best games for the dreamcast?

U

ubik

Played on a dreamcast recently, quite impressed.
Game recommendations welcome please,
quite like racers, arcade games final fantasy stuff.
Ive seen the console on ebay for £20 or so

anephric

cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool toon cool cool tooncool cool toon!!!

I like this game quite a lot.

regards,
anephric

-Spike-

Two that I recommend-

House of the Dead 2, particularly with the light gun
Sega Bass Fishing

:)

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Get Shenmue I & II. They are the best RPG's of all time! Get Daytona, Ferrari Challenge, MSR, Sega Rally. Get Ikaruga, Sega Bass Fishing, Soul Calibur, Soul Reaver, Jet Set Radio, Dead Or Alive 2. Virtua Tennis 1 and 2.Mate there are millions!

Mr_Belowski

Rez. It's absolutely fabulous. Play it after a few drinks or whatever else you like. It's like a good trip :)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Great console!! I bought one on release and traded it in for the inferior PS2 when they ceased producing games for it. Bought another one off ebay the other week though for about 60 quid with something like 15 games and a couple of pads and other bits.

My fave games on it are :-

Shenmue 1 & 2 - both amazing games and as the Games Guru states these are 2 of the best RPG/adventure games on any machine ever!

MSR - great racing game, loads of cars, VERY realistic scenery and great fun!

F355 - classic racing game, superb handling and amazing graphics!

Daytona USA 2001- Better graphics than the coin op and by far the best home version of this legendary racer.

Power Stone 1 & 2 - Great 3D beat em up's by vapcom with some class power ups!.

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 - fantastic coin op conversions of 2 great games!

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 - as above and they are both much better than their PS2 counterparts!

Headhunter - great 3d adventure game in the style of GTA3

Skies of Arcadia - great rpg/adventure game

phantasy star online - superb online RPG!

Soul calibur - better than soul calibur 2 IMO - class game! Played it loads when it first came out and still play it today

House of the Dead 2 - Great light gun game!

Confidential Mission - as above!

HOW DID THIS CONSOLE FAIL!!!!

Iain Shields

Novice Member
Quake III Arena is another excellent game... saying that, it is more of an online game which the Dreamcast did prety well at the time but I'm not sure if you could still go online with it now...

...and it was another game that beat the pants off the PS2 version

Regards,
Iain.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
I have kept my Dreamcast for 2 games.

Virtual Tennis (excellent 4 player) and MSR

There are plenty of other great games but these two ROCK!!!

Oh yeah and give Soul Caliber a go to.

Still plenty of people selling games for this and i know in Japan they still make titles over there for this.

Dal

-Jay-

Banned
Shenmue 1 & 2 - both amazing games and as the Games Guru states these are 2 of the best RPG/adventure games on any machine ever!
Yep another massive vote for these 2 from me aswell :clap:
The best games i've ever played god knows how many times i've been through them now.

Roll on Shenmue 3 :smashin:

hulkhead

superb console - my faves are

MSR ,F355 challenge, Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Virtua Tennis (never played vt2),Headhunter, Soul calibur, Dead or Alive 2, House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, Jet set Radio, sonic adventure 1 and 2, rayman2, 4 wheel thunder, outrigger adn zombie revenge.

JUS

One's not mentioned...

Samba De Amigo for after pub entertainment. :)
Unreal Tournament.

US Tank game. Tanks vs Aliens. Can't remember the name of it great fun though.

This console had far more quality games in the first year/18mths of its life then other consoles had. Big shame.

C

CrystalClear

Street Fighter 3 series, Marvel VS Capcom 1 & 2, Capcom VS SNK 1 & 2.

> HOW DID THIS CONSOLE FAIL!!!!
Here is a good reason.

CMcK

There's a lot of great games for the DC. Try some of these gems.

Samba De Amigo, Rez, Cosmic Smash, Ikaruga, Gigawing, Zero Gunner, Gigawing 2, Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2, F355 (the best driving sim ever), MSR, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Powerstone, Jet Set Radio, Cannon Spike, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2 and Sega Bass Fishing.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Yes. i'm sure piracy was a factor but surely it is with most consoles. OK the DC only needed a boot disc and didn't need modding which helped things, but the discs are harder to reproduce than the standard CD-Rom/DVD discs used by say the playstation 2.

The main reason I feel that the DC failed was due to a lack of trust in the machine by the gaming public, along with the impending release of the PS2. People had the Saturn firmly in their minds and as this looked like a smaller, white Saturn gamers didn't want to get their fingers burnt again. It was also a more hardcare gamers machine and didn't appeal as much to casual gamers as the Playstation brand. I remember at the time when I got my DC on release day, people at work etc (who perhaps had a Playstation and were casual gamers) were willing to wait it out for the already well publisised PS2 release. I get this was probably a familiar story which shows the strength of brand that Sony had created.

C

CrystalClear

Good points. You don't need a bootdisc for most games though. Acquire an image that'll fit on a CD-R(most of the games), burn it, play it. Yeah, dumping an official retail disc is tricky. Dumping a burn disc is easy.

I like what the dreamcast has shown me so far with CPS3 and Naomi arcade hardware accuracy(I got my first dreamcast like, a few months ago, heh).

E

Erpland

I'll put some votes in for:

Half Life
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Rayman 2
Daytona 2001
Ferrari F355
Rez
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
Crazy Taxi
Chu Chu Rocket

It failed because sony lied and idiots like me waited :mad:

E

Erpland

Originally posted by JUS
Half life? I know there was talk about it being remade but it never got released, did it?
No it was never officially released but it was developed, and leaked last year, and spot on it is too:cool:
Rumour has it that good old sony paid Valve *not* to release it for the DC, and it's also rumoured to be better done than the PS2 version.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I had Rez on the PS2, class game!!

The DC is just simply a famtastic machine though. I don't think Sega could have beaten Sony, no matter what console they produced. It's powerful, has great graphics & sound, it's small and has a top loading drive! I hate tray loaders, it feels much more like a proper (slap your game in and play) games console with a flip top disc drive. The only things that let it down a little IMO are Joypads (they're ok but not up to Dualshock 2 quality) and the fact that it's bloody noisy when loading discs! Other than that it's the ideal games machine!