Best for gaming

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by olly1, Jan 9, 2008.

1. olly1

olly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all
    As an avid gamer and fancying an ever larger image what would in your opinions be a really good projector for gaming ie dlp ,lcd,720 ,1080p.I,m a complete novice as far as projectors go.Dont know about budget possibly up to 2 grand please advise.When I first started looking I quite liked the reviews the panasonic pt-ax200 was getting,but reading on here there seems to be a few issues with them.
    Thanks all any feedback will greatly be appreciated.:thumbsup:

2. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi mate

I don't own the panny but they have a great reputation, any setbacks you read on them shouldn't put you off!

I personally own a Sanyo Z5 - 720p its awesome, you can see screens of gameplay on my setup here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670505&highlight=Dal's+Setup

I'm really impressed at the image quality on it for the price, £700 at the time, and make no mistake, im not compensating image quality for price here, the PQ is amazingly good... very happy with it.

You say your budget is 2k hey?.... you could go fancy with a true 1080p projectror .... but personally I'd buy a top 720p and spend the rest on a awesome sound setup...

You might struggle to find the Z5 ... but you could look at Sanyo's Z2000...

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    People generally tend to go with a fairly bright projector for gaming. Also on-chip DLP seems to be favoured because of it's super sharp pixels and high punch in bright scenes. With dlp you have to make sure you aren't sensitive to rainbows. + if you're socially gaming a lot, it might be a risk for guests.

1080p dlp - brighter black levels, some of the 1080p models have inflexible mounting options, great punch. Rainbows.
    1080p lcd - potential for dust to enter creating blobs on the screen, good allrounders.
    1080p sxrd/dila/lcos - expensive compared to lcd but sealed from dust.

Personally I'd be tempted to check if the Optoma dlp models could fit in your environment and also the new Benq w5000.
    I would also have a Sony VPL-VW60 at the hong kong import price.
    Another hong kong favourite might be the new Epson tw2000. It is bright in the less realistic colour modes too.

If you really want high lumens for daytime playing, then the ax200 might be the brightest for not much money. It's probably the only reason I would go with 720p though in today's climate.

Most of these projectors are very new, so reviews can be thin on the ground.

4. olly1

olly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your response guys how bad is this rainbow effect what exactly do you mean,read somewhere else it can make some people feel sick.Is it like seeing 50htz screen flicker on crt which unfortunatly I can see,or is it more like a shimmering effect.
    Cheers.:thumbsup:

5. jazzert100

jazzert100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have been using an Optoma hd65 for gaming on a PS3 and frankly can't get over the quality,and then there's the price, available for a mere £400!
    True 720p and probably giving other manufacturers nightmares over it's price tag!
    No rainbow effect for me either.

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    There's a thread a bit further down called Rainbows and in the middle, there's a post by Avi which links to a little demo of what RBE is.
    The vast majority of people who buy projectors are probably not even aware that there is an issue, but there are many who find it distracting or worse headache-inducing.

7. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

For those that don't see them this is what it looks like to those that do - http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

Source: AVI
    (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684507)

8. olly1

olly1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many thanks guysfor all your input,it looks like I will have to see a dlp in action for myself to see if Ican see rainbows.:thumbsup:

9. IRobot

IRobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049