1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best full speaker set recommendation for Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andrathion, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if (bits and pieces) of this question have been asked before.

But I'm very seriously considering buying the Denon 3805 (or perhaps 3806, if it comes along quickly) and was wondering what your recommendations would be with regard to a full (at least 5.1, preferably 7.1) speaker set? Preferably from a single manufacturer (i.e. a matching set)?

My budget for the speakers would be around GBP 1,000 (max). A prerequisite would be excellent audio quality (with regard to the two front speakers most of all, since I'd be using this setup for audio CD's, too).

Oh, and I would actually prefer floorstands as opposed to those little bookshelf thingies :).

I've been trying to do a little research (online and in shops) and am starting to find myself a little confused...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alot will be down to what you like when listening to them. I tried the raved about Kef Eggs and didn't like them but loved the Monitor Audio Radius series (in preference). They now have the tall, slim fronts as well. The new Bronze are worth an audition as well.

Creative Audio often do package deals although not necessarily with MA kit.
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/hotdeals_home.htm

3. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mission m cubes????

4. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re reading then maybe not if it's also for playing audio CD's too. If you read the reviews However, at the demo I tok a few CD's along to the shop and thought the cubes handled my dub reggae and electronic stuff very well.

5. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the suggestions! The Monitor Audio Bronze series certainly looks interesting; that's basically the sort of set I'm looking for, and, I understand, more or less within my budget.

I'm jotting it down on a short list of sets I'll want to try out at a nearby shop.

If you have any more ideas along similar lines, I'd be grateful!

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Personally, I'd look at gettin a seperate speaker package and then a subwoofer. Most subwoofers shipped with speaker packages aren't very good. Maybe not as asthetically pleasing but you'll get a much better sound with a seperate sub. Maybe something like the Mission M3i Series or the Acoustic Energy Evo 3B with an SVS PB10-ISD or Velodyne CHT-12R. Just my tupence worth.....

7. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, that thought had crossed my mind. And I guess I could live with the aesthetics thing... Though I think I'd prefer it if the front and rear speakers matched (which is basically what you're saying anyway :) ).

I'm also looking at the following speakers:

- the JBL Northbridge series;
    - the (cheaper!) Dali Concepts (say 2 x Concept 8, 2 x Concept 2, Sub SWA8);
    - possibly (but probably way too expensive) Elac ('cept for the 50 and perhaps 100 series).

Any thoughts on these?

I did run into the Acoustic Energy Evos, but had frankly forgotten about 'em.

8. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A couple of months ago, I bought the 5 speaker set of Acoustic Energy speakers (Evo 3 fronts, evo 1 surrounds and an Evo centre).

The whole lot came in at little over £500 from Sevenoaks in Sheffield.

Not sure how well they compare with the others on your list as I haven't a/b'd them. The wood finish isn't over convincing, but I guess that's not terribly uncommon at this end of the market.

I bought an SVS sub to go with, and have very nice performance to my ears.

What I will say is that many shops seem happy to discount the Evo speakers quite heavily. I supose they are yesterday's news. But I think they do a very good job, especially considering the pricetag if you shop around. You have to weigh up the fact that it gives you extra cash to throw at a sub.

I need a new receiver before I can fully comment though :)

Gary

9. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gary, thanks. As I said before, I'd sort of forgotten about the good old Evos... Due to the responses here, though, I am certainly having second thoughts.

GBP 500 is, it seems to be, rather an astonishing bargain for this sort of set! Thing is, though, I happen to live in The Netherlands, and as far as I've been able to make out, even if you could find the set over here, the price will be more like GBP 1000 or over!!

Would any of you know of any good UK shops that sell this set - and ship to other EU countries?

P.S. I tried logging in to the Sevenoaks website at:
    http://www.sevenoakshifi.co.uk/
    ... but that didn't work. Is there a new address?

10. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They are forum advertisers, have been around for quite a while and seem to be reputable. I have bought from them before.

12. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    i bought my Monitor Audio B4 AV set from them (sub a little lacking), very professional and efficient.

13. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I recommend QUAD L series or AE Elite series as a great match for the 3805.

14. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I sent them an e-mail asking for some further information yesterday, and am awaiting a reply. Nothing yet, but we'll see.

I did get a quote from a local company on the Monitor Audio Bronze series. Their price is Euro 1,680 for the full set (with 2 Bronze 6 front speakers, 2 Bronze 2 rears, and including the ASW 100 subwoofer). That's about GBP 1,150.

In comparison, the Aegis Evo set (at, say, GBP 750 to 800) seems to be a very good bargain, no?

15. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks - but both would be a bit too much above my GBP 1,000 target :( .

16. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Above :confused: 12L+11L+Lcenter or Elite2+Elite1+Center :confused:

Anyway I recommend not mettalic tweeters with the 3805 for better resusts...

17. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you like the Bronze idea, this chap has some on ebay for sale

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZl2yanQ5fl2

fronts and SFX, cheap as chips on a 'buy it now' and you could then splash out on a decent sub.

In fact, with a £1000 budget and some ebay prices you could no doubt get a set of Silvers. I have seen that Sevenoaks have some ex-dem SFX for £199 too. www.ssav.com

18. magrillz

magrillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Denon 3805 (still waiting for it so they have loaned me a 3803) and I went for the B&W 603's up front, LCR60 centre and 600's at the rear. I am really pleased with them. I did like the Quads and I am sure many would say it would have been the better choice but both myself and the girlfriend took to the B&W setup. Found them really easy to listen to with any type of music. Without a sub a grand would cover all the above. in fact you would get them cheaper than that I would have thought.

Cheers

Mat

19. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  20. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, Mat - I've added them to my list. [Edit: Oh, wait - darn it, forgot a sub in the configuration, and that does change the price thing...]

Just right now, I'm still leaning towards the AE Evo Aegis set, - just wish I could find a seller over here who's offering anything like the UK prices! Oh, and no response from HiFiBitZ to my e-mail yet either :( ... Ah, well.

21. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The Bronze you mention should do fine - what i would suggest is getting the B4s for fronts, the Bronze centre, and if you have walls on each side of your listening position get the BFX. BUT ditch the bronze sub (not a bad sub but nothing special). I've not heard the BK XLS200, but a lot of forum members hold it in high regard.

All this should cost: GBP 900

22. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Is there a reason for this? Does it sound bright?

23. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay: Aegis Evo -- or perhaps the Bronze... :) Well, as far as the preliminary list is concerned, at least :)

The BK could be hard to get over here in Holland (though I've yet to check) - but it seems you can readily order it from their site for GBP 279. Perhaps wrongly, I have some reservations ordering online from a UK retailer, but less when ordering directly from the manufacturer. So that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Of course, if I were to go with a seperate sub, the following come into view again:

24. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  25. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I demoed the Monitor Audio Bronzes, Quad 11L's/12L's & Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's with the 3805. In order of preference I liked most:

1. Quad 11L's
    2. Quad 12L's (A bit boomy if too close to wall)/Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's
    3. Monitor Audio Bronze.

The Monitor Audios I found to be too pronounced in the middle frequency range.
    The quad 11L's were the best, but If I couldn't have had the 11L's I would have been more than happy with the Wharfedales. I think they go well with the 3805 & sounded good with all types of music which I demoed, i.e. rock, dance, Norah Jones. Demo them against the Monitor Audios, I think they are much better. They cost:

£179.90 Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's
    £149.90 Diamond 9CS centre speaker
    £149.90 Diamond 9DFS bipolar surrounds

I have the bipolar surrounds mounted 32" above ear level on my back wall
    (sofa is against back wall also) & the effect you get is excellent with both music surround like SACD, as well as with movies.

Something like the above would leave you about £400 for a sub. The BKXLS200 is well rated on the sub forums (costs about £280) or Rel's ST range are very good for music, you can probably get a 2nd hand Strata 5 for
    about £450 possibly. Stampede is good also, but lacks power a bit.

Many will have different preferences, but make sure you demo.

T.

26. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, Timbo.

Which Audio Bronze speakers did you demo? The Quads you went for aren't floorstanders, so might you be talking about the Bronze 1 or 2? For what it's worth, the set up I was thinking of would consist of the Bronze 4 (or possibly the 6) as front speakers.

27. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Ah yes, my mistake. It was the Bronze B2's I listened to. It might be interesting
    to compare bookshelf + good sub between the B4/B6 package.

I guess you have a reasonably sized listening area & can accomodate a good amount of space around the floorstanders. I initially wanted floorstanders, but
    they just wouldn't have sounded any good in my 4m X 2.5m listening area.

28. Andrathion

Andrathion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thankfully, I have the space (about 5m x 8m) - it's filling it which I find a little tricky - and expensive :D. Hmm, perhaps I should have mentioned that earlier...

29. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Those B6's look pretty nice. I see you can get the B2's as rears instead of the BFX. This could be good if you're planning on listening to a lot of surround music
    & have the space to accomodate them on stands.

30. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Those B6's look pretty nice. I see you can get the B2's as rears instead of the BFX. This could be good if you're planning on listening to a lot of surround music
    & have the space to accomodate them on stands. It would also fill your room better. However, the BFX can be wired as dipolars or bipolars if that's the kind of effect you are after.

I wonder how much the sub would really add to the floorstanders, since it's not that great. If you wanted to add a better sub later I'm sure the floorstanders
    would give you enough bass to get on with & you could save money ditching the
    sub.