1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best freeview box?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by LDJ, Sep 6, 2004.

1. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Right, i've had enough of my god damn awful panasonic freeview box. constantly crashing, rubbish EPG, ridiculously slow for all interactive services, teletext only working half time.......the list goes on!
    I'm on the lookout for a new freeview box.

What is the best one available at the moment? Don't want a hard drive recorder or anything like that, just a simple freeview box.

TIA

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  3. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony VTX is a star - more expensive than the others but worth the money IMHO. Cheaper but also very good is the Pioneer. Both are very quick at changing Channels and picture quality is superb but the Sony just edges it.

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    THe Pioneer is great and i'm juts ordering the Sony as i need twin digital tuners.The only downside on the Pinoneer is the remote-bit cheap,the Sony's is very nice though :)

5. bigtank

bigtank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the sony is awesome :clap:

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What about the new Hauppage DEC-1100-t? Its meant to be the smallest freeview box ever...........but is it any good?

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer is said to be excellent and you can add a CAM for Top-Up TV, should you ever feel the need.

I think the Nokia 221T is great (but many would disagree because it doesn't seem to tolerate sub-standard aerial systems).

8. psenior

psenior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have added a Sony to my Goodmans GDB2. The Goodmans to be fair is excellent in terms of both the quality of signal received and the features. At present it has now and next programme guides but Goodmans are in the process of beta testing the software to work the 7 day EPG. It is easy to use and reliable, though I found the remote a bit on the big and clumpy side. The box is good value for money and Richer Sounds have it for just short of £50.

If you have the extra, the Sony has more function. It also produces a quality picture and signal on my 32" Panasonic telly.

Unusually, it separates TV channels from radio, and you have to press a button to move between the two. It is easy to set up, though mune found many of the channels twice (once from Winter Hill and the other from Storeton). It correctly selected the more powerful transmissions from Winter Hill to allocate to channels 1 to 95 and put all the others in the range over 800.

Provided you get a recent box (check with the supplier) you should have it with the latest software (1.0.11) which already has the seven day EPG installed.

The thing I really like about this box (and the main reason I bought it) is that it has the Smartlink function, and is AFAIK the only freeview box with this.

This means it can do a few clever things with other devices which also have Smartlink (aka Q-link and a few other neames, depending on manufacturer. For example, it switches on my telly whenever I switch the box on, using Smartlink. The best thing feature is that if you have a video recorder, or like me a hard disk/DVD recorder with Smartlink/Q-link, you can select programs simply from the 7 day EPG to record, the same way as with Sky Digital. The box then sends a signal to your recorder at the appropriate time. It then turns itself on an records the programme, and switched off again afterwards.

This one costs £99 in the shops, I found the cheapest at amazon.co.uk for £82 delivered. I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday.

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Dixons 10% off freeview boxes, enter code FREEVIEW10.

10. JayP

JayP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any freeview box with a DVI output?. I am thinking of buying a TV with a DVI input and would like to maintain the digital chain.

TIA

JayP

11. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find one let me know - freeeview thru DVI is what I want for my plasma.

12. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Long time since I posted due to restrictions at work on this site and my Inet at home going. Anyway, I have the Nokia 221T and it is great. It is attached to a very old aerial which isn't brilliant. The signal strength is not good, but the picture is excellent on my Sony 36" crt. Would thouroghly recommend it. Have been thinking of getting another for another room.

Oh and the latest Nokia software has been updated to better cope with fluctuations in the signal. Look for SW v 1.1.5

13. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Can you tell me what you mean by adding a cam for top-up Tv, I have the Pioneer Freeview box and was thinking of changing it for one that can have the top-up tv added.
    cheers
    Jonah

14. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi DJM
    the software update you mention, I ran an update last week and my 221 didn't find any new updates, can you help. :thumbsup:
    Paul

15. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just Bought a Thompson DTI2300 for £79.99 from Argos for my old 28" CTR and it has rejuvinated it.

16. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Hao
    Did you have the 221

Paul

17. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,
    No this is my first Freeview box other than the one incorporated in my plasma. I presume you are refering to the Nokia.

18. Munchkinn

Munchkinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humax F2-FOX T gets good reviews... :smashin:

19. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't think there is a recent update. That software version V1.1.5 I quoted was December 2003. If you look at the Nokia web site you can see the latest version and download it.

I think Nokia have stoped development and will just let it slip into oblivion. It has been at the top for some time without updates, and when it slips, I think they will either let it die or replace with a fancy new model. Real shame and poor after sales service.

Ps sorry it took so long to reply, but have difficulty accessing these forums now.