys in goal and moan at him when he let one in.
    4. Atari 800 whereby the games took 20 minuters to load and then would go wrong after 19 mins. God I used to love that.....

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    "Aliens on PC. I'm still frightened now 2 years later"

Agree with both of you there. Tomb Raider 1 was magical. The T-rex was great, but I also loved it when you run into that giant roman parthenon. The sheer scale of that structure was amazing.

Yes, there were moments in AvP2 where i was frozen with fear. Absolutely terrifying game. Good call.

DT

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  15. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Wow !! someone else remembers Chaos for the old Spectrum!!!! For something that had such plain graphics, it was awesome to play!

.......an illusion or not..... that was always the tricky decision ! :)

Anyone else play it ?

16. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the best for me....

Pulling the rip chord and releasing my 'chute' on pilot wings! : :cool:

:smoke:

:lease: release it for the GC or DS :smashin:

17. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a few recent ones of mine:

Winning a 6 set match on Virtua Tennis 2 (which lasted about 15 minutes of intense play, and I won 6-5 with the last set reaching 6 deuces before I won!)

Killing a room full of demons in Devil May Cry in the most stylish way possible. Without getting hit once.

Prince of Persia - working your way through one of the dozens of intricate puzzles. My personal favourite was the prison! That definitely stands out as the best puzzle I have ever seen

18. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Playing UnderWurlde(Ultimate play the Game) on the Speccy was AWSOME and also seeing Ridge Racer in the arcade and marvelling at the lifelike graphics. Also playing Asteroids on my mates Xmas present, an Atari VCS cartridge machine. We were on it ALL day. Now thats got be very early 80's me thinks. :thumbsup: Other than that I have to agree with the T-Rex in TR1

Matt

19. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

There is an update being made, by Factor 5 (who made Rogue Leader)

But it was held back until the next home console is released (N5/Nintendo Revolution) :mad: . And also with Factor 5 and Nintendo ditching their exclusive contract, I'm not sure if it will still be released or not :censored: :rolleyes:

20. Toothy

Toothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clocking Defender four times in the arcade....with just 10p \0/ .....although the downside was I got banned because the machine only made 10p that day. :D

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Probably getting home with my Jap N64 and slotting SuperMario 64 into the slot, played it for 12 hours solid, went to bed at 5am and was up again at 9am with a flash of inspiration on how to get past the bit I was stuck on.

Closely followed by Super Mario World on the Super Famicom, or walking out of the house in the rain on Zelda:link to the past and hearing the music kick in.

Every moment of ICO, finished it in 2 evenings but, wow! Pure Genius from start to finish :)

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I loved 'Ico'. What a game!

About the only exclusive PS2 game that is the top of it's class.

23. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Agreed, another magical experience that has been criminally over-looked (and to be honest, me included).

DT

24. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Best gaming moment for me has to be playing and finishing Shenmue on the Dreamcast. top game that i've played over and over again. :thumbsup:

25. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

Ok stupidity here, but whats "ico"

26. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    This is ICO i played the demo when the game came out and thought it was very good just never got round to buying it. :rolleyes:

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Great thread and a tricky one at that...

In chronological order i'd say my Best Gaming Moments were:

- The first time I played on my first home computer, the Dragon 32! At the age of 8 in 1982 I was blown away by the fact that I could control images and type words on the TV!! Got some great games with it such as Berzerk, Asteroids and Pac Man - I had become a video game addict!

- Playing Gauntlet, every Saturday in my local video games shop - I can picture it like yesterday! Surrounded by shelves with Atari 800's, Speccies, C64's, Acorn's etc and glass cabinets with the latest games on tape! Loads of people desparately waiting for someone to stop playing a character on Gauntlet so that they could get on!

- Kicking the **** out of my mate on Double Dragon in the arcades - a huge coin eater!

- Playing the full sit down versions of Afterburner, Outrun, and Super Hang On in the arcades. I spent a lot of time and money in the arcades around this time and the machines mentioned above took a lot of that!

- Laser Squad on the Speccy - awesome 2 player tactical strategy game that kept me and my mates playing for years!

- Stunt Car Racer (as mentioned by Games Guru) on two linked up Amiga's playing a mate head to head! Amazingly addictive and like nothing i'd played before - a work of pure genius by Geoff Crammond!

- Mastering Kick Off 2 on the Amiga - an amazing sense of achievement which also allowed me to fully enjoy one of the best ever footie games!

- Carrier Command (again as mentioned by GG) - could again be linked up for two player. This game was superb and was the first games that I can remember that gave the feeling of a real 3D world! A Great Strategy/Action game to boot and really this game kick started 3D polygon simulations!

- Racing around Monaco on Geoff Crammonds F1 Grand Prix on the Amiga - 3D racing sims had arrived and this one was awesome with superb detail and speed for the day.

- Getting my Imported Jap Sega Megadrive (one of the first 10 in York) and marvelling at the near arcade perfection of the games! Games such as Super Hang On, Ghouls & Ghosts, Strider, Afterburner, Outrun, Super Shinobi & Golden Axe all Amazed me and kept me playing & playing in a way 99% of games released today fail to do!

- Playing Mario Kart, Super Tennis, Super Bomberman and Streetfighter 2 on the SNES - all were very playable, highly addictive and had stunning graphics for the day. Multiplayer gaming has never really got any better than this!

- Doom on the PC - amazing simply blew me away!! Superb when linked up for multiplayer as well, fantastic!

- Command & Conquer on the PC, fantastic and unlike anything i'd seen before - again this was superb when linked up for multiplayer!

- Hiring out a Sony Playstation at uni and being totally amazed by the likes of Ridge Racer, Battle Areana Toshinden and the fact that 3D arcade gaming had really arrived!

- Playing Gran Turismo on the Playstation - gobsmaking graphics, loads of cars, the ability to modify and tune up your car and pretty realistic handling made for a quantum leap forward in racing games!

- Goldeneye on the N64 - 4 player gaming and one of the best multiplayer games ever!!

- ISS Pro evolution soccer on the Playstation (and updates up to PES3 on PS2)- this was how football should be on a games console - awesome experience playing this game - the only game that has kept my interest to this day through it's various updates. I have bought every single update and still own 4 of them - A series I will never tire of!

- Counter Strike - PC - My first experience of online gaming! Pre broadband so lag was a factor but I was amazed by the whole experience and after playing this on a mates machine I rushed out to buy a copy of half life and spent the evening downloading CS and all the various patches!

- Playing both real arcade boards, MAME, a PS2, a Dreamcast and a Megadrive on my Jamma arcade cab! Superb, took me straight back to my misspent youth.

I'm sure i've missed a few out perhaps but those are probably my main Best gaming moments. There are not so many these days, I guess there hasn't really been the huge leaps forward in recent years that we saw in the past. The move from 2D to 3D around the Amiga to Playstation time was massive and there were a lot of good moments from this era as there were when video games first surfaced (for me the early 80's I guess).

28. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Seeing as no-one has mentioned the poor-old Neo Geo, I'll put a good word in:

Viewpoint - Oh My GOD!
    Soccer Brawl - OK, not a classic, but at the time it was great (graphically, compared to sensible soccer!)
    any of the Metal Slug series. Each one has hilarious, special moments. Difficult to choose a favourite bit though.

DT

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Although the Neo Geo is an awesome machine still, 15 years after it was released, I can't say that any of the games have made my spine tingle, yeah I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours on Pulstar and weeks of play has gone into Samuri Spirits II and last blade, but I couldn't say they are my best gaming moments, or thinking about it, could I ??

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I agree, best gaming moments are more than just great games. They are times when you thought WoW, this is a major step forward, or this is how gaming is going to go or when something is released that firmly draws a line under the past and starts a new age!

As stated the two main times for me so far have been my introduction to gaming itself and then the move to 3D graphics and "real worlds". Others I would say include first playing genre defining games or experiencing new and exciting arcade cabinets (like the hydraulic ones that first appeared in the mid 80's). Halo and Call of Duty for example may be great examples of FPS games adding some superb new features and containing great AI, but whilst they may include some great features and events, they just didn't have the same impact on me as say Doom or Counterstrike.

Then again I guess great gaming moments are also a very personal thing and for some they could simply be completing a certain game etc.