Best Freeview HD + with DLNA etc

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by inmcdonalds, Jan 13, 2018.

1. inmcdonalds

inmcdonalds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My Humax HDR T2 is needing replaced, after a long period of excellent service. There`s some kind of fault with it whereby it keeps introducing interference into the signal, or at least that`s what my trial and error (and numerous attempts to retune to different transmitters) has led me to believe.

I`d liked the T2 - I had installed the custom firmware, and liked being able to transfer movies onto a NAS that could then be watched elsewhere in the house...

Anyway, I`m researching a replacment. The Humax FVP 5000t gets rated highly and looks good but...
    ...from trying to read through the threads on here I am led to believe that you cannot transfer movie files over the network to a NAS because they are un-decryptable. Also, It isn`t clear to me whether you can stream from the Humax FVP 5000t to other network attached devices - one post I read suggested you might be able to. I also understand there is no custom firmware as yet for this product given it is fairly new.

Can anyone say with confidence what the Humax FVP 5000t is capable of in this regard?

And if it isn`t capable, can anyone suggest a good alternative? For the record, I don`t want to use free sat for various reasons. Nor cable. I want to stick to freeview.

Cheers

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,049
    You can export to usb and stream SD live and recorded content. HD is playable only by the box that recorded it. No chance of custom firmware as the recording partition is itself encrypted, Thought to be LUKS.

Linux Unified Key Setup - Wikipedia

Other than a PC based setup or enigma 2 based box best choice would be a good used HDR-FOX-T2.

Enigma2 - Overview of Enigma 2 on Linux Based Receivers

You will find the FVP-5000T a bit slow compared to your HDR-FOX-T2. Though the ability to record up to 4 at once is handy,

3. inmcdonalds

inmcdonalds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply. So just to be clear...

SD recordings on the box can ...

a) be exported to USB drive and then used however the hell I want ie they are not encrypted once exported.
    b) also streamed directly from the Humax 5000t to other media players around the house.

HD recordings can only be watched on the Humax 5000t that they were recorded on.

I might look into the second hand option for the T2 as I hadn`t really considered that. I don`t really need all the iplayer/netflix functionality of the 5000t as my samsung tv does that well already. Also, there is never enough good stuff on tv that I`ve ever needed to record 4 channels at once. I just want to be able to flexibly use the good stuff I do occasionally record.

4. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    Or fix his old one?
    What type of interference? Onto what signal? Possibly HDMI lead breakthrough onto aerial lead etc?

5. inmcdonalds

inmcdonalds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The interference just seems to pop up intermittently, usually on the HD channels ie BBC HD, and when it does occur on those channels, other channels seem to be unaffected. So it`s intermittent, doesn`t affect all channels when it does occur, and when I take out the humax box from the setup and plug the aerial feed directly into my tv, there are no issues.

IF it was interference from the HDMI lead onto the aerial lead, I`m assuming it would be present all the time, and would also affect all channels.
    To be honest I`m scratching my head about it, and the humax box is getting the blame unfortunately.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,049
    Correct. But see TJT1's post. Try removing the HDMI and connect by RGB scart. If that removes the interference. Replace your coax interconnects with ones made from sat grade coax WF100/PF100 (Screwfix sell PF100). Use f connectors and screw on Belling Lee converters (screwfix sell these as well). Seperate the hdmi and coax interconnects.

Ignore the grease (not needed indoors)

How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable for Sky and Freesat

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,049
    Incorrect the frequency a HDMI cable radiates changes with the content and frequently only affects one or two mux depending on which UHF channel your transmitter uses.

The DVB-T2 mux also use a forward error correction setting that increases the mux capacity but makes the signal less robust and vulnerable to external interference. Double screened sat grade cables should avoid the problem.

8. inmcdonalds

inmcdonalds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had no idea. Maybe my t2 is saveable. I’m off to screwfix. The internet is a wonderful thing. Thanks all.

9. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    +1 for checking cables and connections first.

Check the signal level and quality readings of all multiplexes on the -T2. (Post the results). What transmitter is being watched and/or where (approximately) do you stay? (=live for the sassenachs ;) ). This may also give a clue as to the symptoms described?

Precise HD channels may also be relevant as some BBC HD services are on a different multiplex to BBC ONE HD (Scotland) unless all are affected.

10. inmcdonalds

inmcdonalds
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ll try the cable fix before further investigation. Out of interest - why use the belling lee converters? Why not when I’m making my cables, just use a coax plug for things like connections to the humax?

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,049
    Because Belling Lee connectors really require soldering and are difficult to fit to double screened cables. F connectors are much easier to fit and the adaptors are better quality than the cheap plugs. They fit more securely in the sockets. Most quality terrestrial kit like aerials, amplifiers and splitters now use f connectors.