1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Gamecube cables in the whole world

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Erpland, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quality freaks should be using a component cable with US games and freeloader on a progressive scan TV or monitor, that's the best you're going to get.

The component cable itself is a top quality piece, but it seems your'e after a scart rgb cable, in which case the best option I think at the moment is the Nintendo one.

2. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a PAL GC you have? If it is then theres only one cable to get and its the official RGB scart cable. It'll give you superb quality. Don't bother with any s-video cables on the PAL GC as they simply won't work.

If its a NTSC GC you have then its a different story. If you want RGB quality then you'll have to get on of those expensive modded RGB scart cables like the one I'm using now. You could always use S-Video for that too since the quality is still quite good, although you will get the "cross-hatching" effect in games sometimes.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just upgraded my 'Game' branded one, which I though was OK with the official Nintendo one. IT IS SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER.
    Now I look at the unofficial one and think that is not much improvement over composite.
    I found this cable in Dixons bargain bin for 1.56!
    Azzo

4. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently using extremely rubbish Gamester scart cable on my Gamecube. Just upgraded my TV and noticing bad jaggy lines on areas of solid colour - especially reds, blues and greens. Experimented on my XBOX - switched my nice SVHS cable (smooth clear picture) to the bundled composite and the same thing occured.

Massive burst of genius has lead me to the conclusion that I need better cables for my Gamecube. Has anybody got any recommendations? I've found some nice IXOS ones for the PS2 and XBOX but nothing for the Gamecube.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you do a search it looks like the ONLY RGB cable to
    get for the GameCube is the official one.
    This doesn't have break out connectors for the audio and
    is not gold plated. But it has the best picture.

I have looked long and hard and nobody makes ixos or monster
    equivilants.
    Azzo.

6. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

consensus here and elsewhere seems to be that the official rgb cable is the best picture wise. Currently I'm using a Game cable (gold connector, and audio leads), and I noticed a significant improvement in picture quality even with that - I'm salivating at what the official one would look like.........:)

Anyway, at the mo I'm looking into purchasing a surround sound system for dvds and the cube, and while connecting the cube to one would be straight forward with my eixsting game cable, what would be the best option for feeding cube audio into an A/V receiver when using an official rgb cable? My TV has the usual A/V inputs for audio, composite, and svideo, and two scarts, one rgb enabled, and the other with a switch for selecting svideo in / out. Would some sort of scart to two phono's from there do it??

Cheers in advance (and if this is too off topic, apologies - I'll post separately)

Bas

7. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just some information, the gold connectors dont make any difference short term, in the long term the surface will not deteriorate as with cheaper connectors so it would be relevant to compare, not that I've had any non gold scart leads go bad in over ten years.

8. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bascombe
    Getting sound out of the offical cable is a problem,
    you may have a phono out of you TV.
    If not, anybody any ideas?
    Azzo.

9. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally managed to find official Nintendo RGB cables - absolutely gobsmacked by the difference in quality. Astonishingly clear and crisp graphics - Zelda looks completely stunning, just like it should.

Bascombe - I've got the phono out of my tv connected to my amp. The surround effects in Rogue Leader work perfectly with this setup, so if your TV has got those connectors I'd recommend using that setup.

If your Tv has headphone sockets you could get a headphone jack to two phono connectors and run this into the back of the amp - the Cambridge Audio Atlantic cable would do the trick.

10. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for pointing me in the right direction - in truth, I hadnt even looked to see if my tv had any phono out sockets -doh! Turns out it has, but on the tv layout, and in the manual they seem to be associated with the av2 channel - the av1 is the only one with rgb in. Not sure whether plugging the phonos into an amp will mean all sound is channeled there, or just sound on the av2 channel. The headphones to phono idea is an option. Ah well, roll on the acquisition of that amp!

Cheers

Bascombe