best free view box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gpa, Mar 18, 2006.

1. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi all could someone advise me on the best option for free view, price is not an issue, picture quality is, as is sound.

or should i make use of my pace 160 sky box, if so how do i convert to free view

cheers

grant

2. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The Sony VTX-D800U seems to get the best comments.

If money is no object personally I would not bother with a single tuner box but look at twin tuners with a HDD like the Digifusion FVRT200 or the Topfield (which I use).

Unless you have a digital tuner in your TV with a single tuner box you cannot even watch one digital channel and record another at the same time.

Richard

4. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I have four different freeview boxes (in sig) and I can't see or hear any difference between them whatsoever. The oldest one, the Pioneer, is a few years old now and is as good picture and sound wise as the others. The main differences are the speed at which they work, the programme guide, the design and build quality. All of my freeview boxes have similar build quality but the fastest to operate is the Sony, the slowest by far is the old Pioneer. The best programme guide is on the Humax PVR's although the Sony is pretty good. If you don't want a PVR I'd buy the Sony VTX-D800U although you do need a scart socket on your TV as it doesn't have RF out.

Picture and sound quality between Sky and terrestrial freeview is similar, although If pushed I would say freeview is very slightly better on my equipment.

5. lee32uk

lee32uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the Sony vtx-d800 freeview box and its superb.No lockups at all and its got a great epg too.Works well with weak signals too, as my tv cant get ch5 at all, but the sony picks it up no problem :smashin:

Only slight drawback is there is no cam slot for top up tv but that doesnt really bother me

6. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Thanks guys

just looking at the spec and read the following:

"Access all FREEVIEW TV and radio channels through an analogue television."

Not sure what this means, as I have no tuner tv, I am guessing all i need to do is connect to arial and away i go, still interested in wether I can use my current sat

7. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It just means that if you plug it into your tv (via scart) you will be able to receive freeview channels (as long as you can receive ok and your aerial is up to the job) - your a bit vague as you say "I have no tuner tv"? However as long as you have a scart input all should be okay.
    I have always found the netgem I player to have very good picture and sound quality.