1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best free spam-stopping programme!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by PoochJD, Oct 9, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good, totally free Spam-stopping programme, that will work on Windows XP and with Outlook Express please?

I'm also using a regular 56k dial-up modem/internet connection.

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    One tip without using software is if you get an e-mal form unknown persons do not open it up, click ones to highlight it, them go to messages, and click on block sender, then delete the letter.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    mailwasher pro
    downloads the heading and first 5 lines of text from each email
    so you can choose the ones you want to download and delete the rest

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spamming is a particular topic of mine. Here are my tips (tips :D )...

1. Don't use Hotmail. I've set up new accounts, gone back a couple of days later without even having used the thing and it's full of spam already.

2. Use an odd log in name with numbers, letter and extra characters if you can. Spammers go through obvious word lists.

3. If it gives you the option, turn off images in your in-coming mail. Spammers can tell that an account is active when an image loads on your account.

4. Use two accounts. One for message boards, log ins, account details etc, and one for personal e-mail. Spammers use bots to havest e-mails on message boards, web pages etc. Make sure the latter is nowhere public.

5. Send abusive e-mails to your mates whenever they send you e-greeting cards or put you on chain e-mails. Both are used to harvest e-mail addresses.

6. Go into account options and make sure 'contact me' and directory options are off. At one point Hotmail put you on a public directory by default.

7. Don't click unsubscribe unless it's from a reputable company. Again, you could be registering that your account is active.

Can't think of anything else for now. As you can tell I'm slightly obsessed, I find spam, junk mail and msm adverts :mad: really intrusive. On my personal account I probably see a spam e-mail once a fortnight and the account is five years old.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hotmail can be safe - use a spammy sounding name - I use a vcr model number

6. mik

mik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    k9, wonderful

7. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Have to admit I use BT Yahoo and it filters my mail for me. Only started using it through laziness - I could't be ars*d to set up any other mail account when I got my BT Yahoo account set up. However it seems to work for me and filters all my spam.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first thing I'd suggest is not using Outlook Express. It's a nest of security holes and vulnerabilities. (if you do use it, make sure it's fully patched) While Express won't cause you to get more spam, it will make it easier for malignent emails to install spyware or viruses. I suggest using Eudora or one of the open-source email clients instead.

As far as Spam is concerned, I primarily use Yahoo webmail. Their spam filter is getting quite good.

9. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    spamnet - superb! it matches emails against a remote database which is constantly updated - it regularly caught 95%+ of all spam

our exchange server at work now integrates with it and works a charm

one thing, i think u have to pay a monthly fee for it...

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    strange this, but when i had my Hotmail junk mail filter set to the medium setting, i would get about 10 junk mails a day, most of which would get sent to the junk mail folder.

Well i was getting a few personal e-mails sent to the junk mail folder, so i decided to put the filter on the low setting, and then just manually delete any junk mail which landed in my inbox.

OK well it's been about 2 months since i did that, and i haven't had any spam mail at all in my hotmail account, not a single message! it seems good old microsoft send junk mail to your account, just to prove their filter works!! Of course i have no proof of that, but what other explanation is there?

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Another vote for Mailwasher here :thumbsup:

12. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know you mentioned Outlook, but I moved to Mozilla Mail for it's Junk Mail filtering.

Very good once you've taught it. Will move to Mozilla Thunderbird once V1.0 comes out.