Best freeview box and Airel

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by EAZYROG, Jan 11, 2006.

1. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi woundering if anyone can help.

I'm looking to buy a freeview box and arial and wanted to know whats generally the best one to buy.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    The Sony model (I don't know the model no) is one of the best performing Freeview receivers by all accounts.
    As for an aerial, :D there is nothing to beat a good quality roof-mounted wideband type for stable reception.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    VTX-D800U - not too catchy but I've read it that many times!!!! Bought one for youngest brother for xmas, cracking bit of kit.

4. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I will vouch for the Sony Freeview Box.

The PQ is excellent (but i do have near perfect reception) and on my old but trusty 28" Sony CRT, the pic is the best I have ever seen.

Buy one now haha!

5. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've off this evening to get one.

However i do have a question.

How do i tell if my arial signal in my tv room is any good, i currently have a loft arial and think i will need to replace it for a freeview arial.

What i'm trying to say is my current TV recepection is really pooor, hence the reason for the freeview box, however when i install this new freeview arial how do i know the quality will be better than my standard tv.

Thanks

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If your current TV reception is bad then you probably will not be able to receive freeview at all on that particular aerial. You need good TV reception on all the analogue channels FIRST to be able to receive the digital channels. Sort that out first with a new outside aerial - then try a freeview STB.

7. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The freeview box has a menu option telling you the strength of your signal - job done! - good luck with it buddy.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    I have to disagree with that as it is not the case for me. My aerial is in the loft and my analogue reception is just about unwatchable, but I get very good reception with Freeview. Analogue and Freeview reception are not directly related to each other.
    The only way to find out if you can get good Freeview reception is to plug a STB in and try it out.

Mark.

ps, I also recommend the VTX-D800U :thumbsup:

9. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I have to disagree too. My analogue comes from a loft aerial and is what I'd call poor in comparison with the roof-mounted aerial feed. However, the Freeview box picture is fine, no blotches, drop-outs or anything.

If you've decided you want a freeview box then I'd say get one, try it, and if you don't get any joy with it, sort the aerial out at that point. Otherwise you might just waste your money on an overspecced aerial. I also have the VTX-D800U - which is in my cinema room and a fantastic piece of kit - but the one hanging off the loft aerial is an Alba STB2?-something (!) as it's in a spare bedroom.

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    As a general rule of thumb, if you get a poor analogue TV signal from an indoor aerial, you don't stand much of a chance with digital. Entering your postcode into Wolfbane's coverage predictor gives you an aerial recommendation that can help to give an idea of the effectiveness of an indoor aerial.

The above is a quote from a paragraph on this website :

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/reception.html

11. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys, great stuff.

Looks like its between the Sony and a Netgem I-Player, i started looking at the iplayer as its got Internet too, and a number of other bit.

Has anyone here ever used or heard of it, here's the link

http://www.iplayer.co.uk/index1.asp

Digital Home mag June 05 issue 26 give's it full stars with an award.

Cheers

12. shug119

shug119
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I HAVE A LOFT AERIAL I RUN 5 TVs OF IT ( IT HAS A BOOSTER ) I HAVE A DIGI BOX ON 2 TVs AND A DIGITAL TV. THE ANALOG PICTURE IS VERY POOR, BUT THE DIGI PICTURES ARE VERY GOOD.
    I GOT A DIGI BOX FROM ALDI FOR £27 IT IS OK , SO FAR.
    SHUG

13. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Okay, but it's considered bad etiquette to SHOUT

14. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll second other comments: our analogue TV reception is horrible yet freeview is outstanding.

15. Horace2000

Horace2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello!!

I've got the iplayer and it seems to be the business, I have it hooked up to a wireless USB adapter and can surf the internet, stream videos and music from my PC up stairs and listen to a host of internet radio stations.

I purchased mine from BT many moons ago at a great price of 59.99 including a keyboard and it was the best investment I've made to actually see the price increase!

The latest update added a very smart 7 day planner, that is alot better than those on sky, with channel logo's reminders favorites etc... also the latest update added support for TUTV (Not sure if thats a good thing).

The box has never crashed on me and seems to provide a excellent colour range that seems to be very sharp and clean with no break up so far (my old pioneer box looked inferior).

I had previously read lots of various reviews of the NETGEM iplayer and came to the conclusion that the BT product was much better in value.

I'd recommend it to anyone and the main thing is, it's more than just a digi box!

16. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What sort of signal level is considered good to get the best out of a freeviwe box - my signal level is reported at around 70%, but quality (on a bar underneath) is reported as being 100% good. SHould I be looking to improve my aerial, to get he signal level up? I tried using a booster (plugged in, indoors) and although the signal level increased a few percent, the actual picture quality on the screen looked worse than without it! I know the booster works as I had it ony old CRT with analogue, and it made a massive difference, just seems to make no difference on free view????

17. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Most of the STB's have different ranges for freeview signal strength. What is given as 70% on one box may be listed as 50%. Later production models of the original Pace omelette shaped STB's gave lower signal strength readings than the originals. I compared them on the same aerial one after the other. One 83% other 63/64%. It means virtually nothing.

Not heard from the OP of this thread. Perhaps EAZYROG is still trying for a freeview pic on his loft aerial.

18. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loft aerials often require an amplifier to be installed there as well. You would be a better reception if the aerial was outside.

Good high gain aerials are the Blake DMX 10 and the Triax Unix 52 but I wouldn't recommend the Unix 52 for an external install. If you are in a really poor reception area I suggest the Televes DAT 45.

19. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends how much you wont to pay m8.but the best freeview box is the topfield tf5800t this is the 1 thats setting the standards has 2 tuners 160gb hdd you can pause tv etc like sky + watch 1 prog & record at the same time or record 2 while watching a previously recorded prog.this is the 1 i would go for picture & sound is exellent & features are second to none it is also available in black silver & polar white has cam slot for pay tv also as well as pip & pig on epg.regards nick.

20. spiderman78

spiderman78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi I just wanted to say thanks to all those that have recommended the Sony Freeview box on here. Picked one up today for the bedroom and am using a indoor aerial that works a treat.

See indoor aerial HERE

Cheers guys:clap: