Best Freeview Box???

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by withjet, Nov 21, 2005.

1. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any opinions on which would be a good choice of freeview box. Don't watch too much sky TV (so cancelled it) but would like a few more channels than terrestrial TV offers.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Snezana

2. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't have any brands or models, but one thing you should look for is the means to create your own channel lists, that way you can ignore all the naff channels and just cycle through your own selection, and separate the radio stations, etc.

I hear the Sony is a good one, but I don't know if it has the above facility.

3. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a decent Freeview Box as well if any one can recommend a model?

Cheers.

4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    The Sony VTXD800 box is very good. You can remove channels from the line-up, create lists of favourites, or even just reorder the channels into any order you like. Picture quality is great and the EPG is fast and responsive. The only minor complaint is the lack of a card-slot for pay services, but this won't trouble most people.

The Sony may be comparatively expensive, but it's worth it. Cheap digiboxes are just that, and they're pretty shoddy in my experience. My folks just got some Alba one for £30 and it's terrible; the audio drops out, the remote is horribly unresponsive and it locks up frequently.

5. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Will check out the Sony. :thumbsup:

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also worth checking out the Netgem iPlayer. Does component out via scart. Unbeatable picture in my experience, even shades the Sony. Some people hate it (mostly because of software issues with the internet capability) but if all you want to do is watch Freeview through it, definitely worth looking at.

7. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd echo the two mentioned as decent units, mainly cos I have both. I've had four in total, still have three, the other being a cheap Sagem unit which in terms of just watching channels is ace too but no epg apart from now and next. So that would be my priority, so you can see what's on and plan your viewing night (and beyond if you want).

My Sony has a convertor to component and of course the iplayer has component out as standard, which if you have LCD or plasma TV's, is about as good as it gets for now in my opinion, off air.

If I had to choose between the sony and iplayer, it would be the sony because everything (from the epg to the remote) works so well. My iplayer has what is to me, a quite quirky remote and the interface isn't so straightforward. Both are around £80-£90 I beleive at the mo. Well worth the extra over a cheapie. Then again, I'd rather have a cheapie than the handful of analogue channels.

Jon.

8. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I will vouch for the Sony, very good picture quality, customisable channel numbers and fast EPG response.

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    same here-excellent box & worth the ££!!

10. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Just bought the sagem ITD58 from argos for £27.99 to use in the bedroom. PQ is fantastic and remote layout is excellent, its so easy to use. Infact its so good that I am getting the ITD64 now for the lounge as the 58 lacks 7day epg and twin scart, which isnt a problem in the bedroom but would be in the lounge.