1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best gaming headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Capello, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Capello

Capello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want some high end headphones that are not TOO much that i need a amp, i was looking at some hd590 or some hd595, any other suggestions

can't be more than 300 USD :)

2. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not heard either of these myself, but if I was in the market for cans in your price range that can run unamped, I'd look to the Beyer Dynamic DT234 (based on the DT231 headphones, but with a mic - good for games) or the Audio Technica ATH-A900s (closed phones, meant to sound very nice; certainly look gorgeous). www.audiocubes.com is a recommended dealer for the Audio Technicas, with worldwide shipping.

For gaming, the most important things are comfort and good stereo separation. On that basis, I'd probably get both these phones; with the mic on the DT234 being so useful for online, and the A900s pulling general duty in other circumstances.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Beyerdynamic DT770's are good for gaming, better than the ATH-A900 at any rate. DT231? Have a pair here... not sure how it is with gaming. Seems OK but the Sennheiser HD650 would be a better version (provided your soundcard can power them properly) if you want high end.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I recommend the 80 ohm version of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. Not much can get near them for gaming, they have it all - positioning, isolation (if you attend LAN parties that might be a godsend) and most importantly, a powerful bassy sound to make things exciting and dramatic. I almost wish I still had a pair for gaming.

5. mid_gen

mid_gen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I recently moved from a pair of Sennheisser HD-570s to some Grado SR-80s. Both open designs so if you're LANning bear that in mind.

Build quality of the Grado's isn't a patch on the Sennheissers, but they don't break, they just have a tendency to disassemble themselves in transportation.

Soundwise, the Grados absolutely stomp the Sennheissers for the money, in all aspects. A few years ago I would have said it's not worth buying decent headphones for gaming, but audio technology has come on leaps and bounds and newer games really shine on the SR-80s.

If you can cope with the Grado's retro looks (I kinda like it), and dont abuse your hardware too much I'd go with them. They sound lovely on an iPod too btw.

6. stoanhart

stoanhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I found this thread from google. I'm looking into buying some headphones, mainly for gaming and music.

In my price range, I've narrowed it down to the Grado Labs SR-80s or the SENNHEISER HD-570's.

Here's where I'm stuck. Every review says teh 80's are far superior for sound quality, but quite uncomfortable.

The 570's are all around awsome, excellent SQ, just not as good as the 80's.

Comfort is important to me. Is it worth the 80s for the extra SQ?

I'd also like to point out that quality IS important to me, but I am by no reach of the imagination an audiophile. My current sound system is a cheapo Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 surround system. Was $150 three years ago when PC 5.1 was just starting. Can be had on ebay now for < $30. This system suffices, but leaves much to be desired. I hope that gets the point across. I can't tell the difference between CD and 128kbps MP3, but that may be more due to my speakers than my ears :)! Quality is good, but I'm not sure I would see much difference between the 80's and the 570's.

I'm leaning towards the 570's right now. There is a great auction on ebay that ends in 6 days. see here

It's a refurb, the guy has several of them, and good feedback. What do you think. Is refurb a bad idea?

Thank in advance! :cool:

7. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    there's lots of debate as to how comfy various grado headphones are over on head-fi.org

but personally i've owned the hd570s for ages now and have just upgraded to some alessandro ms-2s (equivalent to some grado sr325s). the ms-2s arent a patch comfort wise on the 570s but my god do they sound better (and so they should given the price difference!).

i've had my pair of 570s for 4 years now and only recently have they broken (dodgy cable which means that only the left side gets sound anymore) but this is easily replaceable for about £15.

The grados i cant yet comment on regarding their build quality. They seem sturdy to me but ive only had them 2 weeks. Comfort wise my ms-2s have aluminium chambers - making them the heaviest out of all the range (excluding perhaps some of the professional grados eg hp2/ps2 etc).. even heavier than the wooden chambers of the rs1s. I personally do not find them too fatiguing at all despite wearing for long periods and even if i did there are several options to improve comfort such as modded sennheiser pads (hd404 iirc?), todds flat pads (the new craze at head-fi) and also older pads such as vwaps.

I feel the plastic chambers of the sr80s should be fine weightwise.. many people have found bending the headband helps them as well and then u can start looking at replacing the pads.

wrt to your ebay seller dont forget that postage (min of $15 for airmail id say) + custom charges (21% of product value + p&p) might make them less of a bargain

hope that helps make some sense.. tbh i'd be interesting in selling off my 570s, which are in excellent condition.. you'd just need to contact sennheiser regarding purchasing a new cable. let me know if you're interested and i'll stick up a sale thread. however im currently at home and the 570s are at uni so i wouldn't be able to dispatch until around the 7th.

cheers,

Ben

8. stoanhart

stoanhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input.

Another day of browsing the web, and I'm still in the same place.
    I really want the sound quality that everyone claims the grado's (and allesandros) have, and I absolutely love the retro style. However, the more I read about them, the more people I see complaining about how uncomfortable, or even downright painful, they can be. I really can't spend hundreds on headphones and have them hurt! And I can't seem to find any alternatives to the grados except the sennheisers, but everyone says they have too soft a sound for mixed playlists and games.

I'm considering stepping up a price notch. The Sennheiser 580's are what I'm looking at now. Apparantly, there are major differences between the 570s and 580s. So many choices :rolleyes:

9. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    HD580s are a little more difficult to drive. If you want to get the best out of them, you'd probably need a decent amp. They scale quite nicely, which means the more you spend on an amp (up to a certain point) the better they sound. Unfortunately, this also means that if you use no amp at all, you'll possibly be disappointed with the sound.

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Perhaps you should look into these Beyer pads designed by Headphile to fit Grado's:-

http://www.headphile.com/page16.html

11. stoanhart

stoanhart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. I'll keep in mind the pads. I've already gone ahead and ordered the HD-580s, though. We'll see how they turn out. I read a very good review of un-amped 580's on an audigy, which is my situation.

If I don't like it, I'll try building the HeadBanger amp for like $20. It seems to work quite well. There are several prebuilt ones on eBay as well, in fisherman's friend tins and stuff like that!

Also, if all else fails, I can sell theses and get Grado's with the pads.

Thanks Guys! :thumbsup: