1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best for £2000 (including stand)?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wigwam_salesman, May 17, 2005.

1. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, what's the best DLP RPTV available for my budget? I have a thread on the plasma forum and they said that for my budget I would be better off with a DLP RPTV. I have looked at the samsung SP50L7HX and it looks fantastic. I have a couple of issues though. 1) where do I put all my equipment!? 2) Where would my centre speaker go!? It seems a rather strangely designed stand for a TV marketed at home cinema lovers!

Main sources would be sky+, panasonic DVD (home cinema in a box jobbie) and PS2.

How deep are DLP RPTV's? If my equipment/speaker problems are not compatible with the samsung what else would be good? I love the look of the sony grand wega's.

And finally. Are any of these DLP RPTV's as good for PQ (in everyday circumstances, curtains open etc) as the main plasma I was looking at which was the Hitachi 42PD5200.

Thanks for reading all that!

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Hi Wigwam

Sorry to say this but this topic has been done to death, try searching these forums for the info you require.

:)

3. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd go for the sammy 50 with a budget of 2000 quid, yes it's better than a plasma....much cheaper too!

forget the sony Grand Wega, dont even think about it :rotfl: :D

i'm waiting till autumn/xmas time before i purchase, i'll either go for the sammy 56 or the HLR5667W, HLR5067W........no rush

i'm beginning to prefer the HLR5667W to the pedestal 56 shape, i feel more comfortable with a tv that looks like a tv, rather than something out of Star Trek Next Generation....``tea Earl grey`` :D :D

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may have been done to death but with the rate of new products coming out someone with nearly 1,700 posts on an AV forum should realise that relying on old information is a very bad idea. Even if it is only a week old. :( :thumbsdow

5. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you. I just don't know what to do with my equipment on the stand on the sammy. Actually thats not a problem. The real problem is where do I put my centre speaker. Can it be placed on top of the screen?

6. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Nope, canlt go on top of the screen.

check the other Sammy threads and you'll see a picture from Indian Jones???

Has his speaker standing vertically just off centre on the stand that comes with the TV.

Best compromise i've seen so far.

7. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aah. That rules this tv out entirely then. I can't believe that samsung thought that someone spending £2,000 on a TV would not care if their centre speaker was offset or not! Bet that got someone a promotion!

Thanks for that by the way. Much appreciated.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I am sorry to say that the DLP market doesn't move that fast wigwam and information that is a week old is still valid. There have been many posts requesting what is the best DLP set for £2000 and questions regarding the samsung stand. The forums comes equipped with a good search facility which will help you find what you need.

Search for 2K and samsung stands

I was merely pointing out that members might not post the information you have asked for as it has been posted so many times. Therefore you might not get the kind of response you might expect or information you need. Theres no need to give my comment a :thumbsdow I was only trying to help hense the :) at the end of original comment.

Good luck with your search

:thumbsup:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that tv is so God damned ugly, that shape would drive me crazy :mad:

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the SIM2 in the flesh and it is as ugly as it is in the pics :D I can't believe something that expensive looks so cheap and tacky - it looks like it would be right at home in a local garden centre running a looped advert for Miracle Grow or something.

I would have to echo what Razor said - there is a huge amount of information here that you can find to get the exact information here you are requesting. I started looking in this forum several months ago when I originally found out about DLP (when I saw the infamous LG one in Comet). Ok, so there's a lot to read, but if you're spending 2k on a tele, then I would certainly set aside some time to looking through it - it will give you a more balanced opinion that a magazine review, and you'll probably learn a lot too.

My dilemma is currently I have enough cash to buy a new DLP and new DVD player to go with it, pretty much know the one I would go for etc, but am either moving house or getting made redundant from work - so damn frustrating :D Am kinda hoping something good comes out of the the new Sammy DLPs with the HD4 chip that are rumoured to be appearing soon.

On another of your questions DLP's aren't as deep as traditional rear pro TV's - specifications like that can usually be found on the manufacturers website.

IIRC Sony Grand WEGAs are LCD not DLP. If you're not familiar with DLP technology - then the DLP website will for sure be a good starting point : http://www.dlp.com/. Good luck!

12. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i'm waiting for the new sammys too and in the meantime getting my house rebuilt.......i'll go for either the sammy 56 pedestal or the HLR5667W

i'm getting bored waiting though :D

13. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got a glass table either side of the sammy 50 and the centre speaker bridges the 2.it doesn't really look out of place.

14. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on the location you could always mount a shelf above it for the center. IIRC Stands Unique did an illuminated one which looked quite cool, but it's been a while since I looked at them.

15. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got a pic? My centre speaker is not very large (for now).

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    croozers setup looks amazing! show them your pics!