Best Freesat recorder? (given that Humax HDR 1010S is still buggy)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by trium, Jul 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. trium

trium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see FTA broadcasts with reasonably good picture quality, so I was attracted to Freesat rather than Freeview.

However for the last couple of years I have held back from buying a Freesat recorder as the best I was able to find was the Humax 1010S but it was buggy, responded slowly to commands, had new bugs in software updates, tedious to navigate through layers of menus, etc.

I have come back to see what's available and am immediately struck by threads here which suggest that there have not actually been any significant improvements with the Humax 1010S.

Are there any other Freesat recorders which have since appeared on the market which I should consider?

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    So what is wrong with the Freeview picture quality that attracts you towards Freesat?

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Yes, there are arguments for Freesat, but that isn't one of them.

4. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    In my experience it is, some of the SD channels in particular are low bit rate blocky messes. There is much more bandwidth available via satellite, that doesn't mean the broadcasters use it sensibly, though in general I think satellite bit rates are higher.

OP doesn't mention the need for catchup TV, so the original Foxsat HDR with custom firmware takes some beating IMO.

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    And the T2 with custom firmware for Freeview.

6. trium

trium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the SD picture quality on Freeview is poor. I don't watch those SD channels at all but I would if the quality was a bit better. I have seen several people write that Freesat picture quality is better.

7. trium

trium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to have catchup but it's not essential. The main thing is to be able to view and record decent quality pictures and to do so without the unpleasant user experience many people complain about on the Humax 1010S. Would the Foxsat HDR fulfill these requirements?

Apart from catchup what features would I be missing? (Perhaps this comparison has been made in detail before and someone can link me to it.)

8. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    What, the SD picture? I noticed no PQ difference between the Foxsat and the Freview T2 in either SD or HD (I'm not comparing SD with HD). But hey, I am old but don't try to imagine things that are not there.:)
    But if you really want a Foxsat HDR box. I have one that I no longer use, as if I need Sat, my TV does that for me.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    You have waited far too long in making a decision about what is and always has been an excellent product. There is now a new Freesat box the 1100s.

No doubt this will be another blinder. Instead of believing everything you read on the Internet you would have been better served in purchasing said item and making a judgement for yourself.

10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    The picture on the HDR-10x0S's is better than the Foxsat, with a lot less on-demand facilities.
    The Foxsat with custom firmware however does have some very nice add-on such as a DLNA server (but no client) and network access to recordings.