1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Freeview PQ under £2k?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blueshard, May 28, 2005.

1. blueshard

Novice Member

May 28, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Please help a newbie!

My viewing is 90% Freeview (PACE Twin) and 10% DVD, and I'm looking for a 42" plasma to replace my old CRT. So I really need to know which is the best combination of Freeview PQ and value for money on a budget of £2k. No chance of me ever getting Sky, so Sky HD is irrelevant.

Not having skin tone artefacts is a key element of PQ for me - ideally I'd like skin tone and definition to be comparable with my old CRT. I know the source signal quality might make that difficult, but I'd certainly pay extra to achieve it.

I also wonder whether a screen that is rated as having good Freeview PQ through its own inbuilt Freeview tuner will produce the same PQ when fed from an external source i.e. my Pace Twin? In other words, is the good PQ down to the signal processing in the tuner (bad for me) or to the scaling algorithm the screen would use for all SD feeds (good for me).

Having read through a lot of posts on this forum in past weeks I reckon Panny PWD7, PE50 and PV500 may all be suggested, and I guess the PWD7 and PV500 are the main contenders in my mind at the moment. But I'd really like to know how they'd compare against each other. And I'm definitely still open to suggestions for other brands too!

All advice greatly appreciated.