Best freeview box - Sony, Pioneer or Pace?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by BigAde, Nov 24, 2003.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I currently own a Thomson DTI1000 box which had its fair share of problems in the early days, but must confess with the most recent software updates has become a very good box indeed. Nothing wrong with it at all (other than slightly slow response), but have promised to hand it over as a present to the inlaws... so am now able to start anew and buy the latest technology.

So, question is, which box is deemed to be the best these days, assuming money is no problem. From reading other threads it seems to be down to a contest between the new Pioneer, Sony and Pace boxes (any others?)... or would I be better to get another DTI1000?
    All these seem to have similar specs so not sure how to choose between them. Any advice appreciated.
    :)

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Any of those three will be pretty good

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll pay through the nose for the sony name for no benefits. Go with either the pioneer or pace both can be bought online for less than £80, I own a pace but have seen a pioneer running and was very stable.

4. bigtank

bigtank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi
    i have had the sony for awhile now and it is awesome
    superfast.
    its worth the wee bit extra

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Second that - the Sony is a mega box - ONLY downside (and only area where it is bettered) is the lack of provision of RGB/ S-Video on both Scarts.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Another vote for the sony,

lightning fast and excellent picture,

A bargain at £104.99 with free delivery from Amazon.

Mark.

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....and another thing !.......pick up the three remotes (Pioneer, Pace and Sony)...I know which one you'll choose!......the Sony.......it has a proper, quality remote....worth the small price difference on it's own.

8. bigtank

bigtank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes great sony remote and you can control the major fuctions of your tv with it

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the advice guys... couldn't find the Pioneer in stock at a sensible price and sadly don't live anywhere near a Richer Sounds. So decided on the Sony in the end - £103.99 from unbeatable.co.uk and picked it up the same day.

I've only tried it for about an hour, but thought I ought to post my first thoughts of it...

Setup was quick, easy and intuitive...

Picture quality is very good - better than my old Thomson DTI1000, but not by miles as the hype might suggest.

Sound quality through TV speaker seemed identical, but not had a chance to hook it up to a hi-fi amp yet for a real test. (Anyone know what type of optical cable it takes, manual doesn't say - looks like a weird connector on the back).

Operation is quick and easy. OSD menu structure is excellent.
    Channel changing is very fast - certainly well ahead of the Thomson box, but not exactly 'instant' either - possibly the Pioneer is better in this respect???

Digital text seemed faster than the Thomson, but then it still seems slow compared to analogue teletext.

Oh yes, and the remote is excellent - not that I'll be using it - will program it all into the Marantz RC2000 MkII.

All in all, I'm very impressed with it - 9/10 (Thomson would get 8/10) - but I'm sure there's still room for improvement there somewhere!