• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best for sound second hand receiver for around £200.

Ja55

Hi All

I'm looking for a second hand best audio quality amp / receiver for around £200 and would like some suggestions. More interested in sound quality than features but no point paying more as I can pick up a Denon 1912 for £250 with all latest bells and whistles and it supposedly sounds decent.

Will need to connect to my TV via HDMI and take HDMI connection from a blu ray player and Sky HD box and a component connection from a WII box. Would like it to do upconversion but not upscaling for WII as TV will do the upscaling. About the only feature I would like is HDMI pass through as the reciever will not be used for regular TV viewing.

Room to be used in is 4.5m x 3.5m x 2.2m (LxWXH) and speakers are AG ADivas and Quad L2 sub.

Current HK receiver has packed up :(

Thanks
Jas

Last edited:

whos mother

Hi All

I'm looking for a second hand best audio quality amp / receiver for around £200 and would like some suggestions. More interested in sound quality than features but no point paying more as I can pick up a Denon 1912 for £250 with all latest bells and whistles and it supposedly sounds decent.

Will need to connect to my TV via HDMI and take HDMI connection from a blu ray player and Sky HD box and a component connection from a WII box. Would like it to do upconversion but not upscaling for WII as TV will do the upscaling. About the only feature I would like is HDMI pass through as the reciever will not be used for regular TV viewing.

Room to be used in is 4.5m x 3.5m x 2.2m (LxWXH) and speakers are AG ADivas and Quad L2 sub.

Current HK receiver has packed up :(

Thanks
Jas

I got an onkyo 806 for around 200 quid used and I think its amazing soundwise its in a different league to a newer 250 quid amp,that seems to fit the bill perfectly for you.

The wife insisted on hdmi passthrough as she wants just the sound of the TV:confused:,me I listen to everything through it

bow79

Blue Ray can have sound formats that are not decoded by older amps. Some blue ray players can put each channel out of a phono. Some older amps have multi channel inputs. Some older amps that onece cost more than £1000 can be had for less than £200. However electrical things tend to get better and cheaper.
Where do all these lines itersect? Hopefully wiser heads than mine can tell you.

Ja55

Thanks for the heads up on the 806. I'll add to my potential list.

Bow, when I was referring to old I should have said I'm not looking for something older than 3 years. Think 2009 was when most receivers came with True HD decoding. Dont think there has been any new must have coding / formats since?

I had a quick look in the classsifieds and eBay but the rated 3 year old amps / receivers seem to be selling close to £300 still. Not sure whether to wait for something to come up or just buy the AVR-1912?

Thanks
Jas

Nevaborn

jassi_hayre said:
Thanks for the heads up on the 806. I'll add to my potential list.

Bow, when I was referring to old I should have said I'm not looking for something older than 3 years. Think 2009 was when most receivers came with True HD decoding. Dont think there has been any new must have coding / formats since?

I had a quick look in the classsifieds and eBay but the rated 3 year old amps / receivers seem to be selling close to £300 still. Not sure whether to wait for something to come up or just buy the AVR-1912?

Thanks
Jas

1912 is good but also try finding a Yamaha 671 you may be able to find one at £250 but are around £300

=)

Member 566779

The 806 for £200 is a bargain indeed... but there is always a risk with AV amps several years old and no warranty... Depends if you have speakers that justify the amplification of the 806 otherwise get the 1912 or pioneer vsx921 for £250ish and be reassured.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom