Best future proof features?

GordonCopestake

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
My current TV is an old CRT over a decade old, it works well and has everything I need apart from HD.

I'm looking for a replacement that will last me another decade so want to get my feature set right!

Which features (other than the obvious 1080p) would you say would be the best to look for when buying a new TV?

I wont go so far as saying money is no object, but I dont mind paying a little more now if the TV will last me longer. I dont want to shell out £400 on a hanspree that i will need to change in a few years when a £1000 sony will last a decade if you get what I mean.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

I am looking for a tv, so am looking for these features in whichever TV I buy:

* As many HDMI slots as possible
* HDMI 1.3 support
* 100Hz

A bonus would be:

* picture in picture
* DVI support

Thanks nirajbpatel

On my "Future Proof" list I have:
  • 1080p
  • 100Hz
  • HDMI 1.3
  • High Contrast >10000:1?
  • Fast Refresh <10ms
Any more?

I keep reading about this "24p" thing but I'm not exactly sure what it does? A lot of people have that high on their list though.

Don't use a flawed method, cos in this day and age, there no such thing as future proof.

Just stick with quality brands (e.g. high-end Philips, Sony, Panasonic etc...).

I keep reading about this "24p" thing but I'm not exactly sure what it does? A lot of people have that high on their list though.

24p is only becomes a factor when viewing HD movies

Generally, movies are recorded in 24fps and mastered in 23.94/97fps. If you have a 24p enabled display and a player, then you can view movies without any judder. Just like viewing PAL DVDs @ 50Hz.

However, if you don’t have 24p compatible display and player, you'll have to settle for 60p. In other words, 24fps is converted to 60fps by repeating the first frame twice and the second three times. This is called 2:3 pull-down, which can create uneven juddery motion (especially during panning scenes).

Thanks for clearing that up. So basically if you want to play Blu-ray films at the best picture quality this will be needed.

I have herd that if you have the 24p then teh 100Hz isn't essential is this only the case for movies then and does it also work the other way around?

(sorry Gordon, I'm slightly hijacking your thread!)

120Hz TV simply repeat the frame 5 times (5:5 pull-down). This will provide smooth motion without any judder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom